Used 2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 416 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

I think I'm just unlucky.
By Tom Roof

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 100k miles, at 103k the Torque Converter had to be replaced with requires a disassembly of the trans. along with cleaning of the system, costs about $3k for the job. In the process of trying to trade-in or get rid of it. I wish I could've driven it longer to get a handle on the offroad capability.

Perfect SUV
By zakk

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

perfect off road vehicle! Our Wisconsin winters are harsh, but the liberty plows through it like nothing. great room for tall people, amazingly fun to drive, great handling, decent gas mileage, great power/torque, 5,000 ft/lbs, its a tank. buy one now

LOVED IT
By Sean Jackson

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 Liberty 2wd I purchased in 2007 with 20k miles. Other than the window motors on the drivers side going out all I ever had to do was change a couple headlight bulbs, change the oil, and 2 sets of tires. Never even put a set of brakes on the thing! It handled everything I threw at it and I never once thought twice about driving it across the country. I sold it with 180k miles on it in 2014 and I absolutely miss it. I will be in the market for a 4 door Wrangler soon!

Danger, Will Robinson! DANGER!
By John Skiba

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2004 Liberty used in 2007 "ASIS" from our local Jeep dealer after our master certified mechanic did a full inspection and told us it seemed OK.

3 years later, while driving the interstate under 100% perfect driving conditions, I suddenly found myself with no steering (wheel had no effect). The car rolled 3 times then flipped end-over-end, skidded to a halt on its roof.

The police wrote it up as a no-fault unknown cause accident.

We got a recall notice 2 years later that explained that the problem could cause sudden loss of steering. When we contacted Jeep, they said unless we still had the wreck we were S.O.L.

The standard Jeep response was always "We don't care!"

I concur with all the favorable comments others have made. It's the dealer's attitude and that of Jeep Corporate reps that assure I will never buy from Jeep/Chrysler again.

Give at least token consideration to customer relations.

where do we start?
By pacdltpa

2004 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

electrical problems, rear passenger window fell down inside door by itself, a.c. system replaced, valve cover gaskets replaced, head lamp flashes on and off by itself, battery died (twice),radiator failed, lower coolant hose failed, hydraulic lift supports for both hood and rear window failed , radio volume control does not work, recall for front suspension bushings replaced, recall (now) for dangerous gas tank must take to dealer to install tow hitch to protect gas tank, 92,000 miles young. most of this has taken place in the four years we have owned the vehicle. bought it with 38,000 miles. the larger problems have been address in th elast 6 months.gas mileage ridiculous.

high profile, sturdy, a/c works good, good vision , tinted privacy glass, relatively smooth ride for a jeep. cruise control, exterior lighting is good.

drive into river to see if it floats. why no recall on the window problem and electrical problems. if you go online and research you will see these problems are rampant and to replace and repair the window ids ridiculous. I had to duct tape it to the door frame to keep it from falling. I could go on and on but you get the picture. would I recommend? no.