Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

GREAT VEHICLE
By B

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Liberty for almost 4 years now and I have really enjoyed it. It's been great, I've had no major issues with the vehicle at all. I purchased it used and I have been very pleased, this had been my first used car purchase ever so I was a bit leery at first. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

I love my power, heated leather seats and my power sunroof.

great vehicle
By uglytuna

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this new in 2002. In six years, the only two items that have failed are the A/C compressor ($1100) and a battery. Not bad considering we do quite a bit of off-roading, and tow a 1000 pound pop-up camper. The Liberty is easy to drive, easy to park, looks good, and is great off- road. The mileage is only about 18 around town, but if you want 3 more miles per gallon you should consider one of those cute little "SUVs" that are built on a Toyota Corolla chassis. I've seen those get stuck in a gravel driveway. The Liberty is the real thing off road, but does just as well in a Wal-mart parking lot (more dangerous than the Kalahari, by far).

Small footprint. Unique look. Off road package. Towing package (5000 pounds, 3000 more than Toyota Land Cruiser).

Rear seats don't fold down completely flat. Goodyear tires are stock.

Disappointed Liberty Owner
By Disappointed

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Mechanical issues from start. Stalled, would not start, transmission slippage, major tire problems with Goodyear tires, very noisy. Dealership consistently denied problems. I now see that my problems are a common occurrence with this vehicle. Finally was able to get a dealership mechanic to admit to me that the 02 year of this vehicle has many issues as it was the first year made. At least that was validation of my problem but does not resolve my problems. By the way, dealership still refuses to acknowledge what mechanic confirmed.

Size

Mechanical reliability, suspension, noise reduction

Love My Jeep
By Blake

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

What an amazing vehicle this is. I purchased it used from the original owner and have not put a great deal of miles on it (so I have yet to see long term reliability). This is a true SUV with luxury appointments for interior comfort. It motivated a cross country power on the freeway and capable for trip and did not disappoint. Great the off road excursion along the way.

Styling, comfort and every possible toy I could imagine. Depreciation (yes this is great when buying used) of this model brought a fully loaded version into my budget...

Transmission shift is rough and poor badging quality and both issues were changed in later models. Some interior quality issues.

My first S.U.V.
By Heading down hill

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I initially bought this suv to fix up my credit and wanted to upgrade to an suv. I bought it at 27k+ and was satisfied at first. As I began to drive it more and more it disappointed more and more. The suspension and road noise is unbearable at times, but in its defense I do like it on the highway and I am happy about the power from the 3.7l engine. However road noise can't be drowned out by the pitiful speaker system and the window controls are located in a awkward position. Gas has come down from $4 to under $2 but still feel that it should do better overall. I would Rather buy a highlander or pilot that seats 7-8 and get the same gas mileage plus have the reliability and history that comes.

Interior design is unique and comfortable. I'm 6,2 and have plenty of leg and head room. Instrument panel is excellent design but keep unlocking doors to roll down window. Nice to look at and be seen in. Inexpensive

components of suspension and brakes seem unreliable and will affect already questionable faith in jeep suvs. side air bags standard