Used 2005 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Will never buy a jeep again
By lanie1970

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

So we bought used. And had a tire explode. Brakes peddle lock to the floor, smoking rear brakes, ball joints decide to fail. Fixed everything and then the brakes go out again. From reading online, seems these are common problems with the jeep liberty. will not buy ever again. And doubt I will trust any of the brand. Going back to toyota.

Build a realiable vehicle. Seat fabric has a treatment that goes splotchy when it gets wet and never goes away. thought it was just mine until my sister had the same thing in her 2005. Funny that everything that breaks on my 05 liberty also goes on hers. Seems like a jeep problem. Example the tennisioner (holds the timing blet) broke, never had it break on any car I owned. Hers broke as well. Odd

Had to review this fun inexpensive little truck
By beepjeep1

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 5th jeep went from a cj to a yj to 2 TJ's but since I got 2 kids had to get a friendlier vehicle and low and behold the liberty. I always thought of these as chick vehicles but they are at the LOWEST end of the used SUV's and I bought a 2005 with 64Km's mint mint mint for 6500$ with 2 sets of tires from an old lady. Now 2 years later i'll review it. This jelly bean can motor, good acceleration, decent offroad handling, moderate pulling power, and absoloutly DISGUSTING GAS MILEAGE! But meh who cares. My unit has been reliable and maintenance free for the past 2 years, easy to park and you can load it up pretty good with gear and 2 kids.

I love the small footprint, jeep reliability and simple interior. Good cargo room, good acceleration and decent fit and finish.

Only real negatives are the seats are mounted about an inch too high, gas pedal a tad cramped with big boots on and the gas mileage is HORRID! Otherwise this jelly bean is a good used buy if your looking for an suv and don't care about the gas consumption.

Still testing
By thoughtvirus

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had 2 Jeeps in my life. My first one was a 1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with the 2.8 liter V6. I loved that Jeep. So when it came time to get a new(er) vehicle, I naturally gravitated toward the Jeep. I found a 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade for sale at a local dealership. My wife and myself felling in love with it during the test drive. We bought this vehicle 7/12/2014 and I am hoping I have a good one. I have read the reviews and they make me edgey.

I love the Renegade because, unlike the Sport or limited 2005 Liberty's, you dont have the goofy design with the hood and headlights. (The hood humps over the headlights.) I love the interior and how everything is easy to get to.

If what I read it true, then Chrysler needs to do a better quality check on their engines.

beware jeep falling apart from day one
By darlene11

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this jeep less than a year old. I have had to have the front end replaced three times within 5 years. The air conditioner breaks every single year, had the compressor replaced twice. There have been several recalls on this jeep. One of the recalls was for the windows and was only an extended warrante where you had to pay $100 to have your windows fix when they fell down and stopped working. So here I sit now with a window down and the Jeep dealer is telling me oh your too late for the extended warrante if you want your windows fixed it will be $400 a window. Well you know what I think? I think Chrysler is a junk company and should have stepped up from the beginning and fixed then

None, the interior is too small to sit anyone in back see. Passenger seat is miserable.

Chrysler needs to step up to the plate on these trucks as they are junk just waiting to crumble. I am sadly disappointed in my jeep even after all the countless repairs and two recalls that I have had done to it, it is like driving and old junk for the used cost when I bought it of $24000... I am not impressed at all and will never purchase a Chrysler product again.

Repairs
By oregon80

2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 6 Speed. Engine Runs Great, about 15 mpg city. Only 44,500 Miles, bought new. Have already had to replace Shifter, Water pump, and Power steering Hoses. Now I'm getting a Clinking noise when I take off on a hill in 1st shifting to 2nd. It's a loud clink. Once I get going the Transmission runs smooth and quiet. Any Ideas.