Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Just buy it!
By new2diesel

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have been driving Toyotas for years and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality, ride, power and economy of my CRD. I bought the Sport CRD with Tow package for $22,600 - brand new - what a bargain. Toyota can't touch that price. I get 23 - 28.5 mpg which is incredible for a true 4x4. So far so good!

Drain tube off of fuel filter, chrome bumper option, power window buttons on the doors not the console, stretch the vehicle 6 more inches in length.

Weak Automatic Transmission
By Mike_L

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

This 'trail-rated' 4WD minivan is absolutely horrible offroad. Beginning in 2003 Jeep replaced the 45RFE transmission with the 42RLE in a cost-cutting move. The 42RLE was originally designed for front-wheel drive cars and minivans. It is way too little tranny for too much Jeep. It runs way too hot - and heat KILLS automatic transmissions. The 'TRANS TEMP' light comes on predictably under high altitude moderate climbing conditions. Jeep's answer - use low- range at all times while offroad! Ridiculous. If all you want to do is get groceries and go to soccer practice, this is the vehicle for you. If you want offroad performance, steer way clear of any Jeep Liberty 2003 and above.

None, absolutely nothing to recommend on this vehicle.

Go back to the 45RFE tranny - the sooner the better.

They Can't Believe It's a Diesel
By trumpet_washer

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have to tell most people that this is a diesel engine. The performance and fuel economy are much better than the 3.7L V6. Sure, there are some quirks to owning a diesel, but it isn't as much of a hassle as most think. Besides, this is a quite torquey little SUV with a 5000# towing capacity. And the 5 speed automatic with OD lockout is a great pairing for the Italian-made 2.8L turbo diesel. Shifting into and out of 4WD is easy. Even if the only off-road your CRD sees is a mall parking lot, you won't be disappointed with the truck in the least.

I like the spare tire mounted on the rear door. Most all controls are easy to reach and thoughtfully laid-out.

Splash guards should come standard all around. A tire choice other than the Goodyear Wranglers would also be nice.

Third entry
By winter2

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly have 6K miles on my CRD. Has been trouble free save for the one incident at less than 600 miles. Has been flawless since then. Traveled to Florida and averaged 27.1 mpg for the trip. Ran like a dream and ran away a few times because I forgot to engage the cruise control. Seats are really comfortable and I was able to drive for long periods without pain or discomfort. A/C was great in Florida and had a nominal impact in fuel economy. Performance has improved with mileage. More pulling power than before.

Seats, visibility, improved handling with better tires. Brakes even better with some wear on them. Very easy oil change and maintenance.

Have the radio with six CD player and Infinity speakers. Very boomy sounding unless the bass is turned down. Daimler-Chrysler should force the oil companies to produce a higher cetane ULS diesel fuel.

Jeep Liberty Limited
By Cat6208

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research to find what automobile would suit my needs, and I was very excited when I bought my Liberty. Ten months later I can't wait to trade it in. I only get 16.5 mpg and I am cautious about putting my foot in it. There is a mysterious rattle in the back that drives me nuts, I put the radio up loud so I can't hear it. I also hate the way the transmission shifts ... very jerky. I also don't like that it reminds you that you need service every time you turn on your car (while having to wait for my oil change appointment). I also have put in a 3rd windshield because the smallest rock cracks the windshield. I had a Toyota before and never had a problem ... I'm definitely going back.

Heated seats, tire low gauge (the spare tire even has one!).

Transmission, windshield angle so it's not so vulnerable. The rattles throughout the car.

• SUV