Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

I Love this Jeep! Very pleased
By yvonne62

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this Jeep new in 2003 and it's still going strong. I have not had to make any major repairs, just regular maintaince on it as anyone should. Gas mileage could be better, but it's a Jeep SUV. I have never had a problem in any kind of weather, accept in a tornado once that blew the left front fender off. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain, as foreigns do. I have 138,000 miles on it. I put a great set of tires on it three times, replaced the struts etc, but that's normal for what I do with it. I have been on so many off road trails in Colorado and in the Smokey Mountains that it crazy. I trust my Jeep and it's been really good to me all these years. It's a keeper!

4wd, handling, comfort, size, versatily, does cost a fortune to maintain, my jeep is loaded and I have never had a problem with any of the options. There isn't anything I don't like about this Jeep.

Better gas mileage would be great, but that would be on ant vehicle. I don't like the fact that the ECM module will turn my engine light on when my jeep sits for a couple of weeks without being driven. That's just crazy.

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4!
By 79elcamino

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

i traded my 01 monte carlo for this jeep, i feel like i made the right decision, the jeep only gets abt 4mpg less thn the monte did, wich was around 27. its a nice car with tan and black 2-toned leather interior. i have alot mre passenger room, but the cargo area isnt as big, my jeep has just about every option, im satisfied with my choice to get it, it looks good on the otside, and is fully functional on the inside. the one thing i have to complain about is the window controls, they are in a very akward place. the car handles very well in rain, the only thing i miss about my car is that i dnt have to slow down quite as much to make a turn, in the jeep it almost feel like ill tip over haha!

love the sunroof, and the heated seats!

should have done the eco boost like in the newer liberty's and made a fiberglass cover for the spare tire like on rav4's. also there needs to be cross bars on the roof rack!

Have a 2003 and still like JEEPs
By bzalways

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have owned several Jeeps over the years. Recently when our 1995 Grand Cherokee was wreaked and the frame bent (brother-in law borrowed it) we decided to upgrade to a used 2003 Liberty Renegade. My wife loves it and enjoyed driving it everyday for 5 mos. til engine blew. At 168,000 miles we didn't think twice that the miles were high (The 1995 GC had 204,000 and I have a 1994 GC still using with 242,000 on it!) but we were wrong. Apparently with the 3.7L "oil sludge" becomes an issue over 100,000. Something about faulty valves cause premature engine wear. No recall yet but have seen many incidents of blown heads, head gaskets, and blown motors in very young motors. Beware.

Renegade style gives it a "beefy" look and the light bar is awesome. Feels a little top heavy when turning but didn't rollover when wife slid in ditch from ice, and she slid hard enough to pull both tires off the rims on passenger side!

Some instrument warnings about the oil "sludging up" would have been nice before engine blew. Could have flushed engine and changed oil more frequently. A lower ability for the driver seat. I'm 5'10" and felt like I was driving a golf cart with my head in the ceiling.

Straight Review
By jeepman18

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Jeep liberty 2003 V6 3.7L 4x4 This is an AMAZING vehicle! Ive read so many bad reviews on this and I have never had any problems with ine AT ALL! I have driven a wide variety of vehicles From Hyndaui accent to a Dodge Ram and this has to be my favortie! All these people ho say they have to replace their brakes every 4000 miles are full of crap! How many times do they slam on their brakes bc they werent paying attention to the car infront of them? Alot Im willing to bet on that.

I am so tired of people saying that the seats are uncomfortable and their legs fall asleep all the time.Well that may be true I am not calling anyone a liar but they are probably short 5'5 or 5'6 people whose legs barely reach the pedals. Im 6'4 and I have plenty of room in there and its a comfortable and spacious drive everytime.

I will agree the 16 mpg is putting a strain on my wallet and I but when you have a vehicle this awesome its hard not to make the comprimise!

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 4x4
By benjeep3

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this Jeep for over a year and traded up from older jeep Cherokee. replaced tires, battery and switch to AC in dash. Usual maint. costs. The only bad thing is the Gas MPG, but it is an SUV four wheel drive and that is why I got it. Wife has Toyota which gets around 38 MPG so makes up for my Jeep. I did research on this vehicle before I got it with history and previous repairs. Got great deal on it last year. No tow package but can get one installed for around 150.00. Fun to drive in summer and winter. Hate to fill it up but love the reliability and will have it paid of in about another year and a half. Wife drives it too sometimes.

Reliability, features, handling on and off road. no major repair problems so far. AC works great and so does heater in winter. Privacy glass on Freedom model I have. I replaced lug nuts with all steel and got rid of stock casing ones. Plenty of cargo space and fold down seats work great. good visability except angles through A pillars and have to rememeber to look around blind spots. lift gate glass with tail gate good.

Better MPG but it is what it is.