2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Review: Have a 2003 and still like JEE

2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Review

Have a 2003 and still like JEEPs
By bzalways on

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have owned several Jeeps over the years. Recently when our 1995 Grand Cherokee was wreaked and the frame bent (brother-in law borrowed it) we decided to upgrade to a used 2003 Liberty Renegade. My wife loves it and enjoyed driving it everyday for 5 mos. til engine blew. At 168,000 miles we didn't think twice that the miles were high (The 1995 GC had 204,000 and I have a 1994 GC still using with 242,000 on it!) but we were wrong. Apparently with the 3.7L "oil sludge" becomes an issue over 100,000. Something about faulty valves cause premature engine wear. No recall yet but have seen many incidents of blown heads, head gaskets, and blown motors in very young motors. Beware.

Favorite Features

Renegade style gives it a "beefy" look and the light bar is awesome. Feels a little top heavy when turning but didn't rollover when wife slid in ditch from ice, and she slid hard enough to pull both tires off the rims on passenger side!

Suggested Improvements

Some instrument warnings about the oil "sludging up" would have been nice before engine blew. Could have flushed engine and changed oil more frequently. A lower ability for the driver seat. I'm 5'10" and felt like I was driving a golf cart with my head in the ceiling.