Used 2003 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Repairs needed. Gas guzzler. Rides like a truck.
By steadythunder

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I spent 1,500 dollars on repairs the first week I owned it.
It cost me another 400 within the next week.
I don't have much confidence in the reliability, since it left me stranded twice in the first month of ownership.

It rides very much like a truck, and gets very poor gas mileage.
Mine is 4WD, but did not come equipped with a towing package.
It is the first 4WD I have owned with no provision for towing.

It is very nice looking and the basic body style was the same for several years in a row.
Mine could be mistaken for a much newer Liberty.

4WD. Nice looking body styling.

The manufacturer should have made this SUV reliable. Nothing worse that having no confidence in the vehicle every time you drive it.

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4. V6
By 2003libby

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought this car in Jan. 2011, and I have owned it for 6 months now, I have already put in $800 for repairing. It has 204,000 miles on it but it was 95% highway miles. I guess this is why people leaning toward for foreign vehicles.

None, interior looks cheap, exterior is not much better.

Liberty is not really made for off-road in the line of Jeep, so, please make it more road friendly at least, other SUVs in the same class already understand it and make their SUVs more fuel efficient. Secondly, put some thoughts into designing the interior.

Rear window regulators
By Adrienne

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep new. Although I love it overall, the rear window regulators are a pain. Mine have broken 3 times. I finally took off the door cover and propped up the window with a 1x1 stick. I operate on the theory, no one sits back there in my car. My brother has the same model and his broke. My nephew also has a Jeep and his broke. If they are not going to do a recall. they could at least make the part available. They don't. That makes you hostage to the dealer. I can buy the motor, but not the regulator.

4 wheel drive with full set of skid plates

If you are not going to do a recall, at least make the parts available to the public. It's truly awful to be held hostage to the dealer repair shop.

Repair Rebuilt
By jeepguy

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 200,000 here is the rundown of what has been repair/replaced on my '03. I have essentially rebuilt this SUV, after I "gambled" on the transmission at 160,000 hoping not much else would happen and I could not afford a new car payment. Heads(machined)/Head Gasket and all supplementary gaskets for top of engine Cooling System, hoses, and Radiator AC Compressor Fan and Interior Temp Relay Serpentine Belt (twice) Battery (twice) Regulator Water Pump Transmission Front Transaxle Shocks Rear V Stabilizer Front Ball Joints (recall) Front Control Arm Never mind the brakes, rotors, and tires and I still like the car, sort of.

Be Prepared For Repairs
By Broke in Indiana

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

If you buy a Liberty, be prepared to spend a lot on repairs. I have had to replace all brakes 4 times because of faulty calipers-approx $850 each time. The front right wheel fell off - lower ball joint recall issue-repaired twice). Front end 4x4 went out - $1,600.00. Catalytic converter failed- $2,200.00. Many other issues costing $200 to $400 each time. Other undesirable items: Very poor gas mileage. I avg 14.5 miles per gall mixed city/hwy driving. Good Things-Looks good. Like the power, but beware-on rainy/snowy days you can easily spin out

Has power & many features