Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

After Two Year, I'm Very Impressed
By fletchman

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my '05 Liberty Limited for two years now, and after 30,000 miles, I'm very impressed. I've not had a bit of trouble with this vehicle. I can't believe the improvement in build quality over the past 20 years for Jeep. All I do is perform regular service, and drive it. I love this vehicle. A lot of times I'm on the freeway, and the luxury features of the Ltd. are great. Other times I'm using the 4WD to get to trail heads or on snowy or icy roads. Never a lick of stress or strain. Great vehicle. The gas mileage stinks, but this is a truck shaped like a box, not a car shaped like a wedge. Also, I can put my bike in the back upright with the rear seats down, front bike tire off.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, Sirius satellite radio, power everything, audio controls on the steering wheel, shift-on-the-fly 4WD, easy-flat-folding rear seats, huge storage in the back. Plus, I love the versatility: Looks good at the theater on Saturday night, works great getting to trailheads on Sunday.

Suggested Improvements

The glove box and other storage up front is pretty limited. The lockout switch on the auto transmission is balky -- I really have to shove the shifter forward hard sometimes to trip the switch that allows me to get the key out.

I used to love Jeep, until.....
By Simone

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned 4 Jeeps and this was my first Liberty. It is only 18 months old with 25,000 miles and I can't tell you how many times it has been in the shop. It had to have the engine taken apart after only a month! It is in the shop now actually for another 7-10 days having the engine taken apart again. Unfortunately I am past the lemon law point and am frustrated because I have always loved my Jeeps, but this is getting ridiculous. I am having all these problems now, what is going to happen as soon as the warranty expires. I don't think I will be able to keep it that long.

Favorite Features

The exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Better upholstery and BETTER BUILD!

Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4
By CRD Limited

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had the vehicle over one year with no problems. Only regular service has been done. I have driven on road and off road in Deep South Texas in mud and on sandy beaches. I drive 50 miles a day on open highway pavement plus another 40 plus in city with an average MPG of about 25. Plus it does well in Mexico on steep mountain roads where 1 1/2 MPH is fast. I did change the original tires to meet the demands put on the vehicle from road type tires to all surface tires. It goes through one foot of water with rocky bottom no problem.

Favorite Features

Economy and meeting all demands,

Suggested Improvements

More room on the dash area and rear seats for things to stay put when off roading. Might suggest more pockets built in and level the dash or insert some places to put binoculars and guide books. It could be bigger inside, but that would take away other pluses.

My 2005 Jeep Liberty
By crandreww

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

We love our Jeep Liberty. It is sporty and fun to drive. Only drawbacks are interior noise when driving, especially on the highway. The major drawback for me is the gas mileage. I do mostly in town driving and it averages about 15-17 miles per gallon. On the highway it averages about 23 miles per gallon. It is a V6, so I guess that's not too terrible, but with gas prices hovering anywhere from 2-3 dollars per gallon, it hurts to have to fill it so frequently. Another drawback is the glove compartment is so small the owners manual doesn't even fit in it. Not much for extra storage space either.

Favorite Features

The power sunroof is the best I have ever had in a vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the size of the glove compartment and add some additional storage space.

this vehicle is really holding up well..
By carlrun

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I ride to NYC everyday (45 miles each way). I spend a lot of time driving. This is one of the best all around vehicles I've ever had. Smooth ride, not squishy. Good isolation from the road. Great visibility, sturdy, relatively quiet, no rattles yet. Rides over potholes and ruts great. Turning radius is excellent. And, it's 4 wheel drive...so snow is no problem.

Favorite Features

The upgraded interior and sound insulation in the Renegade is a much better level than the Sport. So is the ride. Renegade model distinctive "old style" grille and front layout, nice add ons like the tire/wheels/rim/wheel flare package, suspension, gears, tow hooks and fog lights.

Suggested Improvements

No carrier racks for the style specific roof rack rails. The cd player has had constant problems. Chrysler knows about this. Same thing with the tire pressure alarm.