2004 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
where do we start?
By pacdltpa on 02/11/14 04:11 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

electrical problems, rear passenger window fell down inside door by itself, a.c. system replaced, valve cover gaskets replaced, head lamp flashes on and off by itself, battery died (twice),radiator failed, lower coolant hose failed, hydraulic lift supports for both hood and rear window failed , radio volume control does not work, recall for front suspension bushings replaced, recall (now) for dangerous gas tank must take to dealer to install tow hitch to protect gas tank, 92,000 miles young. most of this has taken place in the four years we have owned the vehicle. bought it with 38,000 miles. the larger problems have been address in th elast 6 months.gas mileage ridiculous.

Wonderful with flaws
By camrice on 07/30/13 21:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful car, fabulous on the highway or in the city, good engine noise down low, and a great throaty roar up top. Short wheelbase makes parking a breeze but sacrifices ride comfort and interior space. 5 people is a squeeze unless one or more is a small child. fun to drive in the city, corners well when not driving extremely aggressively, perfect for whipping around backstreets. However, when you really push it it does feel like it will roll, which is a sacrifice made to provide ground clearance for off roading. Speaking of off roading, this thing can handle anything a sensible person can throw at it. Indiana snow is no match for the 4-wheel drive, weather in low or high settings.

Saved me in a rollover
By siii on 11/14/12 16:21 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved loved loved my Jeep Liberty. I bought it at 108k and drove it for 2 years. I also drove it home, 500+ miles away at least once a month. The pickup and acceleration is slower than other cars, and the gas mileage was usually 20 mpg (highway). Weird noise in the rear breaks when he was running at ~30mph but it stopped over 40mph. Always had it since I changed the breaks.

BEST CAR EVER!!!
By mermaid5155 on 08/04/12 15:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love, love, love my Jeep! I have traveled across the country in it several times. I have gone skiing in the mountains, camped in some rugged terrain in the desert and I live at the beach. Speaking of which, parked outside by the ocean for 7 years and she is rust free!! She still looks new inside and out. Paint and interior have held up, as the mechanics. I am meticulous about regular maintenance, changing the tires, etc. and she hums! This car has simply been terrific. 117,500 miles and going strong!! :)

Fun, Fun, Fun
By reecee3 on 07/14/12 20:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty in 05 with 6,000 miles on the odometer. I now have 190,000 miles and she is running strong. I have had to do some minor maintenance, but I have driven her all over the country and frankly done so at high speeds. My friends call the car the silver bullet because I have a lead foot. The car has never left me stranded and is very fun to drive. Dropping the back seats is a breeze and I can fit tons of luggage or furniture it it. I am now looking for a newer model and hoping I love it like I love this little Liberty. If I didn't have to travel, I would keep it to drive around town because I love it so much!

We Love our Libby
By ourlibby on 06/21/12 06:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Libby new and have never had any trouble with it. She has always gotten us to where we want to go and back home. We will never part with our Libby.

miss my liberty
By stretchlp on 11/23/11 14:02 PM (PST)

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

i bought my liberty used with 140k on it. put 34,000 miles on it in one year (90% highway miles). it always gave me a smooth ride. she was so fun to drive, and so reliable. i had to replace the transfer case, as well as the front differential, but considering i drove in one year what most people do in 3, it was well worth it. sadly, a week after getting it back from the repairs, i flipped her. she did a complete barrel roll, and kept me safe. didnt have a scratch on me, though i wish the same could be said for the jeep. in any event, she kept me safe and was a fun, reliable vehicle, who was capable off-road. i will miss mine dearly, and would HIGHLY recommend one!

Rocky Mountain Trail Edition 4WD
By bsulakerfan on 11/11/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This was my wife's car. First things first; We loved it, it's very safe and reliable, lots of room, never had any major problems with it. Only minor things or expected things like changing the tires and light bulbs. It had 78k miles on it but we lost it due to a t-bone accident. My wife was hit on the driver's side by a pickup truck and the jeep was totaled and my wife walked away with only a couple scratches and bruises. So i found that the Jeep is SAFE!

5 yrs old, 130K miles, and still going
By Amiee on 08/26/10 10:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep Liberty. We bought it new from Carmax in 05 as a 'last year's model'. We've just done regular maintenance and kept good tires on it. We have towed with it and it handles well. I stand in agreement with the other owners that it does need a larger glove box. I have had to replace the 6-disc CD changer, but only after 5 years of reliable playing. The only thing I don't like is the fastener for the sun visors. It is in reverse from the standard position and makes it hard to unhook while driving. I have actually snapped off the hook 3 times. Minor, but irritating after 5 years. I'll drive my libby till the wheels fall off.

LOVE the thing
By Lee on 08/04/10 12:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought mine new - Limited interior with the Sport exterior. Other than the transmission bogging down between 40-60 mph, it's been a pleasure to own & drive. Love it, love it love it & border collies look killer in it.