Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep Convert
By Anton

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Jeep, and it made a convert out of me. The engine has plenty of "pep" and it's ready to fly with the mere feathering of the gas pedal. The MPG is pretty decent - between 25 - 30+ after some ZMax. Which is fantastic for such a heavy 4x4. Heavy Northern Winters aren't a problem at all. I love to head out in conditions that keep the plows garaged and I've yet to get stuck or have to slow down. All in all, I love this Jeep more than anything and I plan on keeping it until it dies or is rusted beyond recognition. Plenty of ample cargo space as well, even if we only take up half a parking space in this little thing! Yet somehow it's very spacious on the inside.

Energetic engine, handling, comfort, style, MPG, yet to find Winter weather powerful enough to stop it, et al.

Would love a diesel option for even better MPG, make fog lamps standard, would love it in Dodge's Sunburst Orange!

Love it, but...
By Joni

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Liberty Sport for about 2.5 years now and really like it. It is fun to drive and has a good deal of room.

I live the fact is has the power when you need it (V6).

Improve the mpg, with the current gas prices it is killing me to fill up. It costs anywhere from 45 to 50 bucks to fill the thing up. I am paying as much as the vehicle payment in gas each month! Maybe not as much, but pretty close :)

My Liberty Rocked!
By Racheal

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Jeep Liberty, because it was cute, inexpensive, and had plenty of power. I disliked the gas mileage, I expected better mileage out of such a small SUV. I never had any mechanical problems out of it. Easter Sunday 2008 my 9 year old and I were hit on the driver side, we flipped and slid upside down for 75 yards. I fell in love with my Liberty when we both walked away without a scratch! The adjuster came out to see my Jeep and was amazed with how well the Jeep's top stood up to the wreck!

I liked the way the Jeep sets up higher, and even though it is a small SUV you can really carry a lot, My daughter and I drop the back seats down and loaded it down with our camping supplies and her 110 cc four wheeler!

The Liberty ride is not the best it could use some improvement!

Another love my Jeep person
By cometdog

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Jeep for 8 months, and love it! The rack and pinion steering and the power are fun. The suspension rules, for an on or off road vehicle (done both). This is the first vehicle I've owned that cheers me up to drive after a rotten day at work. So far no mechanical bugs, I would recommend the Liberty to anyone considering a "cute ute". It's not a soccer mom thing, and the name Sport is appropriate

Looks, handling, power and general Jeep features

Pretty much the same as everyone else has described. Short wheel base and lack of arm rests makes it tiring on long trips, unless you take the back roads.

Liberty 4x4 Limited
By Brent

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Liberty since April of 2007 (used of course). Purchased with about 51,000 miles. The only complaints that I have about it is that the stock tires on it are terrible even when the ground is just slightly wet. It is very dangerous and I think Chrysler shouldn't and should never again sell any of their cars with these tires. I'm having the tires replaced with Bridgestones, a much better tire than the Goodyears that come on it. In addition, when you are coming to a stop it is almost as if the car sputters or clunks I'm not too sure how to describe it. I'm thinking it is coming from the transmission and I hope this isn't going to turn into a problem. Overall a very stable vehicle.

4x4, cold air condition, very warm heat, the color of mine (red), the alloy wheels, space, height off the ground and much more. I just wish it had a sunroof, I think the Limited edition should have come standard with a sunroof.

Transmission problems, I seem to not be the only person with this complaint, along with the crappy tires that come on the car.