Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2005 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Will never buy a jeep again
By lanie1970

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

So we bought used. And had a tire explode. Brakes peddle lock to the floor, smoking rear brakes, ball joints decide to fail. Fixed everything and then the brakes go out again. From reading online, seems these are common problems with the jeep liberty. will not buy ever again. And doubt I will trust any of the brand. Going back to toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Build a realiable vehicle. Seat fabric has a treatment that goes splotchy when it gets wet and never goes away. thought it was just mine until my sister had the same thing in her 2005. Funny that everything that breaks on my 05 liberty also goes on hers. Seems like a jeep problem. Example the tennisioner (holds the timing blet) broke, never had it break on any car I owned. Hers broke as well. Odd

Had to review this fun inexpensive little truck
By beepjeep1

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th jeep went from a cj to a yj to 2 TJ's but since I got 2 kids had to get a friendlier vehicle and low and behold the liberty. I always thought of these as chick vehicles but they are at the LOWEST end of the used SUV's and I bought a 2005 with 64Km's mint mint mint for 6500$ with 2 sets of tires from an old lady. Now 2 years later i'll review it. This jelly bean can motor, good acceleration, decent offroad handling, moderate pulling power, and absoloutly DISGUSTING GAS MILEAGE! But meh who cares. My unit has been reliable and maintenance free for the past 2 years, easy to park and you can load it up pretty good with gear and 2 kids.

Favorite Features

I love the small footprint, jeep reliability and simple interior. Good cargo room, good acceleration and decent fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Only real negatives are the seats are mounted about an inch too high, gas pedal a tad cramped with big boots on and the gas mileage is HORRID! Otherwise this jelly bean is a good used buy if your looking for an suv and don't care about the gas consumption.

Think twice about buying Jeep Liberty Diesel.
By antijeepster

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD with 31,000 miles on it, two years ago. Since I bought it, I have had nothing but problems. Have had to replace the water/fuel seperator twice and the alternator once. Turbo blew at 49,000 miles and again at 80,000. Have had all the work done at the Jeep dealership I brought it from. After the second turbo was replaced had to bring it back twice to get hoses inside the turbo replaced. That was another $1000 on top of the cost of the turbo ($5,500) each time. Three weeks after I got it back from the dealer the motor blew. Chrysler and Dealership are blaming one another and refusing to help. If you are looking for reliablity and value, look elsewhere.

05 Jeep Lib Sport 2WD - Too many problems
By hate

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my '05 Jeep Liberty Sport new and for the first 2 years it ran great. After that, it's been all down hill. Since, I've spent $1,300 for a new A/C compressor, $300 for new brakes that still squeal, $2,800 for a rebuilt transmission, the CD player won't eject my CD and haven't gotten that fixed, a fuse that keeps blowing out my brake lights, a passenger side automatic window that cost $400 to fix, and now I have the rear latch that won't open that I need opened to get to the brake lights that have, once again, blown out. I'm told this will cost $500 to repair. I am FED UP with my '05 Jeep Liberty!!!!

Not a good buy!
By jenniferb8700

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Happy when we purchased our Liberty in 2005 but since then, we've had to have the transmission rebuilt and u-joints replaced. The gas mileage is pitiful, too.