Used 2004 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Very Happy!
By Hoosier

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After over 4 years we are very happy with our first Jeep. My wife wouldn't trade it even up for a new Cadillac. Very reliable. Feels, looks & rides like the day we brought it home. Comfortable and ample room for good size adults in front seats. Only new tires, one recall, and 3 warranty repairs (that were fixed right the first time) through 50K. No, it's not perfect. It's not a big SUV. No back seat leg room. Rear seat does not fold flat and it does ride a bit rough over bumps(but it is a 4WD Jeep). You aren't going to haul a lot of stuff or big stuff in this, but we new all this and bought accordingly. Would highly recommend as long as you check everything out and know what you are getting.

Favorite Features

Reliability, unique looks, fun to drive, 4WD takes care of all problems in snow, rain and on ice. Because of its short length it is very easy to handle in traffic, parking lots, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe make it a bit longer so the back seat will fold flat, have more leg room and have a little bit more storage in back.

Nonexistent warranty
By Jake

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I special ordered a liberty for my wife to drive back and forth to work adding skid plates, limited slip R/E and selectrac trans as we have to drive on a steep shale rd to get home. At 15K the trans started to overheat and we took it to Lithia dodge in Concord CA, they told me that they wouldn't cover any damage because we "rock crawled" the vehicle. I tried to get help from Jeep.com and couldn't even get them to give me their last name (plausible deniability?) I finally paid $2200. to get the trans repaired at a private shop. (Lithia wanted $8k). It broke down again after a few months and the private shop narrowed the problem to a factory defect in the t/case. Don't buy one!

Favorite Features

Nice style,

Suggested Improvements

Honor you warranty...

Power Window Regulator
By I did love my JEEP

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

From reading most of the reviews, everyone really likes this vehicle and so do I. There is one thing you need to know (and you can check it out on Google) The power window regulators have some parts made of plastic. This week was the third time my back windows broke (dropped down) First time it was under warranty. Second time dealer charged me $200 and I hope the third time will not be more than last time. Just thought you might want to check this out. I would trade it on a new one, but I understand they all have the same problem. Guess you could look at it this way. Seems only one breaks each year, Oh I forgot to tell you. The brake has nothing to do with use, they just drop down.Back to Shop

Suggested Improvements

Chrysler could use the metal part that is sold on the web.

First and Last
By gordonwinsall

2004 Jeep Liberty Columbia Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep and probably last. Terrible gas mileage and a maintenance nightmare if you have to work on it. Even changing the oil is a hassle. Check engine light is always coming on and going off.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage and move power window buttons to door so they are easier to reach. Better tires, the SRA's have no wet traction this thing is a 4X4 and has street tires on it.

Great vehicle!
By Jwater04

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Jeep two months ago. Within a week I noticed the transmission slipping, rear-end popping and the wheel bearings making noise. As the second owner, I transferred the warranty and the dealership replaced the transmission and fixed the rest of it with 45,000 miles. I thought I made a mistake but now that its fixed, its doing great and I love it. It really is as capable as my wrangler I traded and I can actually use it during the week. Not just let it sit at home as just a weekend toy. Mine is an automatic and I usually let it shift about 2500rpms which takes off pretty good and doesn't get left in the dust completely. I also do alot of city driving and this gets me about 18-20mpg

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. I have always drove full size 4wd trucks and this Jeep is just as capable as them and it gets almost 20mpg. I used to get 10-12mpg on my other trucks so to me 20mpg on a 4wd is good.

Suggested Improvements

A little bit better take off speed. I don't like to run it up over 3000rpms and in order to take off and really keep up with other vehicles you have to do that but it's not a real big problem. I couldn't be happier with the Liberty.