2003 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4X4!
By 79elcamino on 04/07/13 03:55 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

i traded my 01 monte carlo for this jeep, i feel like i made the right decision, the jeep only gets abt 4mpg less thn the monte did, wich was around 27. its a nice car with tan and black 2-toned leather interior. i have alot mre passenger room, but the cargo area isnt as big, my jeep has just about every option, im satisfied with my choice to get it, it looks good on the otside, and is fully functional on the inside. the one thing i have to complain about is the window controls, they are in a very akward place. the car handles very well in rain, the only thing i miss about my car is that i dnt have to slow down quite as much to make a turn, in the jeep it almost feel like ill tip over haha!

Have a 2003 and still like JEEPs
By bzalways on 03/11/13 07:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I have owned several Jeeps over the years. Recently when our 1995 Grand Cherokee was wreaked and the frame bent (brother-in law borrowed it) we decided to upgrade to a used 2003 Liberty Renegade. My wife loves it and enjoyed driving it everyday for 5 mos. til engine blew. At 168,000 miles we didn't think twice that the miles were high (The 1995 GC had 204,000 and I have a 1994 GC still using with 242,000 on it!) but we were wrong. Apparently with the 3.7L "oil sludge" becomes an issue over 100,000. Something about faulty valves cause premature engine wear. No recall yet but have seen many incidents of blown heads, head gaskets, and blown motors in very young motors. Beware.

Straight Review
By jeepman18 on 12/06/12 10:29 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Jeep liberty 2003 V6 3.7L 4x4 This is an AMAZING vehicle! Ive read so many bad reviews on this and I have never had any problems with ine AT ALL! I have driven a wide variety of vehicles From Hyndaui accent to a Dodge Ram and this has to be my favortie! All these people ho say they have to replace their brakes every 4000 miles are full of crap! How many times do they slam on their brakes bc they werent paying attention to the car infront of them? Alot Im willing to bet on that.

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7 4x4
By benjeep3 on 08/19/12 09:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this Jeep for over a year and traded up from older jeep Cherokee. replaced tires, battery and switch to AC in dash. Usual maint. costs. The only bad thing is the Gas MPG, but it is an SUV four wheel drive and that is why I got it. Wife has Toyota which gets around 38 MPG so makes up for my Jeep. I did research on this vehicle before I got it with history and previous repairs. Got great deal on it last year. No tow package but can get one installed for around 150.00. Fun to drive in summer and winter. Hate to fill it up but love the reliability and will have it paid of in about another year and a half. Wife drives it too sometimes.

My Experience
By bdarnell on 07/12/12 06:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my Jeep since 2008 with no major issues. I did have the ball joints replaced on the recall. I also had an issue with the locking mechanism on the back hatch. In my opinion this Jeep runs great and is comfortable. I take this vehicle to work daily for a short commute and have also taken it on long trips. I LOVE my jeep!!

Great at first
By htanner on 04/22/12 13:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 03 Jeep Liberty used. It was only a year old and I loved it! I wasn't concerned with gas milage back then so the average 19 mpg highway didn't bother me. Drove great for the first 5 years except the blower motor for the heater went out several times. In the last few years of owning it I started having problems. First my water pump went and then the front drive shaft blew up. I went without a drive shaft for a little while (no 4 wheel drive for me) until winter and then installed a new one. That one lasted 2 uses and then blew up as well. I got one more installed and that one lasted 1 use. I heard that this was a problem in these models. I have since moved on.

2003 Liberty Sport
By khurt1 on 04/04/12 14:52 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Contrary to many of these negative Liberty reviews, I would like to say we love our Jeep. Milage is ~ 12L/100KM city, 9.5L Hwy loaded. It hauls my 19ft. travel trailer very well. Great in snow and ice. Major repairs: front rack and pinion unit @ ~ 120K kms. Mileage is now at ~ 150K kms. Bought vehicle at the end of 2008. No other major repairs.

Repairs needed. Gas guzzler. Rides like a truck.
By steadythunder on 11/23/11 05:53 AM (PST)

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I spent 1,500 dollars on repairs the first week I owned it. It cost me another 400 within the next week. I don't have much confidence in the reliability, since it left me stranded twice in the first month of ownership. It rides very much like a truck, and gets very poor gas mileage. Mine is 4WD, but did not come equipped with a towing package. It is the first 4WD I have owned with no provision for towing. It is very nice looking and the basic body style was the same for several years in a row. Mine could be mistaken for a much newer Liberty.

2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4. V6
By 2003libby on 06/15/11 13:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought this car in Jan. 2011, and I have owned it for 6 months now, I have already put in $800 for repairing. It has 204,000 miles on it but it was 95% highway miles. I guess this is why people leaning toward for foreign vehicles.

Rear window regulators
By Adrienne on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Jeep new. Although I love it overall, the rear window regulators are a pain. Mine have broken 3 times. I finally took off the door cover and propped up the window with a 1x1 stick. I operate on the theory, no one sits back there in my car. My brother has the same model and his broke. My nephew also has a Jeep and his broke. If they are not going to do a recall. they could at least make the part available. They don't. That makes you hostage to the dealer. I can buy the motor, but not the regulator.