2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews 8

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Hunk of junk
By TravF on 06/09/08 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this Jeep with high hopes. Boy that got shattered. This thing has had more problems than I can count. First it's not the dealerships mechanics fault but DC. They should give all repair facilities the equipment they need to fix them. Jeep has been in dealership more times than I ever could imagine. Took 11 months to fix the no start problem. Discovered it to be bad fuel injector. Had many parts replaced as a guess as to what was wrong. Terrible vehicle. I average 19 MPG. When first bought got upper 20'S and 30+ on highway. After fixed now its 19!

The Bumps & Grinds of my Liberity
By Tom Daykin on 05/14/08 11:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Mostly I have stayed away from Jeeps but I saw a Diesel engine with a 5 speed automatic trans. I should have remembered American engineers can't mate diesel engines to auto transmissions, they do not understand torque. Problems, Turbo, fuel filter housing, trans filters(not covered $285) and a lot of odds and ends, rattles & squeaks. Sounds like a 40 year old station wagon. On trips I can pass some fuel stations but not many rest stops, the constant jarring of the little bumps in the road seem to magnify to my back and bottom. My travel range per day has been cut in half, but I do get a better chance to see America. It will haul a 4200 lb trailer 2600 miles each way at about 19 mpg.

What a Jeep in Diesel !
By ronhale01 on 05/07/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

This is the best thing to happen to any small suv. After driving this 4 cylinder diesel for two years I still am surprised at the power it delivers. What a shame Jeep does not offer the diesel in the 08 line-up for Liberty.

Lemon
By Lou Szoke on 04/09/08 08:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 05 Liberty diesel was in the shop for four of the first six weeks I owned it. It had to be towed 3 times for starting issues and could not be taken though any car wash as it would stall and not start again for 6-8 hours. It had an oil leak which was never fixed and the Chrysler Rep. from St. Louis was as rude and inconsiderate person as I have ever met. This was a very unfortunate situation that could have been handled much differently to keep a loyal Chrysler fan happy. Chrysler needs to take a close look at their customer service issues. Good bye Chrysler, Love my new Toyota!

Fun but too small for my growing family!
By Memphis slim on 03/20/08 11:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I've had no issues with this Jeep. Just routine maintenance and oil changes. It's fun to drive and has good power. I'm 6'5" and the sets are uncomfortable for me. When I ride shotgun, my knees hit the handle/dash area. My wife says the same thing and she is 5'7". We take long trips (8 hrs) and it drives great but is hvery uncomfortable. We're trading it in since we'll be having baby #2 soon. This was fine for 1 baby but not 2 kids. Too cramped and there'll be no room left when traveling. Also don't spill liquids on the seats b/c the stains will not come out! I've tried everything and all detail shops say this fabric is hard to clean.

Great car if it were reliable
By diesel guy on 02/27/08 08:53 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have owned several diesel cars and had hoped this car would perform as the others. It has a lot of nice features. My wife loves the heated seats and the 6 cd changer in the dash but the cup holders are awkward. Our trouble is with the engine reliability: Turbo boost hose, EGR valve and the numerous recalls. The transmission is now making noise and popping out the dip stick. The sevice engine light is always on. I'm thinking of trading it for a VW

Like my turbo diesel
By Rod Huebner on 01/28/08 14:14 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

The turbo four cylinder diesel has provided about 25 miles per gallon for overall mileage - 23 mpg in winter. I needed something versatile and with decent mileage and have been very pleased with the diesel Liberty. I like it as an urban commuting vehicle because of the great turning radius and the good visibility makes it easy to drive and park. Mileage is very good for an SUV. Great vehicle for taking canoe and camping gear into the back woods. Very good off road. OK on freeway. Not luxurious, but it looks good and is well made. The bonus is the very good towing ability of the diesel engine. Not sure why Chrysler didn't build and promote this vehicle more. Its a sleeper, but a keeper!

Great car so far
By ST on 01/28/08 11:28 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Jeep used from a lady In TN. It had 12K miles on it. Now it has about 27K and I still like my Jeep. I wish it got better milage. I get about 17-19 around town. I also wish the seats did not stain like they do. Other than this, the Liberty has been a great vehicle. I really like the push button rear window opener. That's a nice feature when your hands are full of groceries.

Jeep Liberty Diesel
By Wilson on 01/03/08 23:53 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

This in one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. The desel allows me to tow a good size trailer and still get good mileage. I usually run bio-diesel that is an outstanding value. All in all, this is a great car and I would buy another one, if Jeep was smart enough to keep making them. It is a perfect size.

Just OK
By Jen on 01/03/08 12:14 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I could'nt wait to get my Jeep Liberty and I loved it for the 1st few months. Then I started seeing little things here and there and now I would love to get rid of it!1st let me sayit is a very bumpy ride.When you're the driver you really do not notice it but look out if your the passenger, now I know why all the hand rails. It is terrible! I have a car seat in the back and I feel bad for my son getting bounced around all the time! 2ndly the trunk area is very small.. Can barley fit my family's luggage for vacation and I do not over pack. also, the back seat is pretty small, your knees rub on the back of the front seats. And I will never get used to the window controlls being in the middle.