2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
small problems that add up
By J. Doni on 12/22/09 08:52 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought the jeep in 2005 for 21000 does not hold value at all it is worth less than half what I paid 4 years ago. Brakes squeak even though I got the expensive replacements. It is unstoppable in 4wd snow don't stand a chance that's a plus. Had 2 recalls fixed 1 with transmission 1 with ignition. I will not own one again even though it is semi reliable. I should have got one 3 years old and saved 10000 dollars.

Liberty Lemon
By Rob on 12/14/09 08:24 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle has had so much replaced on it that its hard to tell whats original. Both front control arms, all brake components (twice), radio, Hub- locks. This is a vehicle that has been babied since day one and never misses a service appointment. From a reliability stand point, this vehicle is a disaster. All of this before 60K miles....I don't know what we're going to do when the warranty is up.

Transmission problems
By Cubs1021 on 11/21/09 23:46 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my Livery when it was 2 years old. I loved it!!!! Very comfortable and fun to drive. At 58,000 miles, I began to experience transmission problems. The transmission slips constantly in damp and snowy weather and the check engine light comes on. Took it to the dealer 3 times and they still can't find the problem. Calls to the Jeep customer service have been useless. I am also having trouble with the rear passenger window going down. My warranty will expire soon and I am concerned I will be stuck with a huge repair bill. I love the looks and the comfort, but I will NEVER buy another Jeep vehicle. The gas mileage stinks as well. About 15 city. 18 hwy.

I can live with it
By Dawnlark on 11/12/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Drives beautiful. Never had a mechanical problem with it, but very uncomfortable. I was hoping I would love it as much as I did my old Cherokee, but it doesn't compare.

When will I learn
By nickels55 on 10/28/09 10:32 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Last 3 Jeeps I purchased brand new all had transmission/4 wheel drive problems resulting in $4K fixs under 100K. NOW this 2005 LIBERTY DIESEL NEEDS A NEW MOTOR This doesn't include the new turbo, paint peeling on bumpers, cracked speaker and the vehicle has never run good since the turbo was installed.

TOO BAD, SO SAD ...
By Honeybee on 10/27/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought my Liberty CRD brand new with 222 miles on it. Within one year, had two recalls where I was without vehicle for a week w/ no replacement. Replaced EGR valve and sensor after 2 years, now 1 1/2 years later, have to replace again. Very expensive fix and Chrysler and dealer won't do anything about it. Why buy brand new (or from Chrysler) if their vehicles constantly are in the shop? Regular maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. understandable, but these big ticket items are ridiculous! Never again. (Too bad, though. I was soooo excited to get this vehicle! Always a huge fan of Jeep and Dodge, but this has completely soured my taste for all things Chrysler).

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT?
By Topherious on 10/10/09 23:39 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I really enjoy this vehicle. I had previously owned a Ford Explorer Sport, and in Comparison I might have as well owned a Small car. This jeep has more towing capacity, better off road capabilities, and is superior in luxury. Heated seats, 5 disk CD changer, The list goes on and on.

Rust Bucket
By Don on 09/13/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Owned the vehicle for 4 years and with only 19,500 miles had to replace the brake rotors (and pads) twice. The last straw was the rusted-out transmission coolant line. Body bolts (under the top of the hood in the engine compartment) also rusted. Nostalgia aside, this car is the epitemy of the US car industry of the 50-60's. Poor fuel economy, handling, performance, body integrity, etc. When we purchased the car four years ago, we had to search hard to find one with the "optional" ABS package and side air bags. Doesn't everyone who wants four wheel drive also want four wheel (controlled) stopping too? Our 2005 Liberty was finally replaced with a 2010 MB GLK 350 4-matic...GOODBYE JEEP!!!

Terrific Vehicle
By Tom on 08/30/09 08:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this 2.4L, 6 speed manual brand new and have driven 103k miles in 4 yrs. I love driving this Jeep! It is a tough little 4WD - not to be confused with AWD. The 4 cyl is not fast but is very strong. 6 speed transmission gives good control of power. Great tight turning radius; I can bang U-eys anywhere! Seats do stain easily, but interior finish and quality is very good. I like having power window controls on the center console. Excellent visibility. Also like having a rear window that flips open. Would like to buy a new Liberty but they are bigger, pricier, automatic only, and 6 cyl only, so I'm sticking with my funmobile.

Great Jeep
By Mark on 08/29/09 21:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Bought new in 8/05 and have 70,000 miles by 8/09. Simply I have had no problems with this vehicle. The only work has been one recall and regular maintenance. The a/c works great, the transmission shifts tight and smooth and I've been getting 21mpg mixed city and highway. I like the heavy solid feel and great visibility. I have not taken the Liberty off road much but when I have it has performed well. Overall I could not ask for better.