Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Disappointed Liberty Owner
By Disappointed

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Mechanical issues from start. Stalled, would not start, transmission slippage, major tire problems with Goodyear tires, very noisy. Dealership consistently denied problems. I now see that my problems are a common occurrence with this vehicle. Finally was able to get a dealership mechanic to admit to me that the 02 year of this vehicle has many issues as it was the first year made. At least that was validation of my problem but does not resolve my problems. By the way, dealership still refuses to acknowledge what mechanic confirmed.

Favorite Features

Size

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical reliability, suspension, noise reduction

Love My Jeep
By Blake

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

What an amazing vehicle this is. I purchased it used from the original owner and have not put a great deal of miles on it (so I have yet to see long term reliability). This is a true SUV with luxury appointments for interior comfort. It motivated a cross country power on the freeway and capable for trip and did not disappoint. Great the off road excursion along the way.

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort and every possible toy I could imagine. Depreciation (yes this is great when buying used) of this model brought a fully loaded version into my budget...

Suggested Improvements

Transmission shift is rough and poor badging quality and both issues were changed in later models. Some interior quality issues.

My first S.U.V.
By Heading down hill

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I initially bought this suv to fix up my credit and wanted to upgrade to an suv. I bought it at 27k+ and was satisfied at first. As I began to drive it more and more it disappointed more and more. The suspension and road noise is unbearable at times, but in its defense I do like it on the highway and I am happy about the power from the 3.7l engine. However road noise can't be drowned out by the pitiful speaker system and the window controls are located in a awkward position. Gas has come down from $4 to under $2 but still feel that it should do better overall. I would Rather buy a highlander or pilot that seats 7-8 and get the same gas mileage plus have the reliability and history that comes.

Favorite Features

Interior design is unique and comfortable. I'm 6,2 and have plenty of leg and head room. Instrument panel is excellent design but keep unlocking doors to roll down window. Nice to look at and be seen in. Inexpensive

Suggested Improvements

components of suspension and brakes seem unreliable and will affect already questionable faith in jeep suvs. side air bags standard

Fun but would not do over again
By margie

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Loved this jeep when I bought it. Live in major snowbelt and does great job in snow. In last year fuel injection blew, back window latch broke, and yesterday transmission died. Time to get rid of the thing. Was fun while it lasted. Customer service is terrible with jeep-their garage did a tire rotation and only tightened lugs to one tire completely. Drove away and then disaster happened. Chrysler headquarters did not want to hear from me on this incident and said it was between me and the dealership. That attitude and lack of concern would deter me from a jeep purchase in the future even if it was a well made product.

Favorite Features

4WD is great, like the compactness and look of it.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are miserable and cheap leather. Transmission died ($2,000)-not under warranty like the newer models. Fuel injection died ($500+). Feels a bit tipsy when driving.

It's decent.
By Gixbusa

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I used to build show cars and trucks but I ended up leaving all that for a stock vehicle. I bought the liberty a few years ago, have not been to happy with it to be honest. all the a/c vents have broken and fallen out, need repair. The light in where the shift column went out and i have to bump the box for it to come on (short in wire). A/c, radiator, window regulators, overhead light, radio wire all needed to be replaced. The driver and passenger seat levers broke off in my hand trying to lean back. I have been trying to sell it for the past 7 months. I have 108k miles on it now and it makes a weird sound when i turn at low speeds.

Favorite Features

looks and interior is nice

Suggested Improvements

well there's a lot of things that should have been re-thought