2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Think twice about buying Jeep Liberty Diesel.
By antijeepster on 05/09/12 11:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with 31,000 miles on it, two years ago. Since I bought it, I have had nothing but problems. Have had to replace the water/fuel seperator twice and the alternator once. Turbo blew at 49,000 miles and again at 80,000. Have had all the work done at the Jeep dealership I brought it from. After the second turbo was replaced had to bring it back twice to get hoses inside the turbo replaced. That was another $1000 on top of the cost of the turbo ($5,500) each time. Three weeks after I got it back from the dealer the motor blew. Chrysler and Dealership are blaming one another and refusing to help. If you are looking for reliablity and value, look elsewhere.

Great all-around small family SUV
By kal13 on 04/16/12 23:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Great little family SUV if you need real off-road performance. Bought it used with 50,000 miles and now three years later with 107,000 miles have had to do nothing but routine maintenance. Just drove it across country (3,600 miles in one week) with no issues going 80+ mph. I change the oil & filter every 6,000mi along with tire rotation and alignment; all other fluids every 30,000 miles and it still drives and runs like new. Has plenty of power and even more torque, no problem passing when needed. Have used it off-road almost everyweekend for three years and always gets me there and back. Handles 12+ inches of snow or mud with ease and has no issues in two feet of water.

Love my jeep
By mugsy44875 on 03/25/12 05:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say i love my jeep and am keeping it till it falls apart. I have owned a 2005 bought used in 2005 with only 5000 miles on it and now has 56000 miles. I usually only do city driving. It wonderful in the snow. The biggest downfall is the mpg. Horrible! That would be the only reason not to buy one. Fun car to drive and small/compact. No major problems at all.

05 Jeep Lib Sport 2WD - Too many problems
By hate on 03/16/12 08:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '05 Jeep Liberty Sport new and for the first 2 years it ran great. After that, it's been all down hill. Since, I've spent $1,300 for a new A/C compressor, $300 for new brakes that still squeal, $2,800 for a rebuilt transmission, the CD player won't eject my CD and haven't gotten that fixed, a fuse that keeps blowing out my brake lights, a passenger side automatic window that cost $400 to fix, and now I have the rear latch that won't open that I need opened to get to the brake lights that have, once again, blown out. I'm told this will cost $500 to repair. I am FED UP with my '05 Jeep Liberty!!!!

Love my Liberty!
By jts14 on 02/11/12 19:16 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Even though I have only had my Jeep Liberty for about 2 months, I already love it. I have a red 4x4 Sport with a 6 speed auto and the FAST, yes, i mean fast, 3.7L V6. You can easily pass 90 if you aren't careful! Interior is a bit bland but overall is comfortable and functional. Front seats are almost couch like but still offer enough support for long trips. Love the split trunk door. As for gas mileage, its no prius, but I still get about 18 combined, more than you can say for most SUV's. Almost forgot- you can't have the full jeep experience with out having some fun in the snow, and this sporty and rugged SUV doesn't disappoint. The AWD works effortlessly to plow through any pile of snow.

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT
By lam57 on 01/13/12 15:06 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty RHD new in 2005 for my mail route. I am on my 7th front drive shaft. Instead of replacing U-Joints in the drive shaft you have to buy the whole shaft. The rubber boot around it leaks dust which in turn ruins the drive shaft. The back doors have such a poor wrap around design, the doors get frozen shut during any bad weather. I have had to have the transmission rebuilt and have had numerous problems with the front end. If I didn't need a RHD vehicle I would never recomend this vehicle. Very expensive to maintain!

Great vehicle!
By dust2dust34 on 01/04/12 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Liberty in 2008 used and with around 45,000 miles on it. For the last four years, I had absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some recalls and brakes. Had to replace the roaters because of previous owner (boo). Drives just the way I would expect a Jeep to. It's compact and easy and has a lot of get up and go (not a great every day car though - more Jeep than commuter car). Recently have had to replace the transmission cooler lines, front drive shaft and had a leak in the head gasket but considering what I've gotten out of so far, I'm not terribly concerned and I expect to get many more years out of this Jeep. Great buy for me and will keep for a long time!

Not a good buy!
By jenniferb8700 on 10/25/11 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Happy when we purchased our Liberty in 2005 but since then, we've had to have the transmission rebuilt and u-joints replaced. The gas mileage is pitiful, too.

Chrysler quality
By peaceriver on 06/07/11 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2005 Liberty as a lease return with 80km. During a trip to the US we started to notice a howl from the rear diff which got worse as we travelled. no oil leaks evident. since we had purchased an extended warrenty to 120k, the dealership replaced pretty much everything in the housing at 92km. At 115 km the dealership mechanic said that the rear diff needed service, meaning of course the oil needed to be changed. no big deal we thought although it seemed odd that the oil was dirty so soon after a rebuild. At 153k the rear end started to howl again. $2000+ later and most components replaced. Normally a rear diff ought to out last the rest of the vehicle or so we thought.Wrong!

BEST CAR EVER OWNED!!!
By jeeplib0545 on 02/25/11 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my jeep in 2009 with only 33,000 miles on it. I haven't had a single problem with it since the day I've gotten it, and I love it so much! I've had cars in the past that were awful, and my jeep is truly dependable and reliable. My family has owned jeeps, and will never own anything but Jeeps! If you are looking for value for your dollar, the Jeep Liberty Sport is worth every penny!