2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
regret
By sturnbull on 11/23/08 03:09 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Never again. Nothing but trouble. Only 42,000 miles all valves replaced fuel injectors. One recall on something on front end and now the heater blower switch quit working.

Good Off Road Jeep
By Kinsan on 11/16/08 10:22 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the Liberty used. After fixing a recall which left me stranded the first week I owned it, the Jeep has provided trouble free driving over 100 miles per day in the blazing heat of the Mojave Desert. The turning radius is TOPS on any off-road vehicle I have ever driven, you can turn this thing on it's own radius, can make sharper turns than my wife's Toyota Corolla. If the seats provided more support for long trips, the interior appointed with more of a well built feel and if it was not so bad on gas, I would drive it forever.

Thinking of buying a Liberty - Don't!
By Jenelle on 10/24/08 18:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new and liked it at first. Now I'm having many problems with it - mainly brake issues. At 22,000 miles I had to replace the caliper and brake pads. Now, only a year later and only 4,000 miles later the brakes are bad again and they say I need to replace front and back brakes completely. They claim this is because I live on the ocean (which corrodes breaks faster) but I have lived on the ocean all my life and have never had to replace breaks at 26,000 miles on any other car! The seats put my legs to sleep when driving (and others have told me the same), the horribly designed seats stain extremely easily.I've also had no luck w dealer. Do yourself a favor don't buy this car!

Jeep-Chrysler does not care
By Brad Calgary alberta on 10/21/08 21:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I was originally impressed with the vehicle's fuel mileage and reliability. Then came the first recall to replace the lower ball joints, which was fine, at the same time the torque converter was replaced. This occurred at 12,000 miles, since then the liberty has been back in the shop 4 times, due to the transmission shifting rough, if at all. Each time the shop has failed to find a problem, which is convenient since it is still on warranty. The other major problem, was brake failure. It took taking back to the dealer 3 times before the problem was addressed. And the only reason it was fixed was because the service tech was almost in an accident due to no brakes.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD
By John on 09/05/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

In garage two times for ERG. replaced second time @ 30,000 mi. I now have 83,000 mi and no problems. Get 22mpg all around and 26-33 mpg on hwy @`55- 65 mpg. I am extremely happy with my Liberty! If you can find a vehicle that gets this mileage and can tow 5000 lbs for the price (or, any price?) you better buy it and let me know what it is!

Fun, Small but Stains won't come out!
By Whopper on 07/24/08 19:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I wanted a Jeep Liberty for a couple years before I finally bought one! I traded in my Honda Civic when I became pregnant, thinking it would provide more much needed room! It didn't! Very little room for any passengers once you get a car seat in there! And the seats stain EASILY from anything! Especially any kind of liquid! If your drink sweats, don't let it touch the seat! The stains look horrible and nothing gets them out!!!

Much more good than bad
By Jeep Owner on 07/23/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Although I have not owned this vehicle long, I love it. With gas prices as they are, it is not a gas saver, however, I find that I get the same gas mileage as I got with my 6cyl sedan, yet have more room. This vehicle has a smooth ride and I don't have the fears I have had in other SUVs. I have been easily able to fit 3 car seats in the back. I have found that oversized people are a little uncomfortable riding in this vehicle. I have also found that in heavy rains, the highest speed of the wipers is not fast enough. It is also an inconvenience that you have to get the replacement for the rear wiper from the dealership as it is an nonstandard 13 1/2 inch blade. The seats stain easily

MY 3rd Jeep pc of crap
By nickels55 on 07/22/08 07:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep is a pure highway vehicle, as my previous 3 were. My first 2 had $3K transmission problems at 80K miles, my 3rd, a lease, made several dealer repair visits. I bought the CRD because of the Mercedes built diesel but realize that anything Chrysler touches get messed up. I have 70K miles on the Jeep as it sits in the repair shop getting a new turbo. Stay away from Jeep, my 400,000 miles in 4 different models has shown they are recall/repair nightmares!

Lousy customer service
By jeep on 06/13/08 08:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Dealer was unsympathetic to my plight. EGR valve and engine light. everyone had same problem with the Jeep CRD but the guys at the dealership acted like there was no problem. Dealer had jeep for a week before it was fixed. no loaner car. Jeep customer service was terrible. You roll the dice if you get the CRD. Glow plugs had to be replaced at 20,000 miles. Brakes wear out quickly just normal driving conditions. Jeep did not get behind the Liberty CRD.

Hunk of junk
By TravF on 06/09/08 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this Jeep with high hopes. Boy that got shattered. This thing has had more problems than I can count. First it's not the dealerships mechanics fault but DC. They should give all repair facilities the equipment they need to fix them. Jeep has been in dealership more times than I ever could imagine. Took 11 months to fix the no start problem. Discovered it to be bad fuel injector. Had many parts replaced as a guess as to what was wrong. Terrible vehicle. I average 19 MPG. When first bought got upper 20'S and 30+ on highway. After fixed now its 19!