Rear window regulators
By Adrienne on
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my Jeep new. Although I love it overall, the rear window regulators are a pain. Mine have broken 3 times. I finally took off the door cover and propped up the window with a 1x1 stick. I operate on the theory, no one sits back there in my car. My brother has the same model and his broke. My nephew also has a Jeep and his broke. If they are not going to do a recall. they could at least make the part available. They don't. That makes you hostage to the dealer. I can buy the motor, but not the regulator.
Favorite Features
4 wheel drive with full set of skid plates
Suggested Improvements
If you are not going to do a recall, at least make the parts available to the public. It's truly awful to be held hostage to the dealer repair shop.
By jeepgirl18
on 05/31/13 18:30 PM (PDT)

I have the same problem with my 2003 Liberty. I have replaced the regulator/motor 3 times on each back window. The ironic thing about the replacements is the back windows are very seldomly used. I commute to work and the only one in the Jeep 99% of the time and usually there are no passengers in the back seats to use the windows. There should be a recall because it sounds like mine is not the only one with this problem. Other than the back windows the Liberty is a great SUV.

By freedomjeep14
on 06/11/14 11:38 AM (PDT)

I also had the same problem with the rear window regulators in my 03 Liberty. Had them go out eight times since the car was bought in 2008. Four times on each side in less than a year from replacement. The windows were locked out all the time and no one ever sits in the back. After the eighth time, the Jeep dealership here quit honoring the one year parts replacement warranty. The problem is, the part connected to the window which moves up and down on the track is made of plastic and breaks even if the window is not used. The motor usually is not the problem. I found a parts replacement company called STEIGER PERFORMANCE on the web who sells a metal replacement part. The cost of the part for both rear windows was less than the labor for one window repair. They come with a set of easy to follow instructions and there is a repair video on their website. Hope this will help future owners.