Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Mechanically substandard
By MikeBrock61

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Hello All, This is one of many new cars I have bought and it is the worst one mechanically. The engine makes rattling noises, the front seats have been stained by water, the rear right brake drags, the clutch / drivetrain makes a bad clunking noise, it idles rough, and a myriad of other smaller problems. Some of the problems are intermittent which makes it even more difficult to get fixed. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Save yourself problems and buy something else. I hope I can invoke the NY "lemon law" and get rid of this car.

The body style is nice and the fit and finish of the interior is good (other than the easily stained seats).

Replace the entire drivetrain with something that is engineered properly.

Loyall Jeep owner since 1987 until now
By mark d

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I always loved Jeeps so when I needed a new vehicle I decided to stay with the good old American Jeep.What a mistake. First I have had nothing but issues with my electrical wiring used for my towing hitch which started at around 15,000 miles and first use.When I brought my Liberty back to have this repaired, I had to fight with the dealer to have it fixed (lets just say I spoke with every manager in the dealership and actually had to contact Jeep headquarters directly)- headache #1 still not solved, still not working. Now I am having transmission problems at 34,000 miles.It feels as though my transmission is stuck in third or fourth gear.

Start making qualty vehicles with major improvements in the area of customer service.

LOVIN' IT!
By RMICHELLEB

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really love my Jeep and so does my 3 year old son, her name is Libby. We have driven a lot of highway miles and even though the gas mileage is only about 17 mpg, it's a fun trip and we don't want to get out.

I love everything.

Sport edition needs a ceiling light in the middle; too much wind noise; not enough leg room for back seat riders; seats stain too easily

Jeep troubles
By jeep problems

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't even had my 2003 Jeep Liberty for a year and I've had it back to the dealer multiple times because of issues with the transmission. It's hard shifting when it slow to a certain speed. No one seems to be able to figure it out.

Buyer Beware
By Bikerdude

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A nice vehicle, however I have owned mine for less then a year, and it has now made 3 trips to the dealership for transmission problems, and is on it's way to the 4th trip.

The service department of my local dealer.

Transmission, fuel economy