2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review: Great at first

2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Review

Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 4x4 5-speed Manual)

Great at first
By htanner on

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Jeep Liberty used. It was only a year old and I loved it! I wasn't concerned with gas milage back then so the average 19 mpg highway didn't bother me. Drove great for the first 5 years except the blower motor for the heater went out several times. In the last few years of owning it I started having problems. First my water pump went and then the front drive shaft blew up. I went without a drive shaft for a little while (no 4 wheel drive for me) until winter and then installed a new one. That one lasted 2 uses and then blew up as well. I got one more installed and that one lasted 1 use. I heard that this was a problem in these models. I have since moved on.

Love the cargo room and space throughout the vehicle. Handeled well in the winter when the 4 wheel drive was working.

Better blower motors for the heater. Redesign of the 4 wheel drive system. Easy to get into 4 wheel drive, very difficult to get out of 4 wheel drive. Went through 3 front drive shafts because of this. Became too expensive to keep repairing!
By rodras
on 03/03/13 19:30 PM (PST)

Mine had the same problem with front driveshaft last year and I bought a CV joint kit at www.driveshaftfparts.com. So far, and after more than 10 uses, the DS has been performing smooth and my Jeep is the same rock climber as ever!

By tgfh
on 03/10/13 03:09 AM (PDT)

sounds to me like you are disappointed you need to do normal maintenance. Water pumps don't last longer than 100k. The drive shaft sounds like an install problem - get a better mechanic. My 2003 has 172k and I've maintained it well - 1 front drive shaft, 1 water pump, both front control arm bushings, all 4 shocks, tires, radiator, AC relay, updated fan relay. Cars driven daily do wear out. Maintain it nd they will last forever. My 1995 Cherokee is going strong with 412k on the original engine/tranny. Can't beat a Jeep - if you take care of them