2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews 6

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
'02 Liberty
By Tim on 06/15/08 11:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have 112,000 mils on this manual tranny & have enjoyed all but two when the timing belt broke & the belt tensioner broke. I suggest replacing the original tires as the Wranglers are awful. Mileage averages 23 mpg, much better than the 6 cyl. I will buy another one, perhaps a diesel.

A Sure Footed Lemmon
By RobertNevada on 05/29/08 16:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Hmm, let's see, replaced the body control module, $600; three power windows, $400 each, power steering pump $450, rear wiper $400, engine (should have never done it) $5,000. When they told me it would be $2,500 for a new catalytic converter, I bought an 2008 Civic. Priceless. I loved the idea of my Liberty -- hated the reality.

No problems except gas
By Lorraine Haluga on 04/25/08 06:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never had any problems with parts or performance. Only thing replaced was tires after 6 years! Biggest problem was silver paint chipped off of tire rims. Never saw this on any other Liberty! Great in the snow, no worries. Seats fold down for large purchases. Love this car except for the gas hike!!!

Best SUV to own
By Joseph on 02/04/08 12:32 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Jeep Liberty is a wonderful SUV to dirve. Have not had to do anything but routine maintenance. Have had no trouble with the vehicle at all. I ready to buy another so my lucky son will have his mountain goat to get him to the slopes.

Disapointed
By Dissapointed on 01/12/08 01:26 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I put very few miles on this car every year. In the time I've owned it I've had to replace the brake rotors twice, driver's side front wheel hub, once and the the ball joints were replaced by the dealer (Recall)the fuel mileage is @ 14.5 miles/gal needs improvement. I'll never buy another Jeep again, Chrysler products are questionable as to whether or not I will buy anymore, and that comes from a guy who has sworn by Chrysler products for alot of years. As for the Milford Ct dealer that sold me the car- they will never see another dime of my money.

Look out at 75,000
By Brad on 10/17/07 15:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This was the best vehicle we ever owned until we hit 75,000. AC compressor, transmission replacement (ouch)...new radiator. It is amazing how the truck knew the final payment had been made. If you are under 70,000 consider a change fast

Jeep Liberty-The Real Story
By J.ATL on 09/04/07 11:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty brand new in 2002. Only has 37,500 miles to date. First major issue to report-- A/C compressor totally choked this summer--2 weeks in the shop, Compressor reported on "National Backorder". Quote to fix $1050 dollars. Chrysler will not help-- noting Jeep is out of warranty. Note-- only 1500 miles out of warranty when the A/C breaks. Despite 4-5 recalls to date, brakes needing readjusted, dead battery replaced, A/C Compressor breakdown and a slighly leaky sunroof-- I still like my Jeep. Chrysler should be happy--they have not done so great on this model.

My wife's Jeep Liberty LTD ia a lemon
By nitlion on 09/02/07 14:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife loved this Jeep from the beginning, every year her love has lessened to the point now where she would give it away. Numerious problems, most not covered under manufacturers warranties. We've "sunk" several thousands of dollars into this beast. Gas mileage is worse than a RR!

02 Jeep Liberty Sport 4wd
By David Pound on 08/03/07 00:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A very strong and well-built vehicle. Rides nicely and can go off-road easily. Very useful in winter here where we have snow. No problems except ball joint recall.

The SUV that sucks gas but keeps on goin
By Jeep Liberty LE on 07/23/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Jeep Liberty is a great family vehicle - we can pull our camper or boat - a pig on gas but at 2200000 km it has given NO PROBLEMS - except a few recalls we never received because of resales - balljoint.... I know hear a loud "ping" sound when the Jeep idles after driving... anyone heard this before....