Used 2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

great truck
By fdcboys22

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

love it , lacks a little engine power everything else is solid

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

more engine power

Not too Shabby
By Lisa C

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this Liberty as a 2nd car. I am a teenager. Although the body isn't my ideal style I must say that as a young driver I do beat on the truck pretty bad. The Jeep holds up great. I brought it to Jeep and it had no recomendations. I have only had one problem with it and that is the blower motor, cost about $25 to fix. This truck holds up to my friends and I and is a fun little car. It's great in all weather and is very safe. The compact size makes it easy to drive and its built tough. Good work Jeep!

Love my Jeep
By mrgee355

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love the style of my jeep liberty. i use to have road noise but cured that with less aggressive tires, when i bought it it had new tires but had aggressive thread on the tires i purchased from firestome leamans pathmakers tires and noise went away and still rough enough for off roading,i am 6' 4 lots head room which is what i love about it and plenty of leg room but not side to side i do feel a little cramped sometimes in the seats and the center counsel and door just use to a explorer i guess where i had more side to side room, wish there where lights to shine on the floor and glove box. i have 76,000 miles on this jeep bought with 59,000 lost a power steering pump thats it.

Suggested Improvements

better side to side room even the 2009 did not improve this

engine light
By oma31093

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Jeep liberty as a pre owned car. Older lady drove it. So far we had no major problem except the engine light stays on. Took it to auto parts store did test and it said fuel cap. replaced that 3 times. Nothing. took it to dealer same result,they checked the car and found nothing told me fuel cap again. Bought another cap from them and light is still on. At 114000 miles it seems to start taken more and more gas..wet roads are also not a good thing. other then that I like to drive it and its been a good car so far

Favorite Features

Room

Suggested Improvements

fixing problem on wet road performance and the engine light issue

She saved my life...
By derbygrl

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

And now I only hope to replace my Liberty. No joke, I had a run-in with a semi and lost on a night in ND where the winds and rain were blowing over 50 mph. I bounced off of the underside of the trailer, totaled my Jeep, and did not even have a scratch. (Oh, by the way, the engine is perfectly fine!) While test driving other cars, trucks, and SUVs, I have not been able to find anything that has that snap and power I am looking for. I did my research here on Edmunds and other sites, and made sure all the ancient recall work was done before I bought it with 100,000 miles. I never had a problem! Sure it is thirsty at the pump, but I put it in my budget and dealt. I miss my Jeep!

Favorite Features

I love love love the 4x4. I kicked winter's butt. The handling was just fantastic, right where I wanted it. Best heater in the world!

Suggested Improvements

It seems these older models are built better. Can I suggest they add that quality back in to the new ones?