Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

I wish it were bigger
By Tom

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

The reason I bought my Liberty CRD was for fuel economy and towing. So far the best mileage I've had was 26 on the highway on I40 through the Appalachians in NC/TN. I wish there were more interior room, though. There's a transmission hump right where I like to put my foot when I'm using cruise control. It's also been in the shop a few times, luckily still under warranty. So far, the EGR valve, torque converter, ball joints, a a glow plug have been replaced. The ball joints and torque converter were recalls, though. I also have a problem when the fuse for the rear wiper blowing at random. I think I might trade it in for the Grand Cherokee CRD when it comes out.

Pulls a loaded 16' tandem axle trailer like it's not even there! Great fuel mileage.

Mount the spare tire differently so it doesn't interfere with the trailer hitch. More interior storage for little things like sunglasses, change, phone, etc.

excellent value for the money
By joe predoti

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Great mid-sized suv. After nearly two years and twenty thousand miles my wife & I don't have anything but praise for this vehicle.

Ride, roominess, handling, and "zip."

I feel that the suspension could be tuned to feel a little more"controlled". By that I mean, in my opinion, the vehicle should feel a bit more sturdy.

Gotta love it.
By Michael Bender

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Liberty. The 2002 had the gas engine and averaged 18-19 on the highway at best. This diesel version approaches 30mpg at 58-65 mph. I love the tight turning radius which makes parking a breeze and the fact it is much more nimble than the larger Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has proved very capable of pulling a heavy trailer and pushing through snow. We are very happy with it. The diesel is barely audible with the radio or CD player on and never smells like a Greyhound bus.

Ease of parking. Excellent fuel mileage. Tenacious all wheel drive. Good visibility. Ease of entry. Fold down seats for added cargo space. CD player holds 6 discs. Heated seats, great in cold weather, I can reduce temp inside Jeep to stay alert on long trips and wife can stay warm with seat on.

Splash guards that came with running boards do not provide adequate coverage from tire splash. Cup holder is too close to center console, won't allow tall cups. Small glove box. Fuel opening too small for many diesel pumps. Prefer single piece cargo liftgate over present two piece.

After Two Year, I'm Very Impressed
By fletchman

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my '05 Liberty Limited for two years now, and after 30,000 miles, I'm very impressed. I've not had a bit of trouble with this vehicle. I can't believe the improvement in build quality over the past 20 years for Jeep. All I do is perform regular service, and drive it. I love this vehicle. A lot of times I'm on the freeway, and the luxury features of the Ltd. are great. Other times I'm using the 4WD to get to trail heads or on snowy or icy roads. Never a lick of stress or strain. Great vehicle. The gas mileage stinks, but this is a truck shaped like a box, not a car shaped like a wedge. Also, I can put my bike in the back upright with the rear seats down, front bike tire off.

Heated leather seats, Sirius satellite radio, power everything, audio controls on the steering wheel, shift-on-the-fly 4WD, easy-flat-folding rear seats, huge storage in the back. Plus, I love the versatility: Looks good at the theater on Saturday night, works great getting to trailheads on Sunday.

The glove box and other storage up front is pretty limited. The lockout switch on the auto transmission is balky -- I really have to shove the shifter forward hard sometimes to trip the switch that allows me to get the key out.

I used to love Jeep, until.....
By Simone

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned 4 Jeeps and this was my first Liberty. It is only 18 months old with 25,000 miles and I can't tell you how many times it has been in the shop. It had to have the engine taken apart after only a month! It is in the shop now actually for another 7-10 days having the engine taken apart again. Unfortunately I am past the lemon law point and am frustrated because I have always loved my Jeeps, but this is getting ridiculous. I am having all these problems now, what is going to happen as soon as the warranty expires. I don't think I will be able to keep it that long.

The exterior design.

Better upholstery and BETTER BUILD!

• SUV