Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 410 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Love my Liberty!
By jts14

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Even though I have only had my Jeep Liberty for about 2 months, I already love it. I have a red 4x4 Sport with a 6 speed auto and the FAST, yes, i mean fast, 3.7L V6. You can easily pass 90 if you aren't careful! Interior is a bit bland but overall is comfortable and functional. Front seats are almost couch like but still offer enough support for long trips. Love the split trunk door. As for gas mileage, its no prius, but I still get about 18 combined, more than you can say for most SUV's. Almost forgot- you can't have the full jeep experience with out having some fun in the snow, and this sporty and rugged SUV doesn't disappoint. The AWD works effortlessly to plow through any pile of snow.

Swinging trunk door, 3.7L V6, Easy to operate part-time AWD, MPG, comfort, and versatility.

Interior could be spruced up a bit on the Sport Model, Window controls on center console instead of doors.

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT
By lam57

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty RHD new in 2005 for my mail route.
I am on my 7th front drive shaft.
Instead of replacing U-Joints in the drive shaft you have to buy the whole shaft.
The rubber boot around it leaks dust which in turn ruins the drive shaft.
The back doors have such a poor wrap around design, the doors get frozen shut during any bad weather.
I have had to have the transmission rebuilt and have had numerous problems with the front end.
If I didn't need a RHD vehicle I would never recomend this vehicle.
Very expensive to maintain!

Great vehicle!
By dust2dust34

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Liberty in 2008 used and with around 45,000 miles on it. For the last four years, I had absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some recalls and brakes. Had to replace the roaters because of previous owner (boo). Drives just the way I would expect a Jeep to. It's compact and easy and has a lot of get up and go (not a great every day car though - more Jeep than commuter car). Recently have had to replace the transmission cooler lines, front drive shaft and had a leak in the head gasket but considering what I've gotten out of so far, I'm not terribly concerned and I expect to get many more years out of this Jeep. Great buy for me and will keep for a long time!

Great, great, great in snow and when you need 4 wheel drive. Doesn't back down and has a lot of power. Heats up quick (as most Jeeps do in my experience).

When I let the gas fill up on its own, the tank doesn't let you know when it's full and it overflows. There is a super annoying rattle every once in a while coming from the back window.

Not a good buy!
By jenniferb8700

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Happy when we purchased our Liberty in 2005 but since then, we've had to have the transmission rebuilt and u-joints replaced.
The gas mileage is pitiful, too.

Chrysler quality
By peaceriver

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2005 Liberty as a lease return with 80km. During a trip to the US we started to notice a howl from the rear diff which got worse as we travelled. no oil leaks evident. since we had purchased an extended warrenty to 120k, the dealership replaced pretty much everything in the housing at 92km. At 115 km the dealership mechanic said that the rear diff needed service, meaning of course the oil needed to be changed. no big deal we thought although it seemed odd that the oil was dirty so soon after a rebuild. At 153k the rear end started to howl again. $2000+ later and most components replaced. Normally a rear diff ought to out last the rest of the vehicle or so we thought.Wrong!

nice handling, predictable, excellent visibility compared to other Chrysler SUV's