Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

I love my Liberty-just not the color
By amy foxx

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Liberty is white and I wished I could have a red one. Other than that I do not have much to complain about, except the mileage is horrifying. It gets terrible gas mileage.

I like the outside look of my Liberty. It is fun to drive on long trips and around town.

The gas mileage needs improvement, the location of the seat warmer and the rear seats need to fold down.

Love It!!!!!!
By JoJo'sJeep

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little Liberty! I have had it for 2 and 1/2 years and it has only been in the shop for routine oil changes and the recall for ball joint. No problems with heating, cooling or anything. I totally enjoy this vehicle. It could have a little more trunk space but then it wouldn't be the sporty little SUV that it is. I do have to say that I really dislike Daimler Chrysler for the customer no-service. The ball joint recall letter never arrived and the telephone folks are abysmal. Probably would think long and hard before I buy another one of their products. But I do love my Liberty and hopefully will continue too.

Heated seats, round dashboard/interior designs, cool brushed metal look, radio controls on steering wheel

gas mileage could be better but its not terrible. Especially now that gas is $2 a gallon and more.

Breaking terrible but otherwise nice
By Maren

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with this little SUV except with the breaks. I had to get my rotors smoothed the first year and I have slid/had brakes lock at least 3 TIMES in wet weather. Never had an accident in my life but the lack of ABS and the weight of this car make it dangerous. I have hit both the left and right front tires on curbs causing hundreds of dollars of repairs and once slid right into an intersection. The skid has been recreated by others driving my Liberty. Repeated trips to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong (grinding the rotors first year is normal?)

Interior is classy, nice. Great pick- up with the V-6 when trying to pass.

Something is definately wrong with the braking package and or tires. Stopping is NOT good.

Fun Fun
By jpichicago

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the car a few days before an 800 mile trip and didn't have a chance to break in the car before leaving. It performed like a champ. I arrived feeling rested and without body aches! Aside from routine maintenance and a recall to tighten up the suspension system (Jeep was very accomodating while dealing with the recall issue), the car has been great. We'd buy another!

Visibility is great. The 4WD is simple to use and very effective. Interior styling and rear leg room.

Relocate the seat warmer buttons so they are easily visible while seated. Improve in-town gas mileage. Provide anti-lock break option (Might be available today). Sun visors that extend to provide protection from sun coming in the front-side windows.

A Great SUV
By cozz

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first SUV and has proven to be a fun and reliable vehicle. As far as gas mileage, I can't understand all the negative comments, no SUV will not do any better than the Liberty, in fact usually less. We are running Mobil 1 synthetic oil and get 21 1/2 miles per gallon on the road, not bad.

Quality construction with attention to detail. Durable seat covers. Good ride for an SUV.

Rear seats would be nice if they folded down flat. Window controls on the doors.

• SUV