Used 2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

One owner comments
By Ssteve Bernstein

I purchased my Jeep Liberty Limited in Dec 2002
It has been a great car now with over 180,000 miles still runs great
I have towed boats for years and driven all over the country
If it only got better gas mileage
Average is 17 city and 19-20 hwy
I would recommend this sub to anyone

Brakes sucks!!!
By Lisa Dunn Ashcraft

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just pit brakes riders and brake calibers on 2 years ago and they need again I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem but it sucks and comes on quick.

I Love this Jeep! Very pleased
By yvonne62

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this Jeep new in 2003 and it's still going strong. I have not had to make any major repairs, just regular maintaince on it as anyone should. Gas mileage could be better, but it's a Jeep SUV. I have never had a problem in any kind of weather, accept in a tornado once that blew the left front fender off. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg to maintain, as foreigns do. I have 138,000 miles on it. I put a great set of tires on it three times, replaced the struts etc, but that's normal for what I do with it. I have been on so many off road trails in Colorado and in the Smokey Mountains that it crazy. I trust my Jeep and it's been really good to me all these years. It's a keeper!

4wd, handling, comfort, size, versatily, does cost a fortune to maintain, my jeep is loaded and I have never had a problem with any of the options. There isn't anything I don't like about this Jeep.

Better gas mileage would be great, but that would be on ant vehicle. I don't like the fact that the ECM module will turn my engine light on when my jeep sits for a couple of weeks without being driven. That's just crazy.

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4!
By 79elcamino

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

i traded my 01 monte carlo for this jeep, i feel like i made the right decision, the jeep only gets abt 4mpg less thn the monte did, wich was around 27. its a nice car with tan and black 2-toned leather interior. i have alot mre passenger room, but the cargo area isnt as big, my jeep has just about every option, im satisfied with my choice to get it, it looks good on the otside, and is fully functional on the inside. the one thing i have to complain about is the window controls, they are in a very akward place. the car handles very well in rain, the only thing i miss about my car is that i dnt have to slow down quite as much to make a turn, in the jeep it almost feel like ill tip over haha!

love the sunroof, and the heated seats!

should have done the eco boost like in the newer liberty's and made a fiberglass cover for the spare tire like on rav4's. also there needs to be cross bars on the roof rack!

Have a 2003 and still like JEEPs
By bzalways

2003 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have owned several Jeeps over the years.
Recently when our 1995 Grand Cherokee was wreaked and the frame bent (brother-in law borrowed it) we decided to upgrade to a used 2003 Liberty Renegade.
My wife loves it and enjoyed driving it everyday for 5 mos. til engine blew.
At 168,000 miles we didn't think twice that the miles were high (The 1995 GC had 204,000 and I have a 1994 GC still using with 242,000 on it!) but we were wrong.
Apparently with the 3.7L "oil sludge" becomes an issue over 100,000.
Something about faulty valves cause premature engine wear.
No recall yet but have seen many incidents of blown heads, head gaskets, and blown motors in very young motors. Beware.

Renegade style gives it a "beefy" look and the light bar is awesome. Feels a little top heavy when turning but didn't rollover when wife slid in ditch from ice, and she slid hard enough to pull both tires off the rims on passenger side!

Some instrument warnings about the oil "sludging up" would have been nice before engine blew. Could have flushed engine and changed oil more frequently. A lower ability for the driver seat. I'm 5'10" and felt like I was driving a golf cart with my head in the ceiling.