Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Most Helpful|
Dream Driving!
By Debbie A.

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My jeep is about the sharpest, "funnest" vehicle I've ever owned! It's the perfect car. Mine came with an off-road package and I fell in love with it immediately. I had been looking for weeks at different SUV's, and this was a show stopper. I always get stares while I'm driving! It's super during the winter, I never had a problem in our snowy (Ohio) roads last year. I've had the car for 10 months and have had no mechanical problems or otherwise.

Favorite Features

The seat warmers and side mirror defrosters are a definitePLUS in the winter. Also, for it's size, it is very roomy inside, we never feel cramped. Love the computer, and controls on the steering wheel also.

Suggested Improvements

I hated the window controls being in the center console at first, but now I'm used to it. The glove compartment is small, and the visor could use a drop down addition. Also miss the lights not coming on automatically when starting the car.

Love the Car!
By Berrywood

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the looks and the performance of this SUV. The only problem with mine is the 2.4 L engine is too small to carry the weight of this vehicle, even using a 5 speed manual transmission. The fuel economy is the same or less than the 3.7 L automatic (of course, some of that is the way I drive, heh, heh!). I will definitely be buying another Liberty, but with the 3.7 L engine.

Favorite Features

Remote keyless entry, looks, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Glove box is too small, fold down rear seats need to fold down flatter, I would love to see BENCH seats in the front!

Loved my Jeep but she is no more...
By Lisa

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely loved my Liberty. Fun to drive, loved the moon roof, leather heated seats (especially in the winter time.) I have, however, rolled it. It rolled about 1.5 times. I just really wanted to say I would buy a Liberty again just for the simple fact that I walked away from the accident. The accident was only 5 days ago and I have very little pain, soreness but completely bearable. Granted, I was wearing my seatbelt and I am young. Felt safe and would recommend the Liberty.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, various controls on steering wheels.

Suggested Improvements

The placement of window controls took some getting used to, would like more storage space in center console and dash console. Better gas mileage. I was only getting 14-16 mpg.

Suprising
By colleen

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I can't believe my jeep has 180K and still runs like new. I have not had one single mechanical issue with it. Oil changes faithfully every 5K, occasional engine tune up and some new brakes 50K back is all I've ever done for maintenance. Am I just lucky or is this actually a decently made US vehicle?

Favorite Features

Plenty of nice power features come standard. Leather seats are really comfy and seat heaters nice in winter.

Suggested Improvements

The controls for the power windows are located in the center console between the front seats, still not really used to it after 7 years! Make a clean diesel for better gas mileage, otherwise because the MPG is so bad that I won't buy another one(if this one ever decides to die that is).

2003 Liberty Sport
By khurt1

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Contrary to many of these negative Liberty reviews, I would like to say we love our Jeep. Milage is ~ 12L/100KM city, 9.5L Hwy loaded. It hauls my 19ft. travel trailer very well. Great in snow and ice. Major repairs: front rack and pinion unit @ ~ 120K kms. Mileage is now at ~ 150K kms. Bought vehicle at the end of 2008. No other major repairs.

Favorite Features

I love the 5 speed standard. Car is very peppy and good for hauling. I like the interior door handles and window buttons on the console instead of the doors. Good stereo system. Good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

With the price of fuel going up, I think this is the biggest drawback of the Jeep. I would really like a car that gets 8-9L/100km and with today's vehicles, especially with diesel engines, it's possible to duplicate the power of the jeep and still get that kind of mileage. However, for its day, and for the price, I don't think the fuel consumption is that big a compromise. Having ~ 1 foot more length in the back would have been a big improvement. No one except a child can lie down back there! Also, when going on trips, the storage is very limited behind the back seat.