Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

2005 Jeep Renegade 4x4
By Marc

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this because of the incentives at the time - 0.0% financing for 5 years PLUS $2500 rebate. It's early miles still and happily no problems to report. After being stuck in traffic for hours the seat became uncomfortable as most seats do. Drove through thunderstorms very confidently - nice to have security of Selec-Trac AWD. There is less road noise than I expected and braking is adequate considering how heavy it is. All that said, if price were the same, I would go for an Xterra for my specific needs, mostly because of Nissan reliability, but also the more aggressive style and the more powerful engine.

Favorite Features

Good leg room in back seat, low range 4x4, Renegade styling, RBQ radio package, rock rails and great financing!

Suggested Improvements

It needs to go on a diet and lose some weight. Even with V6 there's tons of room under the hood - slim things down of give us a V8 option!

Tough comfort
By Bruiser

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this for my wife. Can't wait until it gets 75k on it so I can use it for outdoor stuff. I'm 6'2", 225# but the drivers seat and area are much more spacious and comfortable than the Ford Explorer we had. We live in a remote area with bad roads so the off road capability, plus the option of being in rwd, awd, 4wd, or 4wd low was a plus. Engine has a lot of zip. Rides a little rough, but not as much as I expected.

Favorite Features

Looks, toughness, off road capability, and engine

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could be better for a small SUV. We get about 20 on the road.

Not meant for 4X4
By POS_Liberity

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Don't ever drive the 6 speed manual in sand. I did twice and the bell housing got full of sand, lost the clutch on the way home and now have to pay big bucks to get fixed. I called corporate office and nothing can be done. Why buy a 4X4 you can't use. Jeep is no longer what it used to be. This thing is a big joke! My Tracker was a better 4X4 than this thing. Never had a problem and drove it on the beach all the time. Anybody want to buy my useless 4X4?

Favorite Features

I do like the ride and everything else about it.

Suggested Improvements

Make it a real 4X4 again!

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death
By Grandma of 3

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have leased two Grand Cherokees and two Libertys (2002 and 2005). Love this little frog, as my husband calls it. Just as plush and much better pickup than my Grand Cherokee that was an 8 cylinder. Fun to drive, easy to park. Comfortable leather seats. Great doodads. Plush, sporty, rides like a car but has lots of room for hauling plants, boxes, etc. when you put down the back seats that fold down very easily. I have had no problems with either of my Libertys. I love it. "My little Beep."

Favorite Features

Leather interior, heated seats, sunroof, satellite radio, styling, ride, comfort. Can't say more.

Suggested Improvements

I'm only getting 15.5 MPG. Could be better.

Not enough storage, seat not comfortable
By jackie

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

My husband just brought this home for me last week. Because of the jump in gas prices over hurricane Katrina, he traded in my Suburban. This is a very fun, solid SUV. However, if you are looking for storage areas to put your stuff, forget it. The glove box isn't even big enough to hold my few maps, no sunglass holder and the seats are not very comfortable, so I am not sure how it will be on long drives. I think this car would be great for a 20ish year old for getting around town or a quick ski weekend, certainly not big enough for a family, and not comfortable enough for me, but until gas prices goes down, it will do, then it will be handed down to my two boys to fight over.

Favorite Features

Very peppy, gas about 22 miles per gallon, feels very sound when closing the doors.

Suggested Improvements

Seats not very comfortable, no storage space at all! No ash tray, I don't smoke, but I put change in it, so where does everyone who does smoke put their butts, out the window! No keyhole on the passenger side of the vehicle?