Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Reasonable vehicle for reasonable price
By Joe Chocrame

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have done a lot of highway driving in my Liberty and it has performed pretty well--the Check engine light has come on several times and it difficult to get to stay off. Gas mileage isn't the best. Front seats are quite comfortable however the back seat is quite uncomfortable and crammed. I like having the spare tire so convenient. These Jeeps work great on bumpy roads although the ride is a little rough and noisy. Even in 4wheel high, my warning is not to drive it on the highway in any slippery road conditions. I have gone off the road a few times on the ice at . Thank God the vehicle never has rolled over!Over all its a cute little guy but do not expect to get out of a muddy ditch!

Comfortable front seats, good visibility, good performance off road-- as long as you're not in the mud! Easily accessible spare tire.

More cushioning and leg room in back seat, better gas mileage, better traction

Life saver
By libertyisgr8

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Owned 10 or more previous vehs. (3rd brand new). Over 116k miles later wouldn't trade it for the world. The handling and stability saved our lives - kept us from even having the accident (another driver made left from oncoming lane 50-75 feet in front of us while traveling approx. 55 mph) I Love the tight steering. Original brakes went 84k and still had plenty left. Will be passing on to children.

Steering. Responsive. Will go anywhere! Dependable. Sporty. Fun to drive. Will get up & fly. More power than our in-line 6 Cherokee.

Cloth material will stain easily (water leaves mark always looks dirty). Gas mileage isn't the best. Fog light lenses crack when used in cool weather & expensive to replace.

Piece of Junk
By jpf

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

After 75,000 miles, I had to replace the transmission at a cost of nearly $3000. One would think you could get just a little more mileage than that. The water pump went out at 58,000 miles. Just in time to be covered by the warranty. A lot of rattling which is typical of Jeeps as they age. Goes good in the snow, which is what I'm going to use it for now. But wouldn't buy another one for everyday commuting.

4wd

Better reliability and gas mileage.

Bad front drive shaft
By lmatney

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I am now on my 6th front drive shaft. I am also having my front ball joints replaced for the 3rd time. I have had the rear speed sensor replaced 8 times. It is costing so much to maintain. Also the wrap around back doors makes the doors impossible to open in freezing weather. Mud and snow builds up and freezes.

Front U-Joints that can be replaced without having to buy the whole front drive shaft.

Bad tranny
By Mike B

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I maintained my Liberty as per manufacturer specs (ALL services were performed), yet at 101,000 miles the transmission went out. It failed to shift back into first gear, and would stick between 2nd - 3rd. This is the automatic transmission. $2850 to get it rebuilt. transmission shop says "Chryslers are known for weak transmissions, especially in their vans". Never had a problem like this with Hondas/Toyotas (I keep them to 200,000 miles). I think this will be my last American car.