Used 2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Practical AND Fun
By darkprince

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my Liberty Renegade used - 40k miles on it. There are some minor quirks to it I find annoying, but overall I love my Liberty! I found documentation in my owner's manual from the previous owner- apparently the transmission issue was handled by him (Thank You!). This Jeep is a ball to drive and handles better than any SUV I've ever driven. One note: Lose the Goodyear RS tires. They slip on wet roads; they won't get the opportunity to try snow/ice. No way!

Open cabin. My previous vehicle was an F-150, so a cramped cabin just won't do. This thing handles like a car and is surprisingly great off-road. Stereo on the Renegade package is wonderful.

Interior storage. Glove box is only storage inside the vehicle. Window controls on DOOR. Feel like I'm driving a 1987 Fiero with those stupid things. Stock tires are junk. How do they get $150 a piece for those things?

Way to go Toledo!
By Nate&Cheryl

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Columbia Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

We traded in my wife's Toyota RAV4 for this Jeep largely due to Toyota's poor customer service in Hawaii. I couldn't drive or ride in the RAV4 because it made me carsick for some reason. So the Jeep was a good trade. I must admit we spent way more than we should have since dealers in Hawaii are a big rip off! The only problem we have had with the Liberty was a flasher that went out last spring $38 part from the dealership and I put it in myself in under 20 minutes. I would prefer better tires than the Goodyears that are on it now. It's good to see that Jeep is still making a good product and keeping Americans employed in Toledo, Ohio. Thanks MOPAR for our family car.

4X4, 3.7 V6, interior is nice, good ground clearance, decent gas mileage for a 4X4, and good road manners

I would love it if Jeep would make this with a solid front axle, possibly a Dana 44. A Rubicon package would be sweet too. Stop putting Goodyears on them. Give it an actual glove box!!!

Head gasket
By nanafonda

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this jeep BUT it has a recall on the head or at least that is what I was told when mine was replaced at 31,000 miles

It is so much fun to drive and easy to get car seats in and out

Better quality fabric on the seats. It is almost impossible to clean these seats without making the stain worse!

Extremely off-road capable
By Seemo

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this Jeep brand new in 2004 & has never been in the repair shop once until July 2008, for routine maintenance. When I bought new I had the dealer install the skid plate group, tow hooks & rock rails. I have taken this Jeep off-road many times & it's quite impressive, I believe it's more rugged than most people realize. I should know because I have previously owned a 1946 CJ2-A & also a 1972 CJ-6. I do most of my 4 wheeling in Michigan & I was honestly surprised at some of the muddy situations I was able to get out of. One thing I've noticed as a 43 year old male over the last 4 years, this car is very popular with the woman. In fact my wife loves this car because it's reliable & small

I love the optional "select drive" feature on the 4WD models. This allows you to drive with 4WD full time. I use it when it's raining heavily or when icy or hazardous conditions. Normal 4WD is only part time. I also love the rear differential "Trac-Lock," this engages when the rear tires senses slip

Interior lighting is poor, would like to see foot well lights in front & light above rear cargo area. Takes time to acclimate to the window controls on inside armrest. No complaints with gas mileage, what do you expect with a 3.7 liter, V-6, 205 HP engine.

Wife loves it!
By jbear

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife bought this Jeep for work. She love it's quickness, handling, surprisingly decent gas mileage for a v6 its and maneuverability (turn radius). I would not recommend it for extremely long trips due to the short wheel base, keep trips to 100 miles or less. It has had a few recalls which our local dealership has been very quick at responding to. There is a little rust bubbling under the paint at the pop up Glass at rear door just under the third brake lite at the welding seam. It's covered again by jeeps 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. Wife says she will always own a Jeep.