2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Bought new, no problems for 6 yrs
By Sheylal on 05/26/09 06:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in 2003, replaced a snapped hood latch cable in 2008. Replaced original tires at 60,000 miles with Cooper and much quieter ride. Brakes changed twice. Battery died last month after 6 yrs. Right fog light burned out this week. Very reliable. Live in Northern lower Michigan lots of rain, snow and ice. Never any driving issues summer or winter. Trail ride weekly on two tracks and quad trails, drive to work Mon - Fri. Great ride, great handling. Front seats are not comfortable for long rides is my only complaint. I also own 2000 Jeep Wrangler which is fun but rougher riding. Liberty ride is carlike in 4 Wheel drive. Very Reliable.

Always a jeep owner
By SEEKAUFF on 05/24/09 01:24 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

80,000 miles on the first set of tires. Love the selec trac transmission. Absolutely no problems so far only routine maintenance. Love the heated seats and moonroof. Lots of storage space inside. Heater will cook you and A/C will freeze you. Had an 89 cherokee that I sold at 265,000 miles. Hoping to make this one last as long too.

Great Vehicle
By Jeff C on 04/22/09 07:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this 4 wheel drive 6 years now and plan to keep driving it until it dies. I would buy another one if they still made this body style. It has been a surprisingly reliable vehicle. I have never taken it to the shop for any repairs, just maintenance. (knock on wood) I just checked the milage and got 19 MPG in mostly city driving. I got 65,000 miles on the original tires.

Pretty good asides from the MPG 3.7A4
By Zeferam Cockran on 03/07/09 10:38 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this Jeep since 2004, used to be my fleet truck and purchased t for personal use since knew history, no problems to report until recently an electrical short due to water contact on an electrical plug on the floor under the back seat ( what was jeep thinking when they designed this??? ) cost 500 to fix otherwise good ride and with my three huge dogs no torn seat fabrics , impressive compared to my previous cars. Could say a lot about gas mileage however well worth to visit dealer for CPU updates, the one to reconfigure tranny is well worth it, no more hard shifts and bit better gas mileage. All around good performance, noise level a bit high inside but acceptable.

SUV that ACTUALLY performs off road
By Patric Payette on 02/18/09 22:27 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

One of the best SUV's I've ever driven. It handles on road well and off road even better. With no after market parts I've taken my Liberty far into the bushes and it handles mud pits with ease. When on pavement it drives nice, has good power and does everything an SUV should do on the road. Other SUV makers should take note. This is a true offroad vehicle unlike most SUV's in its class. If your a soccer mom I'm sure it would fill your needs as well. Nothing is more fun than driving downtown with my Jeep Liberty covered from top to bottom in mud after mudding and seeing all the looks you get from "city drivers". I have absolutely pounded on this Jeep and haven't had any breakdowns.

Love It
By Matt on 01/21/09 12:59 PM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We LOVE our 2003 Liberty. We bought it used with 20,000 miles on it and have added 60,000 to it and only replaced the belt and belt tensioner. (plus brakes and tires) I replaced the original tires at 70,000 only because I was worried about them being so old. They still had 1/2 tread. When our son turned 16 last month, we gave him the 2003 and went and bought a 2008 Liberty. Like it even more and it's hard to believe but the 2008 is even faster. These things are rocket ships. The seats in the 2003 are a bit uncomfortable but the 2008 has that fixed. You could nap in those puppies. And the new sky-slider roof is just about the coolest feature on any car anywhere.

197,000 Miles and still going strong!
By shemp76 on 10/28/08 12:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just hit 197K miles the other week and have had very few issues outside routine maintenance. Replaced the AC compressor two years ago, rotors twice (due to my own neglect). Still only on 3rd set of tires and they have at least another 30k in them. Local mechanic said it will need new rear shocks soon. Tremendous value for my money vs. needs and it still averages 21 mpg hwy!

Great Northern Vehicle but!
By John on 09/25/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this Jeep since new and it's a lot of fun to drive and for the most of it my wife drives it to and from work a two miles total but after it turned 50,000 miles a lot of little things started to loosen up like the front fenders, shift knob etc. Had to replace the alternator twice and went through three batteries. It now has eighty thousand miles and had to have the transmission seals replaced and now the transfer case for the four wheel drive. So if I ever buy one again I will have to BUY the warranty extended plan but what a shame when other vehicles come with a 100 thousand mile and ten year warranty for free.

Fired Up!!!!
By Fired Up!!!!! on 06/17/08 11:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Liberty for 5 years and have had zero problems with it. It has been wonderful. The problems that have been described with tires and handling I have not experienced. My Liberty has taken everything that has been thrown at it from hail storms (without a dent) to near blizzard conditions (without a slide off). Awesome vehicle.

Jeep owner for life
By Amanda on 06/03/08 15:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Jeep. I had a Cherokee and loved it too and when it came time to retire her, I needed another. Sadly, she went extinct and was replaced with the Liberty. I don't love the curved styling and wish they would have stuck with the "Traditional Jeep" style but its still a Jeep and it acts like one. Back seat not so comfy. Fun to drive. Great storage. Gas mileage sucks- about 15 mpg. No problems with reliability. Only maintenance performed so far- I don't expect anything major till about 100k. I would definitely buy another IF gas weren't such an issue. I am going to possibly trade her in, but it will be for her gas friendly sibling the Patriot. It's a Jeep thing and we know it!