Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Love It!!!!!!
By JoJo'sJeep

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little Liberty! I have had it for 2 and 1/2 years and it has only been in the shop for routine oil changes and the recall for ball joint. No problems with heating, cooling or anything. I totally enjoy this vehicle. It could have a little more trunk space but then it wouldn't be the sporty little SUV that it is. I do have to say that I really dislike Daimler Chrysler for the customer no-service. The ball joint recall letter never arrived and the telephone folks are abysmal. Probably would think long and hard before I buy another one of their products. But I do love my Liberty and hopefully will continue too.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, round dashboard/interior designs, cool brushed metal look, radio controls on steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage could be better but its not terrible. Especially now that gas is $2 a gallon and more.

Breaking terrible but otherwise nice
By Maren

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had no problems with this little SUV except with the breaks. I had to get my rotors smoothed the first year and I have slid/had brakes lock at least 3 TIMES in wet weather. Never had an accident in my life but the lack of ABS and the weight of this car make it dangerous. I have hit both the left and right front tires on curbs causing hundreds of dollars of repairs and once slid right into an intersection. The skid has been recreated by others driving my Liberty. Repeated trips to the dealership and they say nothing is wrong (grinding the rotors first year is normal?)

Favorite Features

Interior is classy, nice. Great pick- up with the V-6 when trying to pass.

Suggested Improvements

Something is definately wrong with the braking package and or tires. Stopping is NOT good.

Fun Fun
By jpichicago

2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4dr 4WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the car a few days before an 800 mile trip and didn't have a chance to break in the car before leaving. It performed like a champ. I arrived feeling rested and without body aches! Aside from routine maintenance and a recall to tighten up the suspension system (Jeep was very accomodating while dealing with the recall issue), the car has been great. We'd buy another!

Favorite Features

Visibility is great. The 4WD is simple to use and very effective. Interior styling and rear leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the seat warmer buttons so they are easily visible while seated. Improve in-town gas mileage. Provide anti-lock break option (Might be available today). Sun visors that extend to provide protection from sun coming in the front-side windows.

A Great SUV
By cozz

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first SUV and has proven to be a fun and reliable vehicle. As far as gas mileage, I can't understand all the negative comments, no SUV will not do any better than the Liberty, in fact usually less. We are running Mobil 1 synthetic oil and get 21 1/2 miles per gallon on the road, not bad.

Favorite Features

Quality construction with attention to detail. Durable seat covers. Good ride for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seats would be nice if they folded down flat. Window controls on the doors.

A Sport Utility Vehicle big on Sporty.
By pagodacook

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4dr 4WD SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We bought one of the first Jeep Libertys available in July 2001 and have been pretty happy with it ever since. We love it for its size and stylish design. Only serious complaint is the fact that ours did not come with antilock brakes and it has slid on barely wet roads and in the snow even in 4WD. Once slid through an entire intersection on a road that could maybe pass for damp...luckily no one else was intersecting at the time. Gas mileage is what finally set us back and we have decided to trade it in.

Favorite Features

Looks great! Love the cup holders, 60/40 fold-down rear seat, privacy glass in back, ease of operation.

Suggested Improvements

Weird window power button location took a while to get used to, weak stereo, no sunroof or anti-lock brakes on our moedl. And I really hate the automatic door locking trend. Needs improved performance on wet roads.