Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Almost Perfect
By Maria

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Honda CR-V's performance at 60k miles was getting questionable so I traded into a used Liberty with almost every option. I really love it, as I am very picky. It handles well and has a powerful engine which makes driving it a hoot! It feels like an expensive luxury vehicle though it was quite affordable.

moonroof, leather, stereo controls on steering wheel,powerful V6 engine, interior and exterior styling, decent gas mileage (I was expecting worse after the CR-V, but it's not horrible)

I slide in the rain when turning, which is very scary; Also needs a lot of room to brake. A larger glove box, reclining rear seats and perhaps a tetch more rear cargo space. Also the handles on the inside roof are coming loose.

slippery when wet
By Sgt

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Our Jeep Liberty has been a fun and very reliable vehicle thus far. I agree with the other ratees, the 2002 Liberty did not come with the ABS. My wife complained about sliding on wet pavements, did not believe her until I went sliding thru intersection at only 20 mph. Now wife is afraid to drive in rain or snow.

Very easy to park!!!

Definately needed anti lock brakes.

I love my Liberty-just not the color
By amy foxx

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My Liberty is white and I wished I could have a red one. Other than that I do not have much to complain about, except the mileage is horrifying. It gets terrible gas mileage.

I like the outside look of my Liberty. It is fun to drive on long trips and around town.

The gas mileage needs improvement, the location of the seat warmer and the rear seats need to fold down.

Love It!!!!!!
By JoJo'sJeep

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little Liberty! I have had it for 2 and 1/2 years and it has only been in the shop for routine oil changes and the recall for ball joint. No problems with heating, cooling or anything. I totally enjoy this vehicle. It could have a little more trunk space but then it wouldn't be the sporty little SUV that it is. I do have to say that I really dislike Daimler Chrysler for the customer no-service. The ball joint recall letter never arrived and the telephone folks are abysmal. Probably would think long and hard before I buy another one of their products. But I do love my Liberty and hopefully will continue too.

Heated seats, round dashboard/interior designs, cool brushed metal look, radio controls on steering wheel

gas mileage could be better but its not terrible. Especially now that gas is $2 a gallon and more.

Breaking terrible but otherwise nice
By Maren

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with this little SUV except with the breaks. I had to get my rotors smoothed the first year and I have slid/had brakes lock at least 3 TIMES in wet weather. Never had an accident in my life but the lack of ABS and the weight of this car make it dangerous. I have hit both the left and right front tires on curbs causing hundreds of dollars of repairs and once slid right into an intersection. The skid has been recreated by others driving my Liberty. Repeated trips to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong (grinding the rotors first year is normal?)

Interior is classy, nice. Great pick- up with the V-6 when trying to pass.

Something is definately wrong with the braking package and or tires. Stopping is NOT good.