Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Too Good for me
By Itikuo

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this with 76,000 miles. It came with all the repairs which was a recall for some ball point pivot or something. I've had for a little over a year now and nothing ever goes wrong other than not putting the gas cap on correctly and getting the light. I love how it has built in diagnostics which will save me money if/when anything does go wrong. I laughed at snow storm last winter in D.C I was pulling the Mail Truck around. Its more than I need so now I'm selling it with only 86,000 miles and nothing wrong whatsoever.

Favorite Features

2+ feet of snow and only truck on the road Good suspension for going over bumps and uneven roads. Very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Back seat comfort really needs improved. Personally I don't mind but 8 hour drive for passengers not so good. Also better fuel economy and I would be keeping this vehicle..

Beware of 3.7
By MostAnnoyed

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Absolutely loved the vehicle, turning radius was incredible, seats very comfortable, power was more than adequate, absolutely loved our Renegade UNTIL at 85,000 the engine seized up at a stoplight, never to run again. Web search indicates there seems to be a random behavior of these engines gumming up no matter how religiously you change the oil and filters or how well you maintain the vehicle. Most disappointed. After five years, the vehicle is worth $1000 as SALVAGE.

Suggested Improvements

improve fuel efficiency and build a reliable engine

Jeep Liberty with a nifty diesel
By nursecrd

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Special ordered this Jeep. I have been quite pleased with this car in spite of some quirkiness. Love the 2.8 L turbo diesel. It is a bit noisy but the torque is phenomenal. This little guy is no slouch on the road. Great fuel economy, 30 - 31 MPG (calculated) when kept under 65 MPH. Fairly good reliability. Torque converter is weak link in the drive train and I am on #3. Engine requires a bit more care than the gas version but it is an easy engine to maintain. Some aftermarket engine parts available (filters) but all else you have get at the dealer and they are not cheap. Adequate long distance road car but very good off road and in heavy snow.

Favorite Features

Love the low end torque. Very good seating position, tight body structure. Economical turbo diesel engine.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger torque converter, please. Longer drive train warranty would be nice too.

Never again Chrysler
By bobgv

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Liberty with the diesel Crd thinking I would get better mileage. Although that did prove to be true the cost of diesel went up and so it didn't make sence to have a diesel. The cost to maintain the diesel is higher than a gas engine. I have had so many problems with the egr valve and the boost pressure sensor, and the egr air flow control valve. I have contacted chrysler and they say TOO BAD Its out of warranty. As soon as I fix the egr (yes again) I am trading in this piece of junk . I have purchased a number of new chrysler vehicles over the years but no longer will I buy anything were they do not test their products and sell juck to the public. Good by chrysler and goo ridence

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

I have seen many things people have pointed out to chrysler over the years and all they do is add cup holders and never change anything that would make the cars better. Get rid of the people who make this junk and buy back the piece of junk you sold me

I Like It.
By me

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I put 1000 miles on my liberty the 1st week, i purchased it,the ride is great,seats need to be more comfortable though. performance is is ok,could be better,but than the mpg would suffer more. All in all my jeep was a good investment.

Favorite Features

exterior looks ride

Suggested Improvements

seats, spare tire location.