2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews 5

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Jeep Engine Failures due to Valve Seats
By David K on 10/28/08 15:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

major problem with the valve seat coming off and damaging my Jeep Liberty engine. We purchased the car new and have continually provided maintenance on the vehicle at your dealerships. What is upsetting is the lack of interest now from your customer relations department except for your local dealership who has been supportive, on what has occurred. This is a safety issue and this problem is a manufacturer defect . This incident could have caused my daughter to have an accident since she was driving this car as a high school senior. I will take

not happy
By not happy on 09/11/08 09:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My ac has also gone in my jeep. I have replaced the speed sensor 2 times. I got into an accident last march and I barely slid and then tried to steer into the correct line and lost control and man can i tell you the jeep can roll. It is not a good vehicle to have!

Love my Liberty!!
By Adrienne on 08/31/08 06:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty brand new in 2002. It has been on two cross-country trips, one of them being a Jeep Jamboree off-roading event. I was the only Liberty out of 125 vehicles! My Liberty handled it all! I've replaced the battery, replaced the serpentine belt, and had a problem with the AC/heat fan. Other than that, it's only been routine maintenance. The mileage isn't the best, but I don't care. It's great in the winter, especially when I head up to Wisconsin in the snow. It's got the comfort of an auto, but with the feel of a truck. I did get truck tires for my Liberty and I'm very happy with that purchase. I will NEVER go back to a car!

Jeep lover
By m on 08/27/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My first Jeep, love the look, the interior was comfortable, gas mileage average. Tight steering, needs a little more hp in certain situations. Never had more compliments on a car before, in particular the color, salsa red, hot! Drawbacks, 2 big ones, the engine blew at 40,000 miles, never off road with it, oil changed every 3000. Good thing for the warranty, the bill was almost $9000. But the craziest thing about this car, is the battery, I have had 10 or more batteries since I bought it. Every time I take it in for service, they say its normal! Batteries last 12 to 18 months, that's a new one on me. Overall, I'm buying a new Jeep, with the skyslider roof!

Great car
By JON on 08/15/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been great since i bought it. I am the second owner of this used car and i love it. it has held up well considering the mileage i have put on it. although the gas mileage isn't great, (i get about 20 mpg) it is decent. this car is definitely worth your money.

Tough Love
By J.G. on 08/06/08 07:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this Jeep for about 6 years and it has been fun. The only trouble that I have had is replacing the cam shaft sensor and O2 sensor ($78 max). I suggest getting a new intake system, the stock intake is heavy (15 lbs) and bulky. Also, to make life easier for the people who cry about fuel, just replace the fuel pump with a performance pump ($330) in order for you to be able to get what you want. I now get 27 mpg/19 mpg, and yes, thats on the 3.7 6cyl 4wd model.

Solid Ride
By Scorphitman on 08/04/08 15:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 4 wheel drive vehicles for 30 years. This is this second Jeep I've owned. I have 163,000 miles on it and no major issues with the vehicle. It has handled Rocky Mountain winters like a champ. I live at 8400' and have drive this vehicle in 18" of snow over dirt roads with no problems. Overall average fuel mileage is 18 mpg with the 3.7 L. I've gotten 26 mpg on the highway. I put a 2.5" lift kit on it to run bigger 245/75/16 snow tires. Driver room is good as I am 6'3" 255 lb former college linebacker and am comfortable behind the wheel.

Great invention from Jeep
By zachary on 07/18/08 12:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The Jeep liberty is really nice. I bought it for the off roading features but it can hardly handle anything. I buried mine on a two track in maybe a half foot of water. The four wheel drive shaft is not very strong. I think Jeep came out with this vehicle so everyone can own a Jeep. I love this vehicle cause of two main reasons 1. Easy to drive 2. Very reliable. The four wheel drive got me out of countless puddles. I do not suggest this vehicle for off roading though.

How quickly can you get rid of a Jeep?
By Brunette on 06/21/08 18:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I loved my Jeep up until about 6 months ago. It is the cutest small SUV out there and when I first saw it I just had to have it. Then about a couple of months ago a lot of things started going wrong. Taillight (although not a big deal), then the catalytic converter, then the window regulator in the rear passenger window broke, and finally the icing to the cake, the AC is now broken at the beginning of a hot summer. I've also had the battery replaced because it became corroded. My outlets and rear wiper started not working and it revs for odd reasons that they "can't figure out". Total gas guzzler as well. I'm trying to get rid of this thing fast, but no one is biting for the obvious reasons.

155,000
By Alicia on 06/16/08 09:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep Liberty but I too have been without air going on 3 years now. For me it also would take over $1000.00 to fix and since it cost nothing to roll my windows down, I have not replaced the air. Other than that, I have had NO PROBLEMS at all and love my little jeep! So all of you with less than 100,000 don't worry at all you still have plenty more to go! I bought my Jeep brand new in fall of 01 when they just released the 02's for sale and I am not very good about oil changes and drive hard all the time and still no worries.