2005 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

Just Bought This week
By DJK

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought my Jeep Liberty. This is my first SUV ever. I have wanted an SUV for a while and decided I really wanted a Liberty Renegade. I received a great deal with great financing, and the 1,000 customer cash back. My total with taxes and the incentive was 27,784.66. This has to be better than my Volvo was.

Favorite Features

The cd changer with Infinity Speakers, the 4x4, the metal door handles, large console area, and the leather interior, and the tachometer/tripometer

Suggested Improvements

N/A at This time

Great Buy
By Kris B

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

An all around great vehicle and absolutely exceptional for the price! The cargo area is huge and it rolls over curbs and potholes like they aren't even there. There is no question I will buy another one when this one wears out. (as long is gas is not $10/gal)

Favorite Features

Back window works great. Console is efficient. Easy to get in and out of 4WD. Back seat is easy to fold down.

Suggested Improvements

Make front seats softer. The glove box is super small. Perfect car otherwise!

Renegade 4 wheel drive
By Melissac1995

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Drives excellent, fully loaded, but remember it is an suv, 4 wheel drive so expect a little out side noise, whining, and truck like tendencies. But much better than an economy car. I love it!

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive for the beach, sun roof, leather seats and automatic passenger air bag that shuts off according to the weight of the passenger.

Suggested Improvements

Better Radio.

jeep liberty
By johncans

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love this jeep wish i bought long ago

Favorite Features

the 4 wheel drive can go thru snow with ease

Suggested Improvements

it needs a bigger glove compartment

You've Missed the Point
By Bob Gagne

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

If you are buying a Liberty just to do your on-road erends, you have missed the point of this vehicle. It is every bit as at home off road as on. There are smoother riding, better handling compact SUV's out there, but, in my opinion, they don't make it off road. The Liberty is a good compromize between off and on road abilities. I have owned two Wranglers before the Liberty, and the Liberty can go just about anywhere I could go with my Wrangler, but it is a loit bettter handling on the highway than the Wrangler and much more comfortable to drive in for long distances.

Favorite Features

Remote release rear tailgate window Off road capability

Suggested Improvements

Move the power window controls to the door panels

i love my liberty!
By brandnewmidnite

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I was first drawn to the jeep because they have a great rep for being dependable, stylish, and a vehicle that will retain it's value very well. I drive about 30,000 miles every year and I was wanting an suv that would withstand alot of mileage. When I checked out used jeeps on the internet and in the paper, I kept finding ones with well over 100k on them and even quite a bit with 200k. More so than with any other make.

Favorite Features

I love the window control placements on my liberty! It took about a week and a half to get used to, but it's different in a good way! I also like the way the odometers are white with a black interior along with the bulky exterior lights that really accent the vehicle nicely.

Suggested Improvements

I would think that in 2004 a cd player would come standard, but to my suprise it doesn't. Also, the back seats don't individually adjust like I would hope. Possibly ad radio controls on the steering wheel like in the limted grand cherokees. Ad a third seat.

hesitation at 1200rpm
By twigs

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

i experienced a hesitation from new at 12-1500rpm in every gear, dealer thought i was a cronic complainer. i spent 35 years as a dealer mechanic and knew i had a problem. finally a service bulletin showed up to reprogram the computer and problem solved. i really like the car and feel it is a good value. it serves all my needs and is really a jeep.

Favorite Features

power and standard shift.goes anywhere, 4 wheel drive is selectable

Suggested Improvements

turbo charge, dual exhaust

This SUV is ROCK SOLID!
By JP05FAN

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

After owning a Jeep Cherokee for eight years, we decided to add another one to our garage. So we went out to test drive the Liberty Sport 4X4 and WOW were we impressed! Very Smooth (better than our sedan), braking was very good, acceleration was very fast and the engine was so quite (it never was loud or odd sounding). And since being a previous Jeep owner, we were suorised to find that the body roll was cut down to almost nothing! All and all this re- design of the 05 is very solid; and you feel that while drving it doesn't feel flimsy or cheap. And the funny thing is the same day we test drove it we came back later and ordered one!

Favorite Features

The full time 4X4 was a great add on; cup holders are great; seats feel very soft yet more comfortable/supportive than other car manufactures.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage could be better, but come on this an SUV.

Bought My Second Liberty
By RJLOHIO

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2003 Liberty for my daughter's use and loved it so much I bought a 2005 for my use. The updated style and appearance are really well done and it totally fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The relocation of the controls for the windows and the radio controls on the sterring wheel.

Suggested Improvements

More glove compartment space.

Best Little SUV!
By Rayrock

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I test drove just about everything and settled on the Kia Sorento or the Liberty, We were able to drive both back to back. The Liberty has a tighter feel, the Kia was bouncy and felt sluggish. The liberty felt snappy. I like the fact that you can hear the engine. We couldn't get all the options we wanted in one vehicle. We wanted the off-road group and the towning package and got neither. It took over 5 hours to complete the deal!! I still can't belive it. we are glad we have a real Jeep!

Favorite Features

Color, performance comfort

Suggested Improvements

Putthe power window controls on the left door. More nick-nack compartments