Used 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep owner for life
By Amanda

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Jeep. I had a Cherokee and loved it too and when it came time to retire her, I needed another. Sadly, she went extinct and was replaced with the Liberty. I don't love the curved styling and wish they would have stuck with the "Traditional Jeep" style but its still a Jeep and it acts like one. Back seat not so comfy. Fun to drive. Great storage. Gas mileage sucks- about 15 mpg. No problems with reliability. Only maintenance performed so far- I don't expect anything major till about 100k. I would definitely buy another IF gas weren't such an issue. I am going to possibly trade her in, but it will be for her gas friendly sibling the Patriot. It's a Jeep thing and we know it!

Suggested Improvements

Love the new body style. Make a hybrid and I'm sold on a new one!

Another love my Jeep person
By cometdog

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Jeep for 8 months, and love it! The rack and pinion steering and the power are fun. The suspension rules, for an on or off road vehicle (done both). This is the first vehicle I've owned that cheers me up to drive after a rotten day at work. So far no mechanical bugs, I would recommend the Liberty to anyone considering a "cute ute". It's not a soccer mom thing, and the name Sport is appropriate

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, power and general Jeep features

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much the same as everyone else has described. Short wheel base and lack of arm rests makes it tiring on long trips, unless you take the back roads.

03 Jeep Liberty
By City Girl

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted the sporty look, but live in a city so I chose the Jeep Liberty. Looks sporty, not like the updated station wagons (Crossover vehicles), great interior, the ride was a little rough at first but changed out the stock tires and it rides like a luxury car. The one big minus the Liberty has, it has always been a little gas guzzler from day one! Don't let the small tank fool you - you will be filling it quite often. Now, at 61,500 miles it looks as if I may have to trade it, although I really don't want to. Everything works great, except we now have a knock in the transmission in first gear. I'm just not into making car payments and major repairs. Sorry Jeep Liberty.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks, compact size, front seats are high so when you surrounded by SUV's you can actually see around you, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve fuel efficiency.

weak Jeep
By Joshua

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

While it has decent power, it gets HORRIBLE mpg. Not very spacious. Feels unstable in quick swerves to avoid traffic/animals. Not a true Jeep.

Favorite Features

Has decent get up and go.

Suggested Improvements

Add power while boosting miles per gallon. Widen and lengthen wheel base.

Fun to Drive!
By Janet Lange

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's peppy and fun to drive. It's good looking in and out. I have always had confidence in its performance when I took it out. It does not ride like a luxury car, but like the little SUV it is supposed to be. I would highly recommend it for the young and the young-at-heart.

Favorite Features

Driving it!

Suggested Improvements

None.