Used 2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Nice to own
By Ian Neal

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Went on a trip just after buying the Jeep. I was impressed with the fuel mpg. It got 30 mpg on average. I had a small oil leak on the transfer case but got fixed under warranty. Other then it`s been fine. Put about 4500 km on that trip in one week with no problems at all.

The chrome package is great. The 17' tires are nice for the clearance. One other thing I liked was the the little drain spout under the oil filter so there no mess with oil going every wear.

Like most people the glove box is kinda small. More room in the back.

Can't figure this thing out?
By Ben

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

When I bought my Liberty I made the mistake of thinking I was getting a nice new smooth running vehicle. Well not exactly, I bought and Jeep and that's what I got. While it's been reliable, very useful for hauling things and plenty powerful, it can also be somewhat annoying. In my opinion it has too many squeaks and rattles for such a new vehicle - or maybe it is just one of my OCD's. Bottom line, if you want a vehicle that is truly ready to go offroad straight off the lot and want a true Jeep, then this is the SUV for you. If you like the more cushy and refined driving experience then you should look at one of the more car like SUVs

Powerful engine, like how you sit up higher, heat and AC work great, nice stereo for a stock system, good quality paint.

Seat fabric is annoying, even water stains horribly, I just purchased some neoprene sit covers. Engine runs rough when cold, Squeaking back window - I have to put vaseline on the top seal periodically. I still sometimes look for the window controls on the door, even after 1 year of ownership.

bad cyclinder heads
By al

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

At 14000 miles 3.7L needed new cyclinder heads due to use of regular gas. From 2006 forward Jeep decided you need to use higher grade (more expensive) gas! How could all the geniuses at the Billion Dollar design center not know they designed an engine that needed Hi-Test Gas?

Home Link, Blue Tooth, Sirius radio, 17"x7.5" Tires.

Gas Mileage needs much improvement, Bigger Glove Box, Bigger Cup Holders in front and more storage space.

Lots of fun
By corya

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I bought my Liberty used with under 15,000 miles on it. I have had it a year and six months. It has been an awsome reliable vehicle. It has over 40,000 miles on it and have had no problems. Handles great on and off road. Low range torque is great. Average 16 to 18 for gas mileage. In town or higway. Doesn't pull small trailers very well.

Dash, buttons for the windows in the center, body design

More cargo room in the rear, more ground clearance

Jeep does it again!
By MCSD_Cadet3

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased it used in February wwith just over 5k miles. Overall excellent vehicle. The side view mirrors have a killer blind spot so I always check over my shoulder (which is probably the safest option anyway). Some of the options should have been standard on the limited but when you buy a car used you don't get to be picky. For instance it would be nice to have leather seats standard. So far no problems mechanically/electrically however it's only been a few months. I did just get a recall notice on the ball joints so we'll have to wait and see.

Chrome grille. Tinted windows, V6 engine. Smaller wheel base for off roading

Leather seats standard on limited, Better gas mileage (I know it is an SUV and you can't expect much), Larger glove compartment and storage areas in the front.

• SUV