Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Jeep Liberty
By zeppelinprncss04

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Liberty was purchased with 77000 miles on it and I am about 200 miles short of 100000 and its still running as well as it was the day I bought it. It has plenty of power and as a college student, I have plenty of cargo room to take stuff back and forth. It goes great in the snow/ice and in the mud! I love my liberty so much!

Aggressive styling (meatier than other jeeps...its taller and wider). I love my heated seats and power sunroof!!

Better gas mileage!!!!! Its rated 17/21 for the limited, but I only average 13/16.

Reliable and high mileage best car ever
By LovemyJeep

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Liberty in 2007 and it has been the best car I have ever owned. When I bought the Jeep it had 100K on it but I was on a limited budget and purchased an extended warranty. I never even had to use the warranty. I have not had 1 problem with this car! I have put over 40k on my Jeep and it is still more reliable than any car I've ever owned. I wouldn't be scared to drive this car anywhere I had to go on the spur of the moment. If you're nervous of how many miles a Liberty can get on it- I am at 143k and still going strong!!!

The 4wd is a lot of fun and it feels like a very safe ride. I actually did have a small fender bender which caused the other car $2500 in damage and my Jeep didn't even get a scratch on it!

The gas mileage could use a little bit improvement and I also do not like the cloth on my seats- they stain when even water gets on them. I have shampooed them and the gray still seems dark. Aside from that this Jeep is perfect. I will definitely be buying another!!!

Built to be Reliable
By tgflash

2002 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Jeep Liberty in 2002 and have placed at least 110 miles on at least 4 days a week ever since. It's been a very reliable vehicle and seems to be built for longevity. I have approx. 144,000 miles on it now and hope to take it all the way to 200,000. It's well maintained, which I think makes all the difference with any vehicle. it's not a luxury vehicle by any means, but it's good for everyday driving. Not the greatest on gas!

sunroof, cd player, 4WD

needs better mileage, more room in cargo area, and back seats that fold flat

Amazing vehicle
By Anthony D

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this vehicle since August of 2003 and can only say it's INCREDIBLE. I've only had minor problems with it, a couple sensors that cost me about $35 each ( using my own CODE reader I got on ebay for $10 and finding the problem myself ) and installed in myself minutes. Fan belt started going at 19000, replaced free. Replaced muffler and front brakes so far at 100,000 and did ALL maintenance at the proper time. Doing this has kept it MINT, engine is almost new looking also as very little dirt gets in there. Since I installed a Hydrogen system ( 3 month process ) I'm getting about 5mpg better than before so no reason to get a smaller vehicle for Gas' sake. LOVE IT.

LTD version is a luxurious ride AND yet will get me places no car can go.

Wish styling went less "boxy" for new versions otherwise I'd upgrade.

I like it
By JimOH123

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have a BMW with performance tires, so I needed a vehicle to drive in the winter. Purchased this car with about 85k miles on the odometer. I love my Jeep and drive it more than the BMW. Love the driving position, looks and its maneuverability. Very few service complaints. I have never owned a vehicle with so many miles, yet it is still very tight and rattle free. Would consider buying another Liberty like this one with fewer miles if this one ever starts giving me trouble. A great value for a used vehicle.

short turning radius driving position great looks interior and exterior good sounds system great winter traction

gas mileage automatic should have more gears rear seats should fold flat