2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

Love it
By jane

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Well, I've only had it for a couple of days now, but so far, it's awesome! First day of ownership, it snowed pretty good where I live and it handled great in the snow and ice. It's extremely comfortable with way more room inside then I expected from a Mid- sized SUV. My kids who are teenagers now have plenty of legroom in the back and the rear cargo space holds all that I need. We already own a Jeep Wrangler (1995) which has been more reliable then any vehicle we've ever owned and because of that, we chose the Liberty over the Sorento, Escape and Santa Fe when we test drove all of them. Very happy and I'm sure other potential buyers will be as well. It's fun...you'll love it!!!

Favorite Features

Fog lights, comfortable seating, heater (works way, way good), cruise control and the color (flame red).

Suggested Improvements

Well, it's hard to say being I've only had it for a few days now but I would say better mats...they're OK, but could cover more area. Also, the automatic locks should ALL open when the car is put in park. Currently, none unlock unless you hit the unlock button.

05 Limited
By caz_mn

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. I like the size, maneuverability over other slightly larger SUVs (Envoy, Explorer) and I think the engine is a good match for the vehicle. In the Jeep forum the 4-speed auto tranny is beat up some, but I think it does a good job. It shifts quickly, and is fairly 'smart'. You can confuse it, but that seems to be true for most autos I've driven lately. The interior is well put together and looks very high end. The seats are on the very firm side, but I like that.

Favorite Features

6 disc in dash w/Sirius rocks! Heated seats are my wife's fav. I like the handling/cornering a lot, and the 4WD is excellent in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Typical response... MPG... But not at the cost of performance. My second car gets 40 MPG, so I can accept the 15-19 that I've been seeing.

no more Fords
By BOB NOLAN

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I just purchased a brand new 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade. I needed a 4wd as Wisconsin winters are tough. Never had a 4wd; traded off my 2001 Sport Trac 2wd that ate up front tires and ball joints - was sharp but had to go This hopefully is the answer for my wife too. I like the 70,000 power train warranty . Rebate and trade allowance was good to put me behind the wheel.

Favorite Features

The new seats (cloth) are pretty and comfortable as apposed to the 2004; also the interior is sharp, wide view, easy grouping of instruments, but the color Beryl Green is so sharp with the grey fenders with silver rivets. 4wd easy on the go, up to 55mph - shifting is cool and simple.

Suggested Improvements

None so far, but then again It only has 300 miles on it ,so I'll know more soon.

Liberty 2005 Great Driving
By Mona Furst

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very stable handling; drives as if you're in complete control of your driving. Has great lights for night driving - can see full vision with great side mirrors. We thought the Jeep dealer did a great job at explaining all about our new purchase. I think the exterior looks of this model is going to be a great seller for the baby boomers out there! Thank you.

Favorite Features

Front grille, interior seats and overall looks

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage, nothing else!

Just took delivery today
By stewalaska

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I just got back from rooting around in the Alaskan snow in my new Jeep! I gotta tell ya....this is one impressive off-roader. My Liberty is such a nice change from driving a boring vehicle. I traded a 1995 Pathfinder in on the Liberty, and also have a '01 Outback that does great in the snow, but neither can compete with this machine, especially in the deep, rough stuff. It is obviously too early to give a "real" review since it still has only 100 miles on it, but it got a breaking in this afternoon! Time will tell...

Favorite Features

The awesome four wheel drive. Typical Jeep. Nice simple layout. Nice looks outside without being overly pretentious.

Suggested Improvements

Haven't found anything yet.

Nice Liberty
By Big D

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Jeep Liberty is comfortable, unique, quick, reliable and fun to drive. The short turning radius is great for around town and that is how it's driven mostly.

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive is one of the main reasons we bought the small SUV. We didn't want AWD and most of the others have front wheel drive. Max towing ability is a plus as well as size, unique styling, large gas tank, posi- traction, available dealers are many and so far it's very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

I prefer the window controls on the door. Everything else seems to be in order

New Jeep Owner
By bennoprint

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After having only owend this vehicle for a week - I am excited to be a new Jeep owner. I just got back from taking this vehicle to Colorado and the drive was very comfortable - had great power and overall a great trip. It looks great both inside and out and has many extra's that it'a competitor lack.

Favorite Features

the new chrome grill, other exterior features give the outside that classic jeep look.

Jeep Liberty
By Jack Robinson

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love my Liberty. It is great off roading in the mountains and it gobbles up the snow. The starting feature in 4WD Low without the clutch helps on the steep trails.It turns on a shorter base than my Nissan Spec V. I do get 20 MPG but on the interstate when going above 75 it is a little thirsty. Manual transmission is a little noisy. The brakes seem to be slow pulling down at high speeds.

Favorite Features

It is the greatest off roading in the mountains. Wouldnt trade it for anything

Suggested Improvements

A little more power and better gas mileage.

Good Buy!
By 452drexel

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car for my wife, but was surprised that I, at 6'4", was so comfortable behind the wheel. Interior room and layout is deceptively large for a smaller vehicle. Ride quality and acceleration are also better than I expected. Overall, a well-built vehicle that will serve us well for years to come.

Finally Have My Liberty!
By Jeep Liberty Sport

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love my new 2005 Liberty Sport, and the black clearcoat looks awesome!! After my saturn was totaled in an accident, I am now so grateful and fortunate to own my Jeep Liberty. I have been waiting months and doing my research, which had me stuck between the Toyota RAV4 and the Liberty, both my dad and sister have a Liberty. They are an incedibly well built SUV, that can get through any terrain. I live in a mountain area next to Lake Tahoe, where an SUV really needs to do what it claims, and hands down, the Liberty has the best 4X4 system in it's class, and looks the best too! I did not feel as safe in the RAV4, the choice was easy!!!

Favorite Features

Everything, especially the new details added to the interior such as the position of the window controls, and the new odometer plates! I also love the position of the newer seats, as they do feel different fom my dad and sister's 03 models

Suggested Improvements

I know gas mileage is a common complaint, however I'd rather pay the extra gas money in exchange for saftey and a heavier vehicle, the gas tank is larger, so I do notice less time filling up as opposed to our other Liberties.