2005 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

Unreliable
By Pat Rogge

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My Liberty 2005 has proved to be the most unreliable vehicle I've ever had. The first year, the engine had to be removed twice to replace valves, then had problems with transfer case. Then, the rear-end differentials had to be replaced...not once, not twice, not three times, but "four" times. The first three times it was covered by warranty, but not the fourth time. I approached Chrysler for a replacement vehicle, but to no avail. Chrysler is ignoring these problems, indicating they can do nothing. I am definitely stuck with a lemon. Am waiting for the rear-end differential to go out again...which it surely will. What do I do? Sell this piece of junk to some poor unsuspecting buyer

small problems that add up
By J. Doni

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the jeep in 2005 for 21000 does not hold value at all it is worth less than half what I paid 4 years ago. Brakes squeak even though I got the expensive replacements. It is unstoppable in 4wd snow don't stand a chance that's a plus. Had 2 recalls fixed 1 with transmission 1 with ignition. I will not own one again even though it is semi reliable. I should have got one 3 years old and saved 10000 dollars.

Favorite Features

awesome in snow and bad weather.

Suggested Improvements

In general Jeep can do better. fuel mileage terrible. could probably drive a hummer for as much gas as this thing burns.

Liberty Lemon
By Rob

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has had so much replaced on it that its hard to tell whats original. Both front control arms, all brake components (twice), radio, Hub- locks. This is a vehicle that has been babied since day one and never misses a service appointment. From a reliability stand point, this vehicle is a disaster. All of this before 60K miles....I don't know what we're going to do when the warranty is up.

Favorite Features

Nice looking car, fun to drive when its not falling apart.

Suggested Improvements

The entire drivetrain and suspension on this particular vehicle has significant reliability issues. The only other issue is that the cabin does not accommodate anyone over 6' tall comfortably.

Transmission problems
By Cubs1021

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Livery when it was 2 years old. I loved it!!!! Very comfortable and fun to drive. At 58,000 miles, I began to experience transmission problems. The transmission slips constantly in damp and snowy weather and the check engine light comes on. Took it to the dealer 3 times and they still can't find the problem. Calls to the Jeep customer service have been useless. I am also having trouble with the rear passenger window going down. My warranty will expire soon and I am concerned I will be stuck with a huge repair bill. I love the looks and the comfort, but I will NEVER buy another Jeep vehicle. The gas mileage stinks as well. About 15 city. 18 hwy.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, visibility

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage. Also, customer service at the dealerships and the 800 number stinks.

I can live with it
By Dawnlark

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Drives beautiful. Never had a mechanical problem with it, but very uncomfortable. I was hoping I would love it as much as I did my old Cherokee, but it doesn't compare.

Favorite Features

electric window controls in the center console instead of on the doors....great when you lock them because of the kids in the back, but want the adult in the passengers seat to control their own

Suggested Improvements

NEW SEATS!! The seats in the Liberty are aweful....want to get some out of a Chevy Trailblazer!!

When will I learn
By nickels55

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Last 3 Jeeps I purchased brand new all had transmission/4 wheel drive problems resulting in $4K fixs under 100K. NOW this 2005 LIBERTY DIESEL NEEDS A NEW MOTOR This doesn't include the new turbo, paint peeling on bumpers, cracked speaker and the vehicle has never run good since the turbo was installed.

Favorite Features

The tailgate as the new owner drove it away

Suggested Improvements

Focus more on mechanical durability and dependability rather than aesthetics. Train the mechanics to fix what you sell

TOO BAD, SO SAD ...
By Honeybee

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought my Liberty CRD brand new with 222 miles on it. Within one year, had two recalls where I was without vehicle for a week w/ no replacement. Replaced EGR valve and sensor after 2 years, now 1 1/2 years later, have to replace again. Very expensive fix and Chrysler and dealer won't do anything about it. Why buy brand new (or from Chrysler) if their vehicles constantly are in the shop? Regular maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. understandable, but these big ticket items are ridiculous! Never again. (Too bad, though. I was soooo excited to get this vehicle! Always a huge fan of Jeep and Dodge, but this has completely soured my taste for all things Chrysler).

Favorite Features

Turn radius, Diesel, fits two kids and myself an hubbie with room for travel. Sun roof a definite plus.

Suggested Improvements

How about making a car that will actually run without significant breakdowns?

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT?
By Topherious

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I really enjoy this vehicle. I had previously owned a Ford Explorer Sport, and in Comparison I might have as well owned a Small car. This jeep has more towing capacity, better off road capabilities, and is superior in luxury. Heated seats, 5 disk CD changer, The list goes on and on.

Favorite Features

The entire exterior look aggressive, the leather does not wear. Inexpensive to find aftermarket parts I.E. Steel Bumper, Lift Kits, Roof Racks.

Suggested Improvements

Ground clearance

Rust Bucket
By Don

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Owned the vehicle for 4 years and with only 19,500 miles had to replace the brake rotors (and pads) twice. The last straw was the rusted-out transmission coolant line. Body bolts (under the top of the hood in the engine compartment) also rusted. Nostalgia aside, this car is the epitemy of the US car industry of the 50-60's. Poor fuel economy, handling, performance, body integrity, etc. When we purchased the car four years ago, we had to search hard to find one with the "optional" ABS package and side air bags. Doesn't everyone who wants four wheel drive also want four wheel (controlled) stopping too? Our 2005 Liberty was finally replaced with a 2010 MB GLK 350 4-matic...GOODBYE JEEP!!!

Favorite Features

Driver visibility, utility-hauling function & compact size for SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Need to improve: ABS & Stablity Control standard (added in 2006), much better rust prevention measures, better brakes, suspension & road handling, better transmission, better fuel economy and full-time AWD.

Terrific Vehicle
By Tom

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this 2.4L, 6 speed manual brand new and have driven 103k miles in 4 yrs. I love driving this Jeep! It is a tough little 4WD - not to be confused with AWD. The 4 cyl is not fast but is very strong. 6 speed transmission gives good control of power. Great tight turning radius; I can bang U-eys anywhere! Seats do stain easily, but interior finish and quality is very good. I like having power window controls on the center console. Excellent visibility. Also like having a rear window that flips open. Would like to buy a new Liberty but they are bigger, pricier, automatic only, and 6 cyl only, so I'm sticking with my funmobile.

Favorite Features

1. Really fun to drive. 2. Stick shift 3. Tight turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

None.