2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
beware jeep falling apart from day one
By darlene11 on 10/07/13 09:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this jeep less than a year old. I have had to have the front end replaced three times within 5 years. The air conditioner breaks every single year, had the compressor replaced twice. There have been several recalls on this jeep. One of the recalls was for the windows and was only an extended warrante where you had to pay $100 to have your windows fix when they fell down and stopped working. So here I sit now with a window down and the Jeep dealer is telling me oh your too late for the extended warrante if you want your windows fixed it will be $400 a window. Well you know what I think? I think Chrysler is a junk company and should have stepped up from the beginning and fixed then

Eh.
By rachel152 on 06/17/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Liberty for about two months now. In these past few months I have spent over $1000 in repairs. First, the rear-axle had problems, and second there was a crack in my radiator. The Liberty's gas mileage is absolutely horrid. I at least get 17 mpg hwy. The interior design of the Liberty is impressive, but the audio system is bad, too. The speakers in the car do not go loud enough. It is also very loud, getting up to 70 mph in the car is like being on a jet plane. Otherwise, does good in bad weather, and is rather stylish looking. If it weren't for all the repairs and horrid gas mileage, this car would be perfect.

RUN AWAY!!!
By sevance83 on 11/08/12 20:40 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying I am a JEEP fanatic! I have owned 2 Wranglers, 2 Cherokees, and 2 Libertys...SO I have nothing against Jeep but I will NEVER buy another Liberty and I will NEVER recommend this vehicle to my friends or family!! I purchased my last Jeep Liberty used after rolling my first Liberty and this was a huge mistake. These vehicles are very top heavy and the steering is very touchy making it easy to lose control. Also the lower control arms in the front and rear were made very poorly and may snap without any warning causing complete loss of control!! Gas mileage sucks for such a small SUV too and interior is very cramped.

Don't Buy a Jeep Liberty!!
By harryr4 on 10/22/12 20:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have had numerous major mechanical breakdowns on our Jeep Liberty resulting in thousands of dollars in repairs. Just had to have the transmission fixed for almost $3000. Check it out, it happens all the time on these vehicles. Don't buy one!!

Love my jeep
By mugsy44875 on 03/25/12 05:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to say i love my jeep and am keeping it till it falls apart. I have owned a 2005 bought used in 2005 with only 5000 miles on it and now has 56000 miles. I usually only do city driving. It wonderful in the snow. The biggest downfall is the mpg. Horrible! That would be the only reason not to buy one. Fun car to drive and small/compact. No major problems at all.

FRONT DRIVE SHAFT
By lam57 on 01/13/12 15:06 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty RHD new in 2005 for my mail route. I am on my 7th front drive shaft. Instead of replacing U-Joints in the drive shaft you have to buy the whole shaft. The rubber boot around it leaks dust which in turn ruins the drive shaft. The back doors have such a poor wrap around design, the doors get frozen shut during any bad weather. I have had to have the transmission rebuilt and have had numerous problems with the front end. If I didn't need a RHD vehicle I would never recomend this vehicle. Very expensive to maintain!

Great vehicle!
By dust2dust34 on 01/04/12 09:12 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this Liberty in 2008 used and with around 45,000 miles on it. For the last four years, I had absolutely nothing wrong with it other than some recalls and brakes. Had to replace the roaters because of previous owner (boo). Drives just the way I would expect a Jeep to. It's compact and easy and has a lot of get up and go (not a great every day car though - more Jeep than commuter car). Recently have had to replace the transmission cooler lines, front drive shaft and had a leak in the head gasket but considering what I've gotten out of so far, I'm not terribly concerned and I expect to get many more years out of this Jeep. Great buy for me and will keep for a long time!

Chrysler quality
By peaceriver on 06/07/11 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2005 Liberty as a lease return with 80km. During a trip to the US we started to notice a howl from the rear diff which got worse as we travelled. no oil leaks evident. since we had purchased an extended warrenty to 120k, the dealership replaced pretty much everything in the housing at 92km. At 115 km the dealership mechanic said that the rear diff needed service, meaning of course the oil needed to be changed. no big deal we thought although it seemed odd that the oil was dirty so soon after a rebuild. At 153k the rear end started to howl again. $2000+ later and most components replaced. Normally a rear diff ought to out last the rest of the vehicle or so we thought.Wrong!

Not a good choice
By shrewem on 12/09/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2005 Liberty new. Also purchasing the 5 year warranty which exp Feb 2010. Last week (Dec 2010) it started acting up so we took it into the dealer. Bad head gasket, takes $1500.00 to fix. While tearing it down they found a timing belt guide broken and had to buy the entire kit from Mopar for $534 additional. We don't have it back yet but a 90,000 mile vehicle should not be requiring a $2500.00 repair. It is the last Jeep/Dodge we will buy. We are looking again soon but will probably look towards a Toyota.

Jeep Liberty Limited CRD - blown engine
By winter2 on 12/09/10 11:48 AM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my CRD brand new. Fairly reliable and occasionally quirky. Good highway economy at 30-31 MPG. During a recent trip, the #1 connecting rod disintegrated and sent shrapnel throughout the engine at 77,594 miles. Have a case setup with Chrysler and waiting to hear if they will fix it. The diesel tech at the dealer where it is and the engineer at Chrysler he spoke to had never heard of this diesel blowing up like this.