2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Good Car
By so far so good on 05/11/07 14:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

76000 miles on a 4 cylinder and it's still doing well. Almost paid off, and no problems, except for a leaky windshield that the dealer tried to fix 4 times, but the leak is minor, and I gave up.

Not too Shabby
By Lisa C on 04/02/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this Liberty as a 2nd car. I am a teenager. Although the body isn't my ideal style I must say that as a young driver I do beat on the truck pretty bad. The Jeep holds up great. I brought it to Jeep and it had no recomendations. I have only had one problem with it and that is the blower motor, cost about $25 to fix. This truck holds up to my friends and I and is a fun little car. It's great in all weather and is very safe. The compact size makes it easy to drive and its built tough. Good work Jeep!

Stick with Jeep
By Scott on 12/31/06 11:12 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my black 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited only about 6 months ago. The SUV had around 78,000 miles on it, which worried me a bit. I'm now up to 86,000 miles and haven't had a problem! I absolutely love this truck, especially in the snow!

Jeep Liberty a real lemon
By premiepower on 11/10/06 10:46 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Liberty is 4 years old. We have had nothing but problems. No A/C since July, a condenser problem. Rear differential seal leak, transfer case leak, window regulator went bad, tail light filled up with water and shorted out the electrical system, 2 ball joint recall notices. And the gas mileage? On a good day, 18mpg. NEVER AGAIN. I'm going for Kia or Hyundai next vehicle. My 12 year old Honda Civic with 125,000 is a more reliable vehicle.

Love my Jeep!
By Penny on 10/05/06 14:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Jeep Liberty! No problems to date with 63,000 miles. Very reliable, rides great, although a tad bit rough (it IS a Jeep!). Lots of space and head/leg room (I'm 6'0 tall). Only drawback as far as cargo room is that it's not as long as other SUVs. Wouldn't trade it!

Jeep peep
By Tliberty on 10/04/06 08:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Jeep vehicle and I have only good things to say about them. The dealerships however are another issue. All of my experiences with Jeeps have been good and I highly recommend them.

Scary to drive
By Matthew on 09/16/06 21:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking vehicle that makes me nervous to drive on paved roads. The brakes and suspension are not well tuned to street driving. No confidence whatsoever in maneuvering this truck in urban or freeway driving. Brakes take forever to slow it down, and in the event that you need to avoid an obstacle you're better off plowing into it rather than trying to turn. I drove a Cherokee previously, and the big difference seems to be the added weight of the Liberty. The weak 3.7 V6 moves this boat slower than a 10 year old Civic. Not recommended for people that enjoy driving. Look for a used RX300 instead.

Never again
By jules24 on 08/28/06 13:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Liberty is a very handsome vehicle, but they can be handsome all day long and it won't help you much if they are in the shop with something wrong, like tail lights that fill up with water, differential seal leaks, ball joint problems, A/C problems, windows that fail to go up and down all at the tender age of 4. And gas mileage that really stinks. Come on Jeep, you can do better than this.

Fun & Reliable Liberty
By Trafdlo on 07/29/06 10:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the retro Liberty style and bought it in spite of my fears about Jeep's "not so good" reliability record. I have been pleasantly surprised. The interior and exterior designs are unique and done exceptionally well. I've owned sports cars mostly so comfort and handling is exactly where I want it. Reliability has been the real surprise. I've replace the ignition key cylinder and that's been the only issue; really minor based on what other vehicles have. I have been completely satisfied and will probably purchase another one next year.

All but the gas
By Jeepers Creepers on 07/28/06 22:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

If you're looking for good gas mileage, look elsewhere - all other car makers can put their small SUV mileage at an average of 20 MPG. The Liberty is at around 16 MPG. I love the vehicle otherwise; it epitomizes the Jeep philosophy, but the mileage stinks. I have to get rid of it because I am a stay-at-home mom now and can't afford to run around town at $50 per week. It's a shame - again, I love it.