2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Had to review this fun inexpensive little truck
By beepjeep1 on 08/14/14 06:13 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th jeep went from a cj to a yj to 2 TJ's but since I got 2 kids had to get a friendlier vehicle and low and behold the liberty. I always thought of these as chick vehicles but they are at the LOWEST end of the used SUV's and I bought a 2005 with 64Km's mint mint mint for 6500$ with 2 sets of tires from an old lady. Now 2 years later i'll review it. This jelly bean can motor, good acceleration, decent offroad handling, moderate pulling power, and absoloutly DISGUSTING GAS MILEAGE! But meh who cares. My unit has been reliable and maintenance free for the past 2 years, easy to park and you can load it up pretty good with gear and 2 kids.

Still testing
By thoughtvirus on 07/16/14 13:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had 2 Jeeps in my life. My first one was a 1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with the 2.8 liter V6. I loved that Jeep. So when it came time to get a new(er) vehicle, I naturally gravitated toward the Jeep. I found a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade for sale at a local dealership. My wife and myself felling in love with it during the test drive. We bought this vehicle 7/12/2014 and I am hoping I have a good one. I have read the reviews and they make me edgey.

beware jeep falling apart from day one
By darlene11 on 10/07/13 09:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this jeep less than a year old. I have had to have the front end replaced three times within 5 years. The air conditioner breaks every single year, had the compressor replaced twice. There have been several recalls on this jeep. One of the recalls was for the windows and was only an extended warrante where you had to pay $100 to have your windows fix when they fell down and stopped working. So here I sit now with a window down and the Jeep dealer is telling me oh your too late for the extended warrante if you want your windows fixed it will be $400 a window. Well you know what I think? I think Chrysler is a junk company and should have stepped up from the beginning and fixed then

Repairs
By oregon80 on 07/13/13 10:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 6 Speed. Engine Runs Great, about 15 mpg city. Only 44,500 Miles, bought new. Have already had to replace Shifter, Water pump, and Power steering Hoses. Now I'm getting a Clinking noise when I take off on a hill in 1st shifting to 2nd. It's a loud clink. Once I get going the Transmission runs smooth and quiet. Any Ideas.

Eh.
By rachel152 on 06/17/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Liberty for about two months now. In these past few months I have spent over $1000 in repairs. First, the rear-axle had problems, and second there was a crack in my radiator. The Liberty's gas mileage is absolutely horrid. I at least get 17 mpg hwy. The interior design of the Liberty is impressive, but the audio system is bad, too. The speakers in the car do not go loud enough. It is also very loud, getting up to 70 mph in the car is like being on a jet plane. Otherwise, does good in bad weather, and is rather stylish looking. If it weren't for all the repairs and horrid gas mileage, this car would be perfect.

I Love My Liberty
By chicaboricuapr on 06/08/13 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I love my Liberty, is comfy and reliable. Is also a gas saver. I was looking for a manula transmission SUV and I found this one. I love it. Now I'm moving to another state and I hope drive great cause I haven't been out of state with my Liberty. Also is spacious!!! I will recommended to everyone even my best friend love it.

Watch out for your engine!
By hollinsiam on 05/07/13 14:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport. It has given me minor problems since I purchased in 2005. I only have 87000 miles on it and I need to have a cylinder replaced. I was told not to put another penny into it unless I wanted to replace the engine. My mechanic says he has seen this on several Libertys. I have kept up with its maintenance and given it the TLC that it needs - well I thought I did. What a rip off! No more Jeeps for me!

RUN AWAY!!!
By sevance83 on 11/08/12 20:40 PM (PST)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Let me start by saying I am a JEEP fanatic! I have owned 2 Wranglers, 2 Cherokees, and 2 Libertys...SO I have nothing against Jeep but I will NEVER buy another Liberty and I will NEVER recommend this vehicle to my friends or family!! I purchased my last Jeep Liberty used after rolling my first Liberty and this was a huge mistake. These vehicles are very top heavy and the steering is very touchy making it easy to lose control. Also the lower control arms in the front and rear were made very poorly and may snap without any warning causing complete loss of control!! Gas mileage sucks for such a small SUV too and interior is very cramped.

Don't Buy a Jeep Liberty!!
By harryr4 on 10/22/12 20:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We have had numerous major mechanical breakdowns on our Jeep Liberty resulting in thousands of dollars in repairs. Just had to have the transmission fixed for almost $3000. Check it out, it happens all the time on these vehicles. Don't buy one!!

How many people have Trans Problems?
By jeeplbrtyrngd5 on 06/19/12 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have an '05 Liberty Renegade. I have been having many problems and googling out of curiosity led me to this site. I had no idea my issues were so common. I so far have fixed both upper and lower arm joints(rear), ball joints, new brakes front and back (twice), rebuilt transmission, new AC cooling system, new trans hoses, new starter, new alternator, and have had continued lights going out esp. rear lights, my cds also get stuck and refuse to come out, and my belt makes a squeaking sound which is a constant annoyance..