2002 Jeep Liberty Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Liberty Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Sort Reviews by

Started Great But Getting Expensive
By sw

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love just about everything about this SUV, which is why I'm so disappointed that it's starting to cost me a lot of money in repairs after only 4 years. I have put more than $3000 into this vehicle in both maintenance and repairs in just the last 12 months. The little plastic piece that covers the gear shift broke in the cold this winter (over $300 to fix), the AC doesn't work and needs to have the compressor replaced ($1000 to fix). I am trying to decide whether I should trade it in for a 2007 model just to stop the budget bleeding even though I have a year left of payments on it, or trade it in for an Xterra instead. The biggest factor in my decision will be the (un)reliability aspect.

Favorite Features

A blast to drive, pulls my small horse trailer like a champ (hauls up to 5000 lbs with the tow package), nice styling, great road handling.

Suggested Improvements

Move the confusing power window switches off the center console. (I've had my vehicle for 4 years and I still can't figure them out!) Have parts that don't need to be completely replaced when one small thing goes bad. Increase the gas mileage. More comfortable front seats.

Good Car
By so far so good

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

76000 miles on a 4 cylinder and it's still doing well. Almost paid off, and no problems, except for a leaky windshield that the dealer tried to fix 4 times, but the leak is minor, and I gave up.

Favorite Features

Good stickshift, easy to drive. Comfortable seats.

Not too Shabby
By Lisa C

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this Liberty as a 2nd car. I am a teenager. Although the body isn't my ideal style I must say that as a young driver I do beat on the truck pretty bad. The Jeep holds up great. I brought it to Jeep and it had no recomendations. I have only had one problem with it and that is the blower motor, cost about $25 to fix. This truck holds up to my friends and I and is a fun little car. It's great in all weather and is very safe. The compact size makes it easy to drive and its built tough. Good work Jeep!

Stick with Jeep
By Scott

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my black 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited only about 6 months ago. The SUV had around 78,000 miles on it, which worried me a bit. I'm now up to 86,000 miles and haven't had a problem! I absolutely love this truck, especially in the snow!

Favorite Features

Design, comfort, 4X4 abilities, rear hatch (especially keyless entry to lift the window), and the nice list of standard features.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage should be improved, lighting and air conditioning for the rear seats. Not too many complaints.

Jeep Liberty a real lemon
By premiepower

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Liberty is 4 years old. We have had nothing but problems. No A/C since July, a condenser problem. Rear differential seal leak, transfer case leak, window regulator went bad, tail light filled up with water and shorted out the electrical system, 2 ball joint recall notices. And the gas mileage? On a good day, 18mpg. NEVER AGAIN. I'm going for Kia or Hyundai next vehicle. My 12 year old Honda Civic with 125,000 is a more reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Looks.

Suggested Improvements

More reliable parts to start with.

Love my Jeep!
By Penny

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Jeep Liberty! No problems to date with 63,000 miles. Very reliable, rides great, although a tad bit rough (it IS a Jeep!). Lots of space and head/leg room (I'm 6'0 tall). Only drawback as far as cargo room is that it's not as long as other SUVs. Wouldn't trade it!

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel; power moonroof; keyless entry and pop up back window; front headlights design.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything. Love it.

Jeep peep
By Tliberty

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 3rd Jeep vehicle and I have only good things to say about them. The dealerships however are another issue. All of my experiences with Jeeps have been good and I highly recommend them.

Favorite Features

Electric heated seats, 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger front differential, better designed upper "A" arms for lifts.

Scary to drive
By Matthew

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Good looking vehicle that makes me nervous to drive on paved roads. The brakes and suspension are not well tuned to street driving. No confidence whatsoever in maneuvering this truck in urban or freeway driving. Brakes take forever to slow it down, and in the event that you need to avoid an obstacle you're better off plowing into it rather than trying to turn. I drove a Cherokee previously, and the big difference seems to be the added weight of the Liberty. The weak 3.7 V6 moves this boat slower than a 10 year old Civic. Not recommended for people that enjoy driving. Look for a used RX300 instead.

Favorite Features

Rugged and clean exterior. Attractive interior accents.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension and brakes. Absolutely scary to drive. Engine is loud and barely able to push the 4100 lb curb weight. Gas mileage is worse than a Corvette.

Never again
By jules24

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Liberty is a very handsome vehicle, but they can be handsome all day long and it won't help you much if they are in the shop with something wrong, like tail lights that fill up with water, differential seal leaks, ball joint problems, A/C problems, windows that fail to go up and down all at the tender age of 4. And gas mileage that really stinks. Come on Jeep, you can do better than this.

Favorite Features

It really is a the best looking small SUV out there. I love the looks of them.

Suggested Improvements

Better working parts. I've had many, many mechanics tell me now that Jeeps are notorious for bad A/C, bad transmissions, and bad gas mileage. Why is that?

Fun & Reliable Liberty
By Trafdlo

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the retro Liberty style and bought it in spite of my fears about Jeep's "not so good" reliability record. I have been pleasantly surprised. The interior and exterior designs are unique and done exceptionally well. I've owned sports cars mostly so comfort and handling is exactly where I want it. Reliability has been the real surprise. I've replace the ignition key cylinder and that's been the only issue; really minor based on what other vehicles have. I have been completely satisfied and will probably purchase another one next year.

Favorite Features

Style.