2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews 8

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
All but the gas
By Jeepers Creepers on 07/28/06 22:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for good gas mileage, look elsewhere - all other car makers can put their small SUV mileage at an average of 20 MPG. The Liberty is at around 16 MPG. I love the vehicle otherwise; it epitomizes the Jeep philosophy, but the mileage stinks. I have to get rid of it because I am a stay-at-home mom now and can't afford to run around town at $50 per week. It's a shame - again, I love it.

A solid SUV
By Dave in DC on 06/22/06 08:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car is very well made. I have had it for almost 4 years and never had trouble with the car, nor has any of the trim fallen off or failed. I would keep this car a very long time if it weren't for the gas mileage - not so great. I average 12mpg +/- in city driving. That's the only negative to a great small SUV.

Needs Refinement
By afguy on 06/19/06 19:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good vehicle. The engine has a lot of pinging and knocking which cannot be done away with. Steering is very touchy and gas is horrible (15-16 mpg average). It is hard to get non-Mopar accessories to fit the rear hitch due to the spare tire sticking out so far. I also wish I had the color matched flares and bumpers because they are starting to fade. Seats are a little uncomfortable too. I find my lower back gets tight after more than 45 minutes of driving.

Jeep On Top - Daimler Underneath
By Drew on 06/13/06 10:03 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I own a black Liberty Sport 3.7l 4x4 version of the Jeep . It's got real decent power, but isn't going to keep up with,. say a Northstar v-8 Caddy. High range power; needs about 3.5 feet of snow to stop it. Heavy suv - 5600 lbs. Very capable off roading experiences in the mountains. **Perfect little suv if gas goes down.**

A GREAT BUY
By JOAN GLOVER on 04/19/06 08:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This Jeep handles like a Wrangler, a little stiff steering, but other than that, it has fair fuel efficiency, great handling, and great creature comforts.

Liberty Rides again
By Liberty, Limited on 04/18/06 06:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Gas, Gas, Gas. It likes to drink. That is the only negative feature. I have a hard time not turning down every dirt road just to have a reason to go 4-wheeling.

Never Again
By jeep4sale on 04/11/06 16:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not too much to say, other than I'll never buy another Chrysler product again. It only took 102,000 miles and the engine is blown. I was quoted $3,500 to replace it with a junkyard engine with 50k miles on it. I bought a used one with 400 miles on it and had installed by my brother (who is a service tech). My final cost was $1,200. It will be put up for sale immediately before something else goes wrong. The gas mileage is terrible for a six cylinder. I'm lucky if I get 17 mpg on the highway. Never again. I'll be buying imports for the rest of my life.

Love My Liberty
By cdomasco on 04/06/06 11:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty from a private owner in 2003. I have absolutely enjoyed my Jeep and hope it has a long life. Currently, it has 53,000 miles on it. The only major issue I had with my Jeep was that I had to have the entire steering column (rack) replaced because of a loose pin and a leaking seal. The dealership quoted me a price somewhere around $3,000, but fortunately, I had the extended warranty and the cost was covered. Moon roof motor also had to be replaced under warranty. Only complaint that I have is the service I've received at multiple Jeep dealerships.

great city ride
By s1iron on 04/05/06 08:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Very pleased and at 6'3" 250lbs, plenty of room for 4 golfers and clubs Coming up on 4 years and 95,000 miles, went cross country and every day driving exceptional. Fuel economy could be much better but utility, reliability and fun can't be beat. Lived in NYC 2 years with it and so easy to park and maneuver. One set of brakes and change oil religiously. Made a mistake on second set of tires, should have stayed with originals. I would recommend, no worries Just lost A/C compressor other than that has been very reliable. Finally, will purchase and turn over to daughter. had Grand Cherokee and Durango previously.

Good and Bad
By Mikef on 03/29/06 12:23 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck to be used on bad roads every day and through bad New England winters. I am really impressed by how solid and off-road capable it is. It is amazing in off road winter conditions with a good set of AT tires. I don't even bother shoveling the driveway during the winter any more. It has nice power and is very easy to drive and park. Nice interior, good heating/cooling, good price. However, here is the down side: gas mileage is pretty bad, at 10,000 miles the electric window failed, at 30,000 miles the transmission needed to be replaced. I still haven't gotten use to the center mounted window controls. Given the failed transmission, I'm not sure I'd buy another one.