2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Love my jeep
By mugsy44875 on 03/25/12 05:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say i love my jeep and am keeping it till it falls apart. I have owned a 2005 bought used in 2005 with only 5000 miles on it and now has 56000 miles. I usually only do city driving. It wonderful in the snow. The biggest downfall is the mpg. Horrible! That would be the only reason not to buy one. Fun car to drive and small/compact. No major problems at all.

05 Jeep Lib Sport 2WD - Too many problems
By hate on 03/16/12 08:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '05 Jeep Liberty Sport new and for the first 2 years it ran great. After that, it's been all down hill. Since, I've spent $1,300 for a new A/C compressor, $300 for new brakes that still squeal, $2,800 for a rebuilt transmission, the CD player won't eject my CD and haven't gotten that fixed, a fuse that keeps blowing out my brake lights, a passenger side automatic window that cost $400 to fix, and now I have the rear latch that won't open that I need opened to get to the brake lights that have, once again, blown out. I'm told this will cost $500 to repair. I am FED UP with my '05 Jeep Liberty!!!!

Love my Liberty!
By jts14 on 02/11/12 19:16 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Even though I have only had my Jeep Liberty for about 2 months, I already love it. I have a red 4x4 Sport with a 6 speed auto and the FAST, yes, i mean fast, 3.7L V6. You can easily pass 90 if you aren't careful! Interior is a bit bland but overall is comfortable and functional. Front seats are almost couch like but still offer enough support for long trips. Love the split trunk door. As for gas mileage, its no prius, but I still get about 18 combined, more than you can say for most SUV's. Almost forgot- you can't have the full jeep experience with out having some fun in the snow, and this sporty and rugged SUV doesn't disappoint. The AWD works effortlessly to plow through any pile of snow.

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT
By lam57 on 01/13/12 15:06 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty RHD new in 2005 for my mail route. I am on my 7th front drive shaft. Instead of replacing U-Joints in the drive shaft you have to buy the whole shaft. The rubber boot around it leaks dust which in turn ruins the drive shaft. The back doors have such a poor wrap around design, the doors get frozen shut during any bad weather. I have had to have the transmission rebuilt and have had numerous problems with the front end. If I didn't need a RHD vehicle I would never recomend this vehicle. Very expensive to maintain!

Great vehicle!
By dust2dust34 on 01/04/12 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Liberty in 2008 used and with around 45,000 miles on it. For the last four years, I had absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some recalls and brakes. Had to replace the roaters because of previous owner (boo). Drives just the way I would expect a Jeep to. It's compact and easy and has a lot of get up and go (not a great every day car though - more Jeep than commuter car). Recently have had to replace the transmission cooler lines, front drive shaft and had a leak in the head gasket but considering what I've gotten out of so far, I'm not terribly concerned and I expect to get many more years out of this Jeep. Great buy for me and will keep for a long time!

Not a good buy!
By jenniferb8700 on 10/25/11 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Happy when we purchased our Liberty in 2005 but since then, we've had to have the transmission rebuilt and u-joints replaced. The gas mileage is pitiful, too.

Chrysler quality
By peaceriver on 06/07/11 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2005 Liberty as a lease return with 80km. During a trip to the US we started to notice a howl from the rear diff which got worse as we travelled. no oil leaks evident. since we had purchased an extended warrenty to 120k, the dealership replaced pretty much everything in the housing at 92km. At 115 km the dealership mechanic said that the rear diff needed service, meaning of course the oil needed to be changed. no big deal we thought although it seemed odd that the oil was dirty so soon after a rebuild. At 153k the rear end started to howl again. $2000+ later and most components replaced. Normally a rear diff ought to out last the rest of the vehicle or so we thought.Wrong!

BEST CAR EVER OWNED!!!
By jeeplib0545 on 02/25/11 16:37 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my jeep in 2009 with only 33,000 miles on it. I haven't had a single problem with it since the day I've gotten it, and I love it so much! I've had cars in the past that were awful, and my jeep is truly dependable and reliable. My family has owned jeeps, and will never own anything but Jeeps! If you are looking for value for your dollar, the Jeep Liberty Sport is worth every penny!

Not a good choice
By shrewem on 12/09/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Liberty new. Also purchasing the 5 year warranty which exp Feb 2010. Last week (Dec 2010) it started acting up so we took it into the dealer. Bad head gasket, takes $1500.00 to fix. While tearing it down they found a timing belt guide broken and had to buy the entire kit from Mopar for $534 additional. We don't have it back yet but a 90,000 mile vehicle should not be requiring a $2500.00 repair. It is the last Jeep/Dodge we will buy. We are looking again soon but will probably look towards a Toyota.

Jeep Liberty Limited CRD - blown engine
By winter2 on 12/09/10 11:48 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my CRD brand new. Fairly reliable and occasionally quirky. Good highway economy at 30-31 MPG. During a recent trip, the #1 connecting rod disintegrated and sent shrapnel throughout the engine at 77,594 miles. Have a case setup with Chrysler and waiting to hear if they will fix it. The diesel tech at the dealer where it is and the engineer at Chrysler he spoke to had never heard of this diesel blowing up like this.