2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Not Great, but Not Horrible
By jeepsburgh on 02/20/07 09:49 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has turned out to be what I expected, an inexpensive SUV. The mileage is exactly what was on the sticker. The car performs very well in snow/ice. Some people like the look and some don't. I can transport 3 kids. I can fold the seats down and haul large items (even got a packaged treadmill in there). The interior is OK; however it is populated with cheap plastic. The seats aren't the greatest, but they aren't the worst. If you did your homework, there shouldn't have been any surprises. Would I get another? No. Am I eager to get rid of mine? No.

a lot of bang for the buck
By 918jeeper on 12/10/06 19:10 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

As a previous Wrangler owner, I was a bit skeptical of the Liberty's off road ability. When I took it off road for the first time (the same day I bought it) although it was just a dirt road with some washboard type terrain, the suspension handled it like a smooth paved road. When I did get a chance to try the low range (4-Lo) with the long suspension travel and its great articulation, it handled anything from deep ruts to decent sized rocks. The highway performance is really good for a SUV, the 3.7 liter V6 has plenty of power to get the job done.

I love my Jeep!
By sugar00101 on 11/02/06 11:55 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. Very easy to park, and I am bad at parking. Handles well. Very comfortable. Even after 12 hours of driving in one day, my back and neck was not sore like it would have been in previously vehicles owned. I have owned this Jeep for over 2 years now, and it has only been to the shop once for a battery change, and I put a lot of miles on vehicles. It is up to 90,000 and has a lot more in it. I would recommend this to anyone. Great get up and go, cold ac, I love the chrome accents, I wasn't 100% crazy about the body, but it grew on me quickly.

Freedom Edition is the best.
By Jeramie Murray on 09/26/06 11:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this Jeep, I have always been a Wrangler guy, but they are not the most practical for everyday use. This Liberty fits the bill, seats four comfortably and has some storage; also it is a JEEP. Will go almost anywhere which is the point of 4 wheel drive and the gas mileage is far better than the Wrangler I had previously. I highly recommend this vehicle.

Stylish
By Heather on 09/13/06 08:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband bought this Jeep for me because I needed something with 4 wheel drive and style but wanted the comfort of a car. Well me got all that and more. I love it... gets 22 miles to the gallon.

I luv my Liberty.
By Off Road Rich on 08/29/06 14:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Didn't want to replace my wife's Sebring convertible. But this really fills the bill. Comfort, style, capability and fun.

03 Jeep Liberty
By City Girl on 08/22/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted the sporty look, but live in a city so I chose the Jeep Liberty. Looks sporty, not like the updated station wagons (Crossover vehicles), great interior, the ride was a little rough at first but changed out the stock tires and it rides like a luxury car. The one big minus the Liberty has, it has always been a little gas guzzler from day one! Don't let the small tank fool you - you will be filling it quite often. Now, at 61,500 miles it looks as if I may have to trade it, although I really don't want to. Everything works great, except we now have a knock in the transmission in first gear. I'm just not into making car payments and major repairs. Sorry Jeep Liberty.

stalling problems
By questioning on 08/20/06 19:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Jeep did great for the first few years. Now it is in the shop more than out. The dealership started by replacing the crank sensor, and now they say they don't know, or there is nothing wrong. The poetic justice is that the mechanic finally got stuck himself in it and had to be towed. However, I still don't have my vehicle. It is my second Jeep, but I am disappointed now. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same. It started with downshifting at odd times and now just stalls out while driving. I only saw one review that said the same, but several that mention a hard shift, etc. I wonder if it is a factory defect.

Extremely dangerous in wet conditions!
By tclaryuk on 07/26/06 18:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Liberty for 2 1/2 yrs now, with 47,000 miles. In the past year or so we have had terrible experiences of this car sliding and skidding when there is the slightest bit of rain on the road. The dealership recently checked it and said that the tires did not need replacing. Now we drive as if we are on ice when the road is wet. Even then we still have instances where we lose control. Unfortunately due to employee pricing incentives it will cost a lot of money to replace this car now as it has a low trade-in value. We have just taken the decision to spend $10,000 to replace this car with a Honda Pilot. A cheap price to save a life!

Transmission Problems?
By Vicki on 06/13/06 12:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really like the design of the Liberty but the seats are not as comfortable as expected and the gas mileage is not very good either. I had some major brake noise for the first few months and now at three years, I am having some serious hard down-shifting going on. I have taken it into the dealer several times and they cannot find the problem and make me feel like I am going nuts but my friends and my boyfriend have driven it when it happens.