Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Still testing
By thoughtvirus

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had 2 Jeeps in my life. My first one was a 1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with the 2.8 liter V6. I loved that Jeep. So when it came time to get a new(er) vehicle, I naturally gravitated toward the Jeep. I found a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade for sale at a local dealership. My wife and myself felling in love with it during the test drive. We bought this vehicle 7/12/2014 and I am hoping I have a good one. I have read the reviews and they make me edgey.

Favorite Features

I love the Renegade because, unlike the Sport or limited 2005 Liberty's, you dont have the goofy design with the hood and headlights. (The hood humps over the headlights.) I love the interior and how everything is easy to get to.

Suggested Improvements

If what I read it true, then Chrysler needs to do a better quality check on their engines.

Love my Liberty!
By jts14

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Even though I have only had my Jeep Liberty for about 2 months, I already love it. I have a red 4x4 Sport with a 6 speed auto and the FAST, yes, i mean fast, 3.7L V6. You can easily pass 90 if you aren't careful! Interior is a bit bland but overall is comfortable and functional. Front seats are almost couch like but still offer enough support for long trips. Love the split trunk door. As for gas mileage, its no prius, but I still get about 18 combined, more than you can say for most SUV's. Almost forgot- you can't have the full jeep experience with out having some fun in the snow, and this sporty and rugged SUV doesn't disappoint. The AWD works effortlessly to plow through any pile of snow.

Favorite Features

Swinging trunk door, 3.7L V6, Easy to operate part-time AWD, MPG, comfort, and versatility.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be spruced up a bit on the Sport Model, Window controls on center console instead of doors.

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT?
By Topherious

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I really enjoy this vehicle. I had previously owned a Ford Explorer Sport, and in Comparison I might have as well owned a Small car. This jeep has more towing capacity, better off road capabilities, and is superior in luxury. Heated seats, 5 disk CD changer, The list goes on and on.

Favorite Features

The entire exterior look aggressive, the leather does not wear. Inexpensive to find aftermarket parts I.E. Steel Bumper, Lift Kits, Roof Racks.

Suggested Improvements

Ground clearance

Back Luck w/ Miss Liberty
By Jeep Lemon

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I previously owned a Wrangler, followed by a full size truck, to now owning the Liberty. I thought it was cool looking when I bought it, and the test drive wasn't so bad. Within 1 week i had major problems. The main one being that the steering is really tight, almost feels like I don't have power steering. I've been back and forth to the dealers who have yet to fix it. I've talked to other Liberty owners who had similar problems. The steering makes it hard to control the car, and makes the ride uncomfortable, as well as makes it feel unsafe. Very disappointed with this car and can't wait to get rid of it. Nothing but problems. Looks wise, and off-road capabilities - it's a decent lil' SUV.

Favorite Features

The sunroof. And the lightbar on top is way cool.

Suggested Improvements

I HATE how the power window controls are in the center console! And of course the gas guzzling stinks - but hey its an SUV - what do you expect?

First Jeep Ever Bought
By Nick

2005 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

So far so good. Very surprised on the recall issued, but service was tops!

Favorite Features

I know it would have been the sunroof that I did not get. With that I am looking around to have one installed.

Suggested Improvements

Seats could be built a little better. Floor mat on driver side already has worn spots and only 2500 miles on it. Looks like i will have to replace mats sooner that I want.