Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Great Northern Vehicle but!
By John

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this Jeep since new and it's a lot of fun to drive and for the most of it my wife drives it to and from work a two miles total but after it turned 50,000 miles a lot of little things started to loosen up like the front fenders, shift knob etc. Had to replace the alternator twice and went through three batteries. It now has eighty thousand miles and had to have the transmission seals replaced and now the transfer case for the four wheel drive. So if I ever buy one again I will have to BUY the warranty extended plan but what a shame when other vehicles come with a 100 thousand mile and ten year warranty for free.

I do love owning a Jeep it has great handling and excellent 4 wheel drive handling in the winter.

Stop using cheap parts for making the transmission And build a stronger alternator.

Fired Up!!!!
By Fired Up!!!!!

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Liberty for 5 years and have had zero problems with it. It has been wonderful. The problems that have been described with tires and handling I have not experienced. My Liberty has taken everything that has been thrown at it from hail storms (without a dent) to near blizzard conditions (without a slide off). Awesome vehicle.

4x4, AC, Stero, interior comfort, all weather handling, stability & SAFE

Improve the chrome package. Within one month the fake plastic chrome (Mopar) wheel covers were gone and the fake chrome grill will fade. That's it

Jeep owner for life
By Amanda

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Jeep. I had a Cherokee and loved it too and when it came time to retire her, I needed another. Sadly, she went extinct and was replaced with the Liberty. I don't love the curved styling and wish they would have stuck with the "Traditional Jeep" style but its still a Jeep and it acts like one. Back seat not so comfy. Fun to drive. Great storage. Gas mileage sucks- about 15 mpg. No problems with reliability. Only maintenance performed so far- I don't expect anything major till about 100k. I would definitely buy another IF gas weren't such an issue. I am going to possibly trade her in, but it will be for her gas friendly sibling the Patriot. It's a Jeep thing and we know it!

Love the new body style. Make a hybrid and I'm sold on a new one!

Loved my Jeep but she is no more...
By Lisa

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely loved my Liberty. Fun to drive, loved the moon roof, leather heated seats (especially in the winter time.) I have, however, rolled it. It rolled about 1.5 times. I just really wanted to say I would buy a Liberty again just for the simple fact that I walked away from the accident. The accident was only 5 days ago and I have very little pain, soreness but completely bearable. Granted, I was wearing my seatbelt and I am young. Felt safe and would recommend the Liberty.

Heated leather seats, various controls on steering wheels.

The placement of window controls took some getting used to, would like more storage space in center console and dash console. Better gas mileage. I was only getting 14-16 mpg.

Love everything but the gas...
By heather

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Renegade Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Absolutely love the Jeep! The ONLY thing I don’t like about my Liberty is that is guzzles more gas than a bowl of chili can produce. Living in Texas and having a family of chili lovers, that’s saying a lot! I have to fill up normally twice a week. I only work 8 miles from home and don’t do much traveling around as we tend to use my husband's Prius for everyday chores and still have a gad problem with the Liberty. I only get 14 miles to a gallon. NO LIE… check my bank account. Lol Otherwise it’s an excellent car. I have 45,500 miles on it and unless gas prices go down anytime soon (can’t see filling up my 14-16 gal tank at 5 bucks a gallon in this lifetime) then I plan on keeping my Jeep.

Cold AC, Light bar on dark roads, Window controls in the middle, Comfy seats.

Better gas usage.