Used 2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Great Vehicle
By Jeff C

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this 4 wheel drive 6 years now and plan to keep driving it until it dies. I would buy another one if they still made this body style. It has been a surprisingly reliable vehicle. I have never taken it to the shop for any repairs, just maintenance. (knock on wood) I just checked the milage and got 19 MPG in mostly city driving. I got 65,000 miles on the original tires.

It is a rugged 4 wheel drive that can go just about anywhere I need with my work. It has a tight turning radius and is very stable in cornering compared to the wrangler.

A better stereo maybe.

Pretty good asides from the MPG 3.7A4
By Zeferam Cockran

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Jeep since 2004, used to be my fleet truck and purchased t for personal use since knew history, no problems to report until recently an electrical short due to water contact on an electrical plug on the floor under the back seat ( what was jeep thinking when they designed this??? ) cost 500 to fix otherwise good ride and with my three huge dogs no torn seat fabrics , impressive compared to my previous cars. Could say a lot about gas mileage however well worth to visit dealer for CPU updates, the one to reconfigure tranny is well worth it, no more hard shifts and bit better gas mileage. All around good performance, noise level a bit high inside but acceptable.

Selectable 4WD system, no more worthless "AWD" like all other manufacturers like to boast, shift leaver or differential, now driving a fleet Liberty 08 and have had issues with electronic flip switch for 4WD. Good seat fabric easy to clean

Latch for tailgate window. went through TWO windshield replacements in 10 days. AT shift lever can easily be knocked out of position into N by pets or kids.

SUV that ACTUALLY performs off road
By Patric Payette

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best SUV's I've ever driven. It handles on road well and off road even better. With no after market parts I've taken my Liberty far into the bushes and it handles mud pits with ease. When on pavement it drives nice, has good power and does everything an SUV should do on the road. Other SUV makers should take note. This is a true offroad vehicle unlike most SUV's in its class. If your a soccer mom I'm sure it would fill your needs as well. Nothing is more fun than driving downtown with my Jeep Liberty covered from top to bottom in mud after mudding and seeing all the looks you get from "city drivers". I have absolutely pounded on this Jeep and haven't had any breakdowns.

Great 4x4 system. Good clearance offroad but isn't too hard to get in and out of under normal circumstances. Perfect sized engine for the work. Great heat and A/C. Nice visuals out all windows making driving very comfortable and easy.

Tanks is kind of small for its gas mileage, limiting how far into untamed wilderness you can go into.

Love It
By Matt

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We LOVE our 2003 Liberty. We bought it used with 20,000 miles on it and have added 60,000 to it and only replaced the belt and belt tensioner. (plus brakes and tires) I replaced the original tires at 70,000 only because I was worried about them being so old. They still had 1/2 tread. When our son turned 16 last month, we gave him the 2003 and went and bought a 2008 Liberty. Like it even more and it's hard to believe but the 2008 is even faster. These things are rocket ships. The seats in the 2003 are a bit uncomfortable but the 2008 has that fixed. You could nap in those puppies. And the new sky-slider roof is just about the coolest feature on any car anywhere.

Power, overall quality, low cost of ownership, holds it's value very well, can go absolutely anywhere, it is actually fun to change the oil since it has that built in funnel to catch the spillage from the oil filter.

Gas mileage and nothing else. Don't fix it, it ain't broke.

197,000 Miles and still going strong!
By shemp76

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just hit 197K miles the other week and have had very few issues outside routine maintenance. Replaced the AC compressor two years ago, rotors twice (due to my own neglect). Still only on 3rd set of tires and they have at least another 30k in them. Local mechanic said it will need new rear shocks soon. Tremendous value for my money vs. needs and it still averages 21 mpg hwy!

Good fuel economy considering it's an suv. Comfort. Reliability. Very low maintenance.

Easier access to lights needed for replacing bulbs. Better speakers. Make tow hitch standard.