Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Get a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan
By pokefan

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Have less than 19,000 miles on this jeep and it just got towed to the dealership again. First at 13,000 the waterpump went out and the serpentine belt broke while going 70 on a 2 lane road. Very Scary. Then at 18,000 the heat went out, took it in a got some recall item fixed at the same time. Diamler-Chrysler sucks. Maybe I am spoiled by Hondas. Had 3 w/ 250,000+ miles w/ 0 problems. Last Jeep I ever buy. Let you know my recent prob. later.

Favorite Features

6 speaker infinity. Controls on back of wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Quality control. Build Quality. More room. Not much up front. If you are over 5'8" you will be cramped.

I still like it, but ...
By ducque

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After 33000 miles, the Liberty is still easy to like. However, it has been in the shop far too many times. And it still has a small engine running problem that no one seems to be willing or able to fix, even after repeated attempts. Equipped with UNSAFE, terrible tires from the factory. I love to drive it. It's just the right size and has the right features for me. BUT!

Favorite Features

Styling. Interior. Good power. Seems well made and solid. "Feels" dependable. Like the flip glass and the rear gate. Effective 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Far too many problems to repair!!! Very poor tires -- unsafe -- from factory.

Fantastic Vehicle
By Christopher Flood

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I owned and 1990 Cherokee with 150k miles on it when I bought my Green V6 4WD Automatic Jeep Liberty Sport in May 2002, and what an upgrade it is! I have had no issues with the vehicle whatsover. Steers simply and more carlike than many competitors, and handling is very straightforward. It is super sure footed in the winter, and a breeze to drive on and off-road in the spring, summer, and fall. The front seats are comfortable enough to drive between New York City and Columbus Ohio without much discomfort. It is great to tool around town, and it has safely taken me through feet of snow in the mountains of West Virginia.

Favorite Features

The V6 provides good pep when accellerating. Factory sound system really is quite solid. Styling is smooth and sophisticatedly simple.

Suggested Improvements

Rubber mats standard of carpet. Install ABS instead of standard brakes. Can be a thrill sometimes when really stopping hard in traffic.

Extremely Capable
By Troy209

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is solid from inside to out. I have had no problems with my Jeep during the 37,000 I've driven it. It performs very well on road, a smoother ride than a Jeep Wrangler but not as smooth as the Jeep Cherokee. Off road, it is a Jeep and obviously gets the job done. The Liberty has a tow rating of 5,000 pounds and in the few times I've towed a packed 8 ft. U- Haul trailer it has performed well. The inside of the Liberty is roomy and the contols are very well layed out. The seats are not as cushioned as I would like, but the overall look and feel of the interior makes up for it.

Favorite Features

Rugged, tough, yet refined. I enjoy the fact that the Liberty is not as small and carlike as it's competitors. I am also impressed with the design of the interior including the circular motif.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest trimming off some weight from the vehicle. This Jeep is adequately powered with a 3.7L 226 hp V6 but the vehicle's weight is hard on braking and cornering.

Nice truck - if quality of build was bet
By libertyuser

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

So far, my car had the following failures: replaced front left strut tower (when was brand new), replaced radio, replaced rear differential housing, replaced fuel pump, 4-5 recalls. This car has only 40,000 miles, and most of the fixes done when it was new. I have never encountered such low build quality. Vehicle design is strudy, but mechanical parts start failing one after the other. I am about to sell this car, and get myself a nice Toyota pickup. Just tired of visiting the Jeep dealership...

Favorite Features

Low end power and torque, sturdy design.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability and quality, better auto trans, soften ride or improve body roll, BRAKES - make this car stop BETTER!!!