Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Third entry
By winter2

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly have 6K miles on my CRD. Has been trouble free save for the one incident at less than 600 miles. Has been flawless since then. Traveled to Florida and averaged 27.1 mpg for the trip. Ran like a dream and ran away a few times because I forgot to engage the cruise control. Seats are really comfortable and I was able to drive for long periods without pain or discomfort. A/C was great in Florida and had a nominal impact in fuel economy. Performance has improved with mileage. More pulling power than before.

Favorite Features

Seats, visibility, improved handling with better tires. Brakes even better with some wear on them. Very easy oil change and maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Have the radio with six CD player and Infinity speakers. Very boomy sounding unless the bass is turned down. Daimler-Chrysler should force the oil companies to produce a higher cetane ULS diesel fuel.

Jeep Liberty Limited
By Cat6208

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of research to find what automobile would suit my needs, and I was very excited when I bought my Liberty. Ten months later I can't wait to trade it in. I only get 16.5 mpg and I am cautious about putting my foot in it. There is a mysterious rattle in the back that drives me nuts, I put the radio up loud so I can't hear it. I also hate the way the transmission shifts ... very jerky. I also don't like that it reminds you that you need service every time you turn on your car (while having to wait for my oil change appointment). I also have put in a 3rd windshield because the smallest rock cracks the windshield. I had a Toyota before and never had a problem ... I'm definitely going back.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, tire low gauge (the spare tire even has one!).

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, windshield angle so it's not so vulnerable. The rattles throughout the car.

replacing great Jeep Grand Cherokee
By J King

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love it. I hope it holds up, I think parts and service could be costly with so few sold. $25.00+ for a fuel filter?

Favorite Features

Power, power, cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support, head lights, back up lighting , mileage.

'05 Liberty Diesel
By Barry

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I've only put a thousand miles on it so far, but the fuel mileage has been great. The 3 fill-up average is 25 MPG+, which includes town and highway driving. I've had it off-road a couple of times and it performed as well as my old CJ7.

Favorite Features

Economical to drive (in spite of the high cost of diesel fuel), fun to drive, and does well off-road. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Suggested Improvements

Put better tires on them at the factory. Relocate the fuel filter to a more convenient location for easier access.

2.8 Diesel Sport
By farout

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

The 2.8 rides more comfortable and feels more stable than the gasoline 3.7 Fuel. MPG is less than expected, but durability should be a far better than the 3.7. The 5 speed automatic is well matched with the 2.8.

Favorite Features

The power is strong and RPM's stay, when towing up hill, consistent. The SelectTrac is perfect for all road conditions. The four cylinder diesel is one strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

The sound level of the engine is significantly higher than that of other diesel engines. Fuel efficiency is mostly in the low 20 mpg. Price of diesel fuel with the added price of the CRD makes it a high price per mile to drive, until fuel price is more in line with gasoline.