Used 2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Nice Truck but Terrible Mileage
By 2004JL

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have to wonder what vehicles other reviewers drove before their liberty to consider the abysmal mileage in the Jeep to be good. I average under 18 mpg highway, driving 65 or under. That's TERRIBLE mileage. It's MUCH worse in the city especially in winter, expect 10 mpg. I've heard many other Liberty owners complain of the same lousy mileage. Using 4x4 mode is even worse. Full size V8 pick ups get better mileage. The four speed auto is reliable but needs more gears. It does ride well, and can tow 5000lbs which is great if you tow a lot. It feels peppy until 40 mph but sorta dies off due to a very tall second gear. It's a very loud motor when pressed hard for passing.

Looks great especially when waxed and polished. Great towing ability. Seems reliable for the most part. Great 4x4 system. Comfortable seats and pretty quiet ride.

Needs a Modern engine with better mileage, a bigger glove box, the standard Goodyear tires are terrible. The four speed transmission is old school. Needs a five or six speed unit. Rear seats should fold flat and you shouldn't have to remove the head rests to put the seats down.

Good Family Truckster
By Ryan D

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this vehicle with 22k miles on it about 3 years ago. It now has 75k miles on it. We have had basically no problems with this vehicle, and the engine seems bulletproof, which is pleasantly surprising to me. The 4WD is incredible in the New England winters, and the 3.7L straight 6 is quite peppy (but loud). We have taken this on a few long road trips and it's not too comfortable for extended periods of time. The seats are hard and offer no lumbar or lateral support, and also no adjustable head rest. The radio and HVAC controls are large, easy to use, and located right where you want them. MPG is tolerable if you are easy on the gas.

Excellent 4WD system. Powerful engine. Well thought out interior layout. Full size spare tire. Dependability.

More comfortable seats. Move window controls to doors instead of middle console.

I hope this car lasts forever!
By GEF

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this thing. I want it to last forever. I have zero complaints after almost 6 years of ownership. Edmunds.com helped me make the decision to buy so I thought I'd finally come back and pay it forward. I will say, I've had to replace parts that I haven't seen die out so early in other cars. I've replaced the part that keeps your windows up. I've replaced both front speakers. I've replaced my belts and hoses. I've replaced my battery a few times. Still, at the end of the day, my Liberty Limited is holding up quite nicely and no matter what car I end up renting or trying out, I always find myself more comfortable in the Jeep.

The best feature on this one is the tire pressure monitor. I live in Arizona and a blown tire is something I'd like to avoid. 2nd best has to be the height and wheel radius. It's very easy to drive. 3rd is the trusty radio. Excellent speaker sound.

They've discontinued this body type, and the new one does not appeal to me at all. But I would say that Jeep should A) use heartier parts - less plastic please, and B) Give us more pearl color options.

A true Off Roader for everyday
By Driven1

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my jeep. I put All terrain tires on it and there hasn't been much I can't get through. I have even done off-road courses with about 200 Wranglers, and I kept up with them. They all gave me high fives that I was using it off-road. It is also my daily driver. I have a Limited so it looks good and is a comfortable ride. IT has been my most favorite vehicle. Don't complain about the gas mileage, the vehicle weighs 4500 lbs and is built like a tank. I love the power it has and I have pulled about 10 people that were stuck this winter alone. Even a big 15 passenger van. This is not an Escalade, it is a great everyday, comfortable driver that can handle anything you throw at it.

Off-road capability, style, Overhead Computer on Limited, Turning radius is better than my Mini, very smooth even at 80+ mph. Rear tire mount, easy repairs, a lot of do-it-yourself capability.

They already made a new model, but it may have lost some of the off-road readiness, we shall see. The rear seats to fold flat have to have the headrest off, or the front seats forward.

Its a JEEP!
By Ba50mF

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Ive always wanted a Jeep and this has not disappointed. I bought used with 32,000 miles on it. I've had the vehicle for 6 months now and it is excellent in the snow. Its comfortable and tall, but not too narrow of a wheelbase. The only drawback is gas mileage, but its a real suv not, a fwd wannabe. The 4wd is amazing. This is the 2nd 4wd vehicle I have owned and its excellent

4WD / Exterior Style / Sport look