Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

ChiliRific Jeep!!
By chili 4x4

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this truck for ICS chili cookoff trips. I added a Wilderness rack by Garvin, (Rocky Road Outfitters) to add more room. I love the on road (55100 miles) and the off road capabilities of this truck. The full- frame/unibody construction makes it tight and strong, yet it can flex better than ANY SUV in its class. The future of my Liberty is bright. There will be an ARB bull bar bumper and winch added for sure. Maybe a Rocky Road OTT 2.5" suspension Lift and some real tires (see below). Anyway, we will be keeping this Jeep for many many years! BTW... I get 20mpg fully loaded, with a Wilderness rack on the roof, when I am on the highway.

It's a real rugged off road capable JEEP. The Select track transfer case is excellent. The "oddly cute" styling is great. While not a sports car, it will put many gt cars to shame on twisty roads; I've done it many times.

Increase ride height so bigger tires 245/75-16 would have been perfect! can be fitted. Maybe introduce a "Rubicon" version of the Liberty to sit beside the Rubicon Wrangler!!

My review
By A$

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Good car, but the brakes are not as responsive as my former car (Altima- anti-lock brakes). The ride is a little too bumpy for my taste. Any little bump, and your shifted around in your seat. Not meant for around-town driving that I do.

Lots of cup holders; good AC; Dealership was extremely friendly (Superior in Anniston, AL.). I like how the back window can pop open and the hooks on the backseat to attach items. Good for a bumpy-riding car; very nice detail.

Make the drive more smooth. Improve the braker system.

Jeep Liberty
By Eddy B.

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I had recently purchased a home that required a lot of work. Also, our lifestyle is one of skiing, hiking, biking riding, etc. At the time, we owned two sedans (BMW 3 series & Camry). We dumped the Camry and purchased the Jeep Liberty with hopes that the Liberty would hold all the stuff we were to buy at Home Depot for the house and our gear as we headed out for adventure. It has fufilled these requirements and them some. We truly enjoy the ride, power of the 6 cyclinder and all the other features.

Heated, power, leather seats Sunroof 4 wheel/AWD system

Better gas mileage would be a dream come true. I average 18 miles/gallon, with most of my driving city. Mid 20's would make the vehicle more pallable.

It's really a great JEEP!
By Tim K

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

With the exception of recalls, that Jeep/Chrysler is taking care of, I love my Jeep Liberty. It is great in the mud and Snow in Northern NY and comfortable to drive to FL also!

Smooth Auto Tranny, Tight Steering, Responsive handeling.

Just keep working the little bugs out!

50k miles and going strong
By ashe

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car when they first came out despite being hesitant about buying a new model. I have had it for over 2 years, putting 50k miles on it already and it still looks like new, drives like new, and I LOVE IT! People complain about the fuel economy, but I drive in heavy city traffic commuting every day and still get over 18 mpg -- certainly not great mileage, but pretty good for an suv, small or otherwise. I can honestly say that there is not another suv out there I would take in its place, whether small, big, luxury or economical.

Style and comfort -- the Liberty is simply fun! (Note: More comfortable for women/people under 5' 8" or so -- men often look a little cramped in the front passenger seat.)

A glove box that actually holds something! Modified back seats that will actually lay flat when lowered.

• SUV