Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Love my Jeep
By mrgee355

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the style of my jeep liberty. i use to have road noise but cured that with less aggressive tires, when i bought it it had new tires but had aggressive thread on the tires i purchased from firestome leamans pathmakers tires and noise went away and still rough enough for off roading,i am 6' 4 lots head room which is what i love about it and plenty of leg room but not side to side i do feel a little cramped sometimes in the seats and the center counsel and door just use to a explorer i guess where i had more side to side room, wish there where lights to shine on the floor and glove box. i have 76,000 miles on this jeep bought with 59,000 lost a power steering pump thats it.

Suggested Improvements

better side to side room even the 2009 did not improve this

Good 4X4
By R.Beauchamp

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great vehicle for me. This vehicle is great for off road and it has enough power to pull a boat. No fast but does very well. Since I bought it I’ve only changed the tires and brakes, the cooling fan ($70.00) and a battery. I have been amazed by the reliability of this Jeep. To be honest I did not expect this from a “Jeep”. The Jeep Grandcherokee is not this reliable. I had one before I bought the Liberty.

Favorite Features

Off Road capability, towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

More HP

i enjoy it
By it's a good vehicle

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Liberty Limited has served me well since I purchased it. Only minor (and mostly normal) issues have arisen in the past 40k miles (+/-). It's got great off road ability and its very fun to drive! My only cons about the Jeep are the gas mileage, interior design, and comfort of the ride for the passengers. Overall, it's a great vehicle for these 122k miles so far!

Favorite Features

Size, 4WD, Off road ability, cargo room

Suggested Improvements

More backseat passenger space, better interior design

GREAT VEHICLE
By B

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Liberty for almost 4 years now and I have really enjoyed it. It's been great, I've had no major issues with the vehicle at all. I purchased it used and I have been very pleased, this had been my first used car purchase ever so I was a bit leery at first. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Favorite Features

I love my power, heated leather seats and my power sunroof.

great vehicle
By uglytuna

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this new in 2002. In six years, the only two items that have failed are the A/C compressor ($1100) and a battery. Not bad considering we do quite a bit of off-roading, and tow a 1000 pound pop-up camper. The Liberty is easy to drive, easy to park, looks good, and is great off- road. The mileage is only about 18 around town, but if you want 3 more miles per gallon you should consider one of those cute little "SUVs" that are built on a Toyota Corolla chassis. I've seen those get stuck in a gravel driveway. The Liberty is the real thing off road, but does just as well in a Wal-mart parking lot (more dangerous than the Kalahari, by far).

Favorite Features

Small footprint. Unique look. Off road package. Towing package (5000 pounds, 3000 more than Toyota Land Cruiser).

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats don't fold down completely flat. Goodyear tires are stock.