Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Planned Obsolescence or Malfunction??
By gwent

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

For 5 years I had no issues with my 2005 Jeep Liberty nor prior warning until it's transmission DIED in the middle of I205 @60 mph, fortunately, no one was hurt. Believe it or not, only 75k miles and the transmission died? 5k out of warranty and Daimler Chrysler rejected my plea for help due to lack of regular maintenance? I did my oil change, brakes, tires, but what does it have anything to do with transmission? I did my transmission, differential oil @32k and was planning for another service when it DIED on me. What else do I need to do? I understand that it is out of warranty but what about customer dedication, stand by your product, and good-will? no plan to purchase a 3rd Jeep NOT EVER

Favorite Features

I used to love everything about Jeep but NO MORE!

Suggested Improvements

No suggestions since I don't want to deal with Jeep at all.

Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel
By Frank

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this Liberty used with 65K on it. Drove it home 350 mi. Ran great for the first 3K miles and then trouble hit. I had an oil leak that turned into a need for a new turbo, then a new thermostat. Great truck but the dealer can't get parts very fast. No parts available from the warehouse, so parts must come from other dealer inventories, if they will give them up. If you can, stay away from the Liberty CRD.

Favorite Features

Super fun to drive, when it runs.

Suggested Improvements

Build a vehicle that wont fall apart. Make parts available for the vehicles you sell.

Liberty driven from new to 101000
By danzjeep

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Front Drive Line problems - Speedometer fluctuates and even stalled the car - idler pulley went out - AC failed 2 times. At 101 cruise control is not working and the drive line is thumping again. Not a great car.......

Favorite Features

Towing behind a motorhome is very easy - probably it's best feature - BEING TOWED !

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is too tight and wheels jump..... simpler electronics - baffles the best of them

I love this Jeep
By baustin1981

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. The only big problem I've had is the transmission went out at65k of course that was immediately following 2ft of snow, in which I used my Jeep to pull a Mazda 3 up a very large exit ramp in the snow, and pull a Durango 4WD out of the snow. I have lived in 3 different areas since buying my Jeep varying between HOT and Cold Climates and it has never failed to perform. It does ride a bit ruff for everyday use but it's well worth it considering how tough this Jeep is. The only thing stopping me from buying another one is the new body style. I hope they change it back by the time I need a new 1 or at least mount the spare on the back again.

Favorite Features

Body style/looks, 4X4 works great, visibility, durability, capability. Great as a small family/work SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Window switches in bad position, interior stains easy, Seats are not most comfortable on long trips, more leg room in back, just a little more cargo room.

my fun vehicle
By Bill Best

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My Jeep is a fun vehicle with economy acceptable at 18 to 22. I like the tight feel of construction and maneuverability' It is not a road car but is enjoyable even on long trips. I would buy another one but I do not think that I will ever need one Go Jeep!

Favorite Features

Easy driving and tight construction

Suggested Improvements

Engine light came on but problem solved when new catalytic converter installed under warranty