Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 410 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

way cool
By rlbrich

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I love my Jeep, right now it is a totally stocked Renegade. I plan on adding a lift kit and larger tires. I keep on eye on the Liberty websites for news and ideas to improve my Liberty. The family loves to go off road and to go geocaching. This is an awesome vehicle. My Liberty is so much better then my first Cherokee was.

The four wheel drive system. And with the Renegade the rock rails and skid plates.

I wished they would put in the SRT6 engine. Make the back windows into vents like on the mini-vans

not happy with Chrysler product.
By Ouellette, Norman J.

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nice looking,decent ride, poor mileage 16.6mpg over 17 months. Very loud engine; not at all happy with this product. First time Chrysler owner will not purchase another ever again. May be good off road?

Remote starter & heated seats.

Improve MPG reduce engine noise.

Worst Purchase Ever (Lemon)
By Poor Decision Maker

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Purchased the Liberty Diesel in early 05 and have had nothing but problems. Every part under the hood has been changed due to continuous stalling, shuddering, etc. EGR valve, torque converter, fuel rail, braided fuel lines, turbo charger, etc. It's been in the shop over 15 times in 18 months and that's only because I have difficult getting it over there. It's left me stranded once, and neither the dealership nor Chrysler is very helpful. Get the extended warranty and keep track of all service records and out of pocket expenses, as you will probably need to pursue under Lemon Laws. It's unfortunate that it's so unreliable as it's a great performing vehicle when its not in the shop!

Separate glass liftgate. Combination of automatic and 4WD with decent MPG. Good power when its running. Stereo is adequate.

Build a vehicle that's reliable.

LEMON
By bob

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

17.75 MPG in 2wd. No willing or capable dealer service in Alaska. EGR problems that have to occur 3 times before lemon law kicks in. Lousy expensive tech manual. High beams light the ditch but not the road. Too many computers and idiot lights enforcing a relationship with greedy dishonest dealers. NO help from Jeep Daimler Chrysler Dodge. All brands I won't buy again. As lousy as this thing is under warranty and as lousy as dealer service is I won't be able to afford to own the fixing on this thing post warranty and I'm locked out of tuning it through the computers anyway. This is not transportation.

Nice color.

Go out of business. I'll buy Japanese even though I don't want to.

Brakes down bi-weekly
By Jane

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Don't buy this vehicle. I'm not kidding. It has extraordinary design defects and is a safety nightmare. It should be recall before someone gets killed. I have owned it for 13 months and to date it has been at the dealership for warranty repairs 19 times. Other consumers have the same problems...they start at approximately 15,000 miles and by the time you are at 25,000 miles you'll be afraid to get behind the wheel. I have limped it into the dealership numerous times.

Mileage is outstanding and why I purchased it.

The vehicle, 1 year old, should go to a junk yard. Extraordinarily disappointed. $30,000 down the tubes.