Great at first
By htanner on
2003 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
I bought my 03 Jeep Liberty used. It was only a year old and I loved it! I wasn't concerned with gas milage back then so the average 19 mpg highway didn't bother me. Drove great for the first 5 years except the blower motor for the heater went out several times. In the last few years of owning it I started having problems. First my water pump went and then the front drive shaft blew up. I went without a drive shaft for a little while (no 4 wheel drive for me) until winter and then installed a new one. That one lasted 2 uses and then blew up as well. I got one more installed and that one lasted 1 use. I heard that this was a problem in these models. I have since moved on.
Favorite Features
Love the cargo room and space throughout the vehicle. Handeled well in the winter when the 4 wheel drive was working.
Suggested Improvements
Better blower motors for the heater. Redesign of the 4 wheel drive system. Easy to get into 4 wheel drive, very difficult to get out of 4 wheel drive. Went through 3 front drive shafts because of this. Became too expensive to keep repairing!
By tgfh
on 03/10/13 03:09 AM (PDT)

sounds to me like you are disappointed you need to do normal maintenance. Water pumps don't last longer than 100k. The drive shaft sounds like an install problem - get a better mechanic. My 2003 has 172k and I've maintained it well - 1 front drive shaft, 1 water pump, both front control arm bushings, all 4 shocks, tires, radiator, AC relay, updated fan relay. Cars driven daily do wear out. Maintain it nd they will last forever. My 1995 Cherokee is going strong with 412k on the original engine/tranny. Can't beat a Jeep - if you take care of them

By rodras
on 03/03/13 19:30 PM (PST)

Mine had the same problem with front driveshaft last year and I bought a CV joint kit at www.driveshaftfparts.com. So far, and after more than 10 uses, the DS has been performing smooth and my Jeep is the same rock climber as ever!