2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews 6

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Great Jeep
By Mark on 08/29/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought new in 8/05 and have 70,000 miles by 8/09. Simply I have had no problems with this vehicle. The only work has been one recall and regular maintenance. The a/c works great, the transmission shifts tight and smooth and I've been getting 21mpg mixed city and highway. I like the heavy solid feel and great visibility. I have not taken the Liberty off road much but when I have it has performed well. Overall I could not ask for better.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 2WD
By rich9294 on 06/19/09 02:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my Liberty in December of 2004. I had no problems, until year 5. In the last year, the transmission has had two repairs, the left rear window broke on vacation(the glass did not go backup), and there has been one recall. My extended warranty is about to expire, and I am left wondering what will break next when I have to pay the full amount of the repair. Also, town mileage is real, real bad, around 15 mpg. I can usually get 22 to 24 mpg on the road if I drive 65 mph. If I were to assign a letter grade to my Jeep, it would receive a D. I will not purchase another Jeep or Chrysler product, ever again.

Happy.......with a few quirks
By stacey on 06/04/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

In the over-all we love our liberty! Mpg's are not stellar but considering she's a go any where 4x4 and 5400 lbs., not bad! No Major problems but the factory specified routine maintenance costs a small fortune. Fun, safe, peppy (3.7l) comfortable and capable on road and off. One annoying rattle emanating from the rear swing- gate/Glass region with no resolution to the problem in sight, many liberty owners with the same complaint! Very maddening considering a 24k price tag! Maybe "it's a Jeep thing" haha. Other than that we're pleased, let's hope it has the longevity of the Honda crv that we chose it over! Long live the liberty!

rear pinion bearing
By liberty on 05/26/09 20:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I got this after owning a ford explorer.....wrong thing to do.After only 11,000 miles we had to replace rear pinion bearing.Here we are,only 2.5 months and 4,000 miles later, we have to replace it again.It's not reliable,not comfortable,not roomy enough, no storage room, and the list goes on and on. Worse vehicle I ever owned and I can't wait to be rid of it!

CRD - 10 Rest of vehicle - 7
By railguy on 05/03/09 12:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Best fuel economy in a 4WD in the US. Diesel has great power all the way to 11,000 ft. elevations on mountain passes. Best 4WD I've ever owned for winter driving. Diesel performs marvelously off-road. Without serious suspension modification (at least a 2.5"-3.0" lift) and larger tires (245/75R 16 would be ideal), though, it lacks adequate ground clearance for anything but mild off-highway use. A Subaru Forester has much better ground clearance. As noted the factory tires are crap. EGR valve failures are a common problem, though mine have lasted pretty well. Fuel economy ranges from 16 mpg in dead winter starts and stops to 31-32 mpg on highway at speeds 65 mph or less.

Long Term CRD
By Jeepster on 04/29/09 03:39 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new back in April 2005. Have had the normal problems that all CRD owners have had, including 3 EGR replacements. It is a great vehicle for every day use and for some off- road fun as well. I have 500 miles left on my extended 100k warranty, so I'm hoping all will stay well. Most recent problem was my 4wd/2wd sensor going bad - said I was in 4wd, but wasn't. I have learned not to get upset with the dealer when there are issues, but rather DC. I think they put this vehicle out, but weren't ready to support it with stocked parts. I will hit 100k by this weekend, and even with all the CRD issues, I would still buy another, but hoping they put a diesel in the Wrangler Unlimited!

Love our Jeep Liberty!!
By Meg on 04/09/09 09:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

We just bought a used Liberty and we love it! The back door is my favorite feature. It's comfortable to drive, there's plenty of power and gas mileage is good. It drives like a Jeep, not like a car, which is what we we wanted and were expecting. If you want a great little Jeep to take off road and to the store, get a Liberty! Buy American!

Would I do it again? No
By Lildeb on 04/05/09 16:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought new and had problems with brakes from day one. Always told no prob with them even after did not stop me and rear ended someone. Good thing holds up well with very minor damage in crash. Caliper froze while driving had to replace. Prob with CD player skipping on new store bought Cds. AC not very cool takes long time to cool cabin down. It is great in snow and fun to drive. Had other minor issues with vehicle and spent quite a few times in the shop only to be told could not find the problems. Lots of rattles after 4 years. Maintenance on this vehicle very expensive in comparison to others. Also I agree with everyone these seats do stain very very easily. Plain water stains.

The Family Jeep
By Dan on 02/13/09 09:41 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

This Jeep has been a great purchase. Since I purchased it this Jeep has gone everywhere and done everything that I asked of it. It was inexpensive to purchase but has given me excellent on-road and off-road performance. In all my off-road adventures, and I do a lot of off-roading, this Jeep has only left me stranded once when I bottomed it out in some muddy ruts. My previous CJ5 would have been stuck in the same spot. On the highway it has made a lot of trips to Salt Lake City and to Reno and has been as reliable as my Timex watch. The only real work that has been done on it was the recall for the ball joints. IMHO this is the best of this class of 4x4 SUV. 4x is built in, not added on later

Enjoyable but not comfortable
By adk jeep on 02/02/09 05:29 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this jeep because of the looks and the plethora of liberty's on the road. Overall it is a good vehicle. I have the 6spd. tranny and this thing moves! It has to be the fastest suv i have driven. So far i have not had any major problems except the fabric on the seats is not resistant of stains. Even water stains the fabric! Also the seats themselves should provide much more comfort. I am a little disgusted by the common notion that this is a "chick truck". It handles offroad just as well as my previous cherokee and actually is more fun offroad. Some day i'm sure this notion will change just as it did with the "grocery getter" cherokee moniker.