Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

How many people have Trans Problems?
By jeeplbrtyrngd5

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have an '05 Liberty Renegade. I have been having many problems and googling out of curiosity led me to this site. I had no idea my issues were so common. I so far have fixed both upper and lower arm joints(rear), ball joints, new brakes front and back (twice), rebuilt transmission, new AC cooling system, new trans hoses, new starter, new alternator, and have had continued lights going out esp. rear lights, my cds also get stuck and refuse to come out, and my belt makes a squeaking sound which is a constant annoyance..

These issues seem to be common based on review but I am questioning how many people have also had to replace the trans in 05-6 Liberty? Is there a way to gather data on that and possibly see about a recall? I don't know protocol but i DO know this is way too common to be "coincidence" or "rough driving"

Think twice about buying Jeep Liberty Diesel.
By antijeepster

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with 31,000 miles on it, two years ago. Since I bought it, I have had nothing but problems. Have had to replace the water/fuel seperator twice and the alternator once. Turbo blew at 49,000 miles and again at 80,000. Have had all the work done at the Jeep dealership I brought it from. After the second turbo was replaced had to bring it back twice to get hoses inside the turbo replaced. That was another $1000 on top of the cost of the turbo ($5,500) each time. Three weeks after I got it back from the dealer the motor blew. Chrysler and Dealership are blaming one another and refusing to help. If you are looking for reliablity and value, look elsewhere.

Great all-around small family SUV
By kal13

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Great little family SUV if you need real off-road performance. Bought it used with 50,000 miles and now three years later with 107,000 miles have had to do nothing but routine maintenance. Just drove it across country (3,600 miles in one week) with no issues going 80+ mph. I change the oil & filter every 6,000mi along with tire rotation and alignment; all other fluids every 30,000 miles and it still drives and runs like new. Has plenty of power and even more torque, no problem passing when needed. Have used it off-road almost everyweekend for three years and always gets me there and back. Handles 12+ inches of snow or mud with ease and has no issues in two feet of water.

Extremely solid build - feels much better built than my wife's subaru or my previous honda. Off-road and poor weather ability - I have no problem keeping up with friends in their Wranglers and FJ Cruisers. Great for snowy mountain roads and unmaintained forest roads. This thing is also at home on the beach in soft sand. Interior feels luxurious for a jeep, very soft yet durable dash and door trim. Have driven many other vehicles since purchasing this Jeep including BMW, VW, Chevy, Honda etc and nothing feels as solid, versatile, or simply fun to drive.

More masculine styling; I did not even consider the liberty at first due to looks but my wife convinced me to test drive a renegade and it turned out to be a great choice. Bring back the solid front axle of the old cherokees - the independent front suspension has its limitations in regards to lift height and ease of home maintenance. could use more storage space up front for things like sunglasses, change, etc. The stock tires are horrible; Jeep should be ashamed to put them on a 4x4 - I recommend replacing them immediately with anything else. MPG of course; 15 city 18 hwy(75-85mph) I can get 22mpg w/ cruise at 65mph but cannot bring myself to drive that slow.

Love my jeep
By mugsy44875

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say i love my jeep and am keeping it till it falls apart. I have owned a 2005 bought used in 2005 with only 5000 miles on it and now has 56000 miles. I usually only do city driving. It wonderful in the snow. The biggest downfall is the mpg. Horrible! That would be the only reason not to buy one. Fun car to drive and small/compact. No major problems at all.

05 Jeep Lib Sport 2WD - Too many problems
By hate

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '05 Jeep Liberty Sport new and for the first 2 years it ran great. After that, it's been all down hill. Since, I've spent $1,300 for a new A/C compressor, $300 for new brakes that still squeal, $2,800 for a rebuilt transmission, the CD player won't eject my CD and haven't gotten that fixed, a fuse that keeps blowing out my brake lights, a passenger side automatic window that cost $400 to fix, and now I have the rear latch that won't open that I need opened to get to the brake lights that have, once again, blown out. I'm told this will cost $500 to repair. I am FED UP with my '05 Jeep Liberty!!!!