Used 2004 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2004 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

LOVED IT
By Sean Jackson

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 2004 Liberty 2wd I purchased in 2007 with 20k miles. Other than the window motors on the drivers side going out all I ever had to do was change a couple headlight bulbs, change the oil, and 2 sets of tires. Never even put a set of brakes on the thing! It handled everything I threw at it and I never once thought twice about driving it across the country. I sold it with 180k miles on it in 2014 and I absolutely miss it. I will be in the market for a 4 door Wrangler soon!

Danger, Will Robinson! DANGER!
By John Skiba

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the 2004 Liberty used in 2007 "ASIS" from our local Jeep dealer after our master certified mechanic did a full inspection and told us it seemed OK. 3 years later, while driving the interstate under 100% perfect driving conditions, I suddenly found myself with no steering (wheel had no effect). The car rolled 3 times then flipped end-over-end, skidded to a halt on its roof. The police wrote it up as a no-fault unknown cause accident. We got a recall notice 2 years later that explained that the problem could cause sudden loss of steering. When we contacted Jeep, they said unless we still had the wreck we were S.O.L. The standard Jeep response was always "We don't care!"

Favorite Features

I concur with all the favorable comments others have made. It's the dealer's attitude and that of Jeep Corporate reps that assure I will never buy from Jeep/Chrysler again.

Suggested Improvements

Give at least token consideration to customer relations.

where do we start?
By pacdltpa

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

electrical problems, rear passenger window fell down inside door by itself, a.c. system replaced, valve cover gaskets replaced, head lamp flashes on and off by itself, battery died (twice),radiator failed, lower coolant hose failed, hydraulic lift supports for both hood and rear window failed , radio volume control does not work, recall for front suspension bushings replaced, recall (now) for dangerous gas tank must take to dealer to install tow hitch to protect gas tank, 92,000 miles young. most of this has taken place in the four years we have owned the vehicle. bought it with 38,000 miles. the larger problems have been address in th elast 6 months.gas mileage ridiculous.

Favorite Features

high profile, sturdy, a/c works good, good vision , tinted privacy glass, relatively smooth ride for a jeep. cruise control, exterior lighting is good.

Suggested Improvements

drive into river to see if it floats. why no recall on the window problem and electrical problems. if you go online and research you will see these problems are rampant and to replace and repair the window ids ridiculous. I had to duct tape it to the door frame to keep it from falling. I could go on and on but you get the picture. would I recommend? no.

Wonderful with flaws
By camrice

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Wonderful car, fabulous on the highway or in the city, good engine noise down low, and a great throaty roar up top. Short wheelbase makes parking a breeze but sacrifices ride comfort and interior space. 5 people is a squeeze unless one or more is a small child. fun to drive in the city, corners well when not driving extremely aggressively, perfect for whipping around backstreets. However, when you really push it it does feel like it will roll, which is a sacrifice made to provide ground clearance for off roading. Speaking of off roading, this thing can handle anything a sensible person can throw at it. Indiana snow is no match for the 4-wheel drive, weather in low or high settings.

Favorite Features

Short wheelbase, makes it easier to park and fun to drive. Good looks, has always reminded me of a good dog... this is reflected by the engine, which jumps out of the gate in a fun way like a jack russel terrier (which i own). Comfy seats and high driving position make it a decent highway cruiser for long journeys. Wonderful in snow and ice, especially when getting over high snowbanks. rear seats fold down easily to make a BIG loading space in rear, I use this to do grocery shopping. Very reliable, which is unusual for chrysler products

Suggested Improvements

Thirsty engine-this engine drinks gas, and with only 210 HP (although plenty of torque), its not exactly a racer. Rear seats, while easy to fold down, never fold flat, which would be useful to use as a make- shift bed (wink). The rear tailgate would be better suited as split folding. Also, as many may have heard, these cars are a fire danger! the gas tank is between the rear axle and rear bumper, so a low speed collision can puncture it easily. Also, the sound system is whimpy, my older brother (kind of a dumb guy) blew out my front right speaker, so i have all the sound concentrated to the rears, since i dont want to pay for a new speaker when i dont blast music. the wheels corrode easily!

Saved me in a rollover
By siii

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved loved loved my Jeep Liberty. I bought it at 108k and drove it for 2 years. I also drove it home, 500+ miles away at least once a month. The pickup and acceleration is slower than other cars, and the gas mileage was usually 20 mpg (highway). Weird noise in the rear breaks when he was running at ~30mph but it stopped over 40mph. Always had it since I changed the breaks.

Favorite Features

Sturdy engine even in near 0 degrees temperatures. Easy switch from 2 wheel to 4-wheel drive. I loved the "Jeep" look. Loved it. I don't like the newer Liberty models. High ground clearance for snowbanks

Suggested Improvements

One major problem was it's tendency to rollover at high speeds. I was driving on a highway when another car came into my lane and I had to hit the breaks hard. I served, rolled over 360 degrees. The roof bent in and windows crushed (totaled), but I was completely unhurt from the accident. I understand that it has a high ground clearance, so it's more prone for a rollover. On another note, gas mileage was terrible.