2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
Best Jeep Ever!
By Jacques on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

As a former owner of a Grand Charokee, I was drawn to the new Jeep Liberty. So I bought one and love it! It's the best car I've ever owned. It's a blast to drive, it's got great pick-up-and-go, and it handles like a dream. It's rugged and comfortable. And best of all... it's AFFORDABLE!

Jeep Libert, One Tough Mother of a SUV
By Optimus Prime on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just recently purchased my Jeep Liberty and I look forward everyday to driving it. It is as much fun on road as it is off. I recommend buying only 4x4 though. Why buy a 4x2 Jeep? That's like a three legged horse. Anyways, the 4cyl has plenty of power at 150hp. The only trick is to shift at 3000rpm or higher. Overall, I am ecstatic about owning my Jeep Liberty. Much better than my old truck. I almost forgot. The stereo system was suprisingly great. I don't need to add anything except a CD changer.

A Real Combination of SUV/Car Like Feel
By JVG on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great looks, comfort, fun to drive. I test drove several mini-SUV's and this was the best one on the market, with the exception of gas mileage. The Liberty handles well and glides down the rode. The interior styling is innovative and unique with the two tone color, white instrument panel and chrome accents. Adequate storage with the exception of sun glass holder. The overhead console is nice, but outside temperature reading is 5 degrees high all the time. On my old Grand Cherokee it was always accurate.

It hit a solid double
By Skipnatl on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My second new Jeep, I've been a little peeved about the little quirks. The air/heat fan is too noisy and there are rattles in the dash. I love the performance of the vehicle, and the gas mileage hasn't been horrible. It's very comfortable for me and three friends to ride around. If it weren't for the noises, I would say this is by far the best value for the money. Now, I'm not so sure.

1st Month
By woody27 on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving Jeeps for the last 8 years and have never had a bad exoerience with any of them. This is my first small size Jeep and so far all is well. The liberty really handles differnet from the Grands I've driving in that the wheel gives you strong response to any movement. This is something I had to adjust to.

Terribly Disappointing...Major Problems!
By atay71 on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

At 3,900 miles the transmission failed due to rusted-out connctions, transmission fluid leaked, and acceleration was horrible. Next... at 8,000 miles, the transmission failed again...same problem, same symptoms, same solution...spent four days at the shop. Next - 13,000 miles and the same problem, plus it wouldn't accelerate over 60 MPH without high engine revs and a burning smell. The car also lurched forward violently whenever shifted into drive. It also buzzed and moved forward slowly when put into neutral! When shifted, the transmission sounded like stones in a blender. My Liberty looks great, but is plagued with problems.

Our new car....
By JAL on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great Car! After looking and looking we checked out the Liberty and were impressed. Great styling inside and out and functional too. We tried it out 2 days ago (3/18/2002) in one of our annual Northeast Ohio Spring snowstorms and were even more impressed. About 5 inches of snow over ice and the Liberty actually put you back in your seat a bit with some moderate accelleration.. Our 1st 4WD but it really impressed me!!! Same outing, nailing the ABS brakes and we stopped straight and true. Bottom line We love it!!! (Gas mileage seems to be of concern to some other reviewers however Im not to worried... If I wanted good gas mileage I would not have been looking at a SUV)

The Liberty Lives Up to it's Jeep Brand
By moonwalker on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my Jeep Liberty LE since June of last year. And i have loved it ever since. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I was in an accident once; i was on a 'go stright or turn right' lane and there was this other car on the 'turn right only lane'... this guy went straight through as I turned right.. then there was a collision. I got out of my jeep and looked at his car, there wre HUGE dentations that ran accross his car (I believe it was a Honda). Then I looked at my jeep. At first glance, it seemed that there was NO damage at all. But on a closer look, there were a few measly scratches that none of my family could even notice. Now thats what i call strong.

This car is SMOOTH
By Dooie on 03/24/02 03:53 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great when it comes to climbing hills and taking bumps! It drives so smoothly! I was completely taken away when I test drove this car and I love it! The only MAJOR problem I have with it is it SUCKS GAS!!!! That's all though, everything else is awesome!

Jeepers-Creepers Wher'd ya get that car?
By Aceswild on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 2WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For Liberty,Justice & for All (well,at least most!)I get compliments almost everyday!Still room for improvement,on MPG,but this SUV has good Pick-Up&Go! It puts me higher than most SUV's incl. Cherokee,(which I also own)&has some nice standard features.Getting use to the window controls in the middle console,is the hardest feature to overcome,but makes it great for driver/front psngr. As a former Rav4 owner, Liberty gives you much more interior & leg room,it also has more Grip to the Road.I always think there is room for improvement in Any new vehicle,but am extemly happy with the performance this vehicle has shown mus thus far. I give it a "10" for the fun it brings driving!