2004 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2004 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

FUN SUV
By oc47d

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is well built and sturdy. Very dependable and good looking for a smaller SUV. Nice for traveling with a small family or just going on a camping trip in the mountains. This vehicle is one of the better SUV's on the market.

Favorite Features

I like the off-road capability with the styling of the vehicle's interior and exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Need to move the window controls to the door instead of the center counsel. Would like to see heated and cooled seat features. More accessories for the Liberty to make it a more distinct Jeep like the wrangler.

Driving for the fun of it
By Tom Purcell

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed driving my 2004 Jeep Liberty more than any automobile I have owned. It handles well and has just the right power with the 3.7. The only thing is fuel consumption. Not very good on mileage city or highway.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive gives a lot of driving adventures. Like exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Need to get better fuel mileage per gallon in city and highway to continue to be in the market in the future.

First Jeep
By Frank

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Not bad, going on my 3rd year with it and still no problems. Lots of power, goes well in the snow. My next vehicle - will be another Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

Glove box that locks.

UNCOMFORTABLE!
By traci

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am not a large person; however, the Jeep Liberty makes me feel like I am in a Barbie toy car. The seat is so small -- a friend that is 6'3 and 181 lbs finds it very uncomfortable as well. I like the bells and whistles. The ability to drive through high water is fantastic in hurricane ravaged areas. But, my bum is always numb after only 20 minutes of driving!

Favorite Features

Sun roof, steering wheel stereo controls.

Suggested Improvements

Wider seat base, better adjustment capabilities with both front seats, lumbar adjustment, easier to close rear window and rear door.

Improvements Needed
By John Palma

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I find that the Jeep Liberty is a solid reliable vehicle. Fit & finish is of high quality. Excellent driving manners,with plenty of power. The 3.7 engine performs beautifully. However the drawback to the Liberty is that the driver seat doesn't have enough cushion. The interior lighting is very poor. Engine can be loud when you accelerate. It's a Jeep, and I mean it does have a rough side to it. I have to say in the snow there is no other vehicle I would rather be in. It's a blast to drive when snow starts to fly. Would I purchase another Jeep? I would consider it. I would look at the fuel consumption to determine if it would be worth my while. Aside from that I would say yes, I'm am pleased with it.

Favorite Features

What I like about the Liberty is that you sit high up. Excellent road view. Rack & pinion steering gives you a solid road feel, with excellent steering response. Low end torque is strong as well. It pulls you right along. Controls are in good position as well.

Suggested Improvements

What I would like to see improved is in 3 areas. 1) engine noise. 2) Fuel economy; such a powerful motor but only getting 16.5 to 17.0 MPG around town is unacceptable. Get 20 on the highway. 3) Power window buttons are in middle console; very confusing to navigate -- always looking down to see them.

Great
By Frank

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

First Jeep since the Army, great in the snow in PA and holds its own on interstates. I think I'll keep it and will most likely buy another.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

More storage room and better gas.

Hawaiian4x4
By TommyA808

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I'm averaging almost 23MPG (sometimes over!) and am pleased with the engine power, quality of exterior & interior appointments. I HATE the power window buttons on the center front of the console compartment (almost like an afterthought); on the doors would be much better! At just over 14k with no problems and varied use, I'm pleased with "Herbie". Nice style, comfortable ride & drive below 70MPH, steady & predictable in 4WD as expected from a Jeep. Yes, I'd likely buy another one ... a CRD next time!

Favorite Features

Tire pressure monitors, trip computer, chrome wheels ... Nice! The driving lights are so good that sometimes I forget to turn on the headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Have AT tires on your 4WD's. I had to buy All-Terrain tires right after buying it!

Shifty Transmission '04 Liberty
By Richard Pace

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission always thumped shifting from 1st to 2nd. At 29,000 transmission failed and had to be replaced. Dealer support was great. At 30,000 the brakes are making noises. Transmission is starting to thump from 1st to 2nd again.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, great in the snow, tight turning radius. Fuel mileage is O.K. for what it is (19 -29 mpg).

Suggested Improvements

Add rear hatch release in the dash. Better placement of power window switches. Improve transmission shifting.

Sluggish and Jerky
By jjbigs

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love the look but hate the performance. At slow speeds it lurches when you step on the gas. Climbing and hill in goes to a higher gear instead of downshifting. At all other times, it is fun to drive and very comfortable. Looks good on the road. Even with the sound upgrade, the stereo is poor.

Favorite Features

Interior feel, headroom, and radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Do something with the transmission and performance under any load!

Our '04 Liberty (Libo)
By Randy

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Columbia Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

On Sunday May 30, 2005 after 4 days of online research I found the Jeep Liberty. I thought it would work for our situation. I test drove an '05 Sport on May 29. It was a basic model and those seats were flat and hard. Not to mention the price without 4WD or option even with discounts and low interest & incentives. I continued my research. I found an '04 Liberty, Columbia edition 4WD on an internet special & $10K less than a new one and it only had 12,900 miles. It was put in service March '04 and traded in on May 5th of '05. Lucky me. I walked out the door with the Libo for $17,000, warranties and ttl included. Shop the internet the deals are out there. We luv the Libo.

Favorite Features

Style, reliability, value. Sunroof. We live in Southeast Texas and the sunroof helps to vent out the heat quickly.

Suggested Improvements

A hatch release button on the dash somewhere. Just in case I leave my keys in the house.