2002 Jeep Liberty SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:
engine failuer
By rocky79 on 01/25/13 12:39 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 liberty in 2004. I have loved this vehicle since I first purchased it, the maintanence cost have been very low, I have maintained this vehicle almost to perfection with regular oil changes etc. One day it stopped working with no warning, Come to find out the engine is blown, now with more research I am finding this is a known issue. I dont even have 109,000 miles on this vehicle, it is in almost perfect condition. Now I am stuck with a worthless vehicle that I cannot even trade in, I am very disappointed I would have purchased another Jeep in a heartbeat had this not happened, now I will never touch Chrysler/Jeep again.

Won't Die
By car_guy_93 on 09/05/12 23:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car just won't die!My wife has been driving hers for the past few years,now has 187k on it and still truckin'. We have had some issues, entire exhaust system,some front end work, but nothing huge and serious, knock on wood! We did have unresolved 4WD issues last winter...we will see about this one! Definitely a noisy ride, then again we have had exhaust issues. Theres also plenty of loose 'clunky' sounds that our mechanic cannot find, that make me a little nervous. I wouldn't label this car particularly reliable or unreliable. I will say its a blast to drive and has excellent pickup, and my car is 6 years newer. You would have to rip it out of my wife's hands for her to get rid of it!

Run from it as fast as you can!
By 1hotrod on 04/24/12 14:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Liberty fall 2009. Fixes in 2 1/2 years ...Water pump and radiator $800.00+, Rear Deferential seal and door hinge $300.00+, Front struts and rear shocks $600.00+ and i did the labor myself, a rocker arm fell off and caused engine damage (a common problem in all Liberty's still!) $2100.00+, Eats front brakes and rotors, Interior lights come on and go off by themselves, Lower ball joints break (factory recall) Fuel mileage sucks. Tranny does a goofy shifting thing going down the interstate at cruising speeds. (I don't know the cause of the shifting issue.) All this before or by the time it was a 10 year old vehicle that was well maintained. My first and LAST Jeep/Chrysler!

engine light
By oma31093 on 04/24/11 10:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Jeep liberty as a pre owned car. Older lady drove it. So far we had no major problem except the engine light stays on. Took it to auto parts store did test and it said fuel cap. replaced that 3 times. Nothing. took it to dealer same result,they checked the car and found nothing told me fuel cap again. Bought another cap from them and light is still on. At 114000 miles it seems to start taken more and more gas..wet roads are also not a good thing. other then that I like to drive it and its been a good car so far

Horrible Experience
By joshandjenn916 on 06/20/09 11:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Was great til 3 yrs later, even though we keep up on all maintenance on it. It started as problems with the engine light on, then started running hard and blowing blue smoke out the exhaust. The smog place gave us a report back with over 10 codes that was causing it to fail! We brought it to several mechanics and all agreed the engine was bad. Luckily I got in inheritance and we were able to pay 8,000 to put a rebuilt engine and some other minor parts in otherwise we'd have had to let it sit while we paid it off then junked it, and now the oil light still comes one even thought its not loosing oil pressure. Turns out its an electrical problem. My opinion, don't get a liberty. MPG also stinks.

Jeep Engine Failures due to Valve Seats
By David K on 10/28/08 15:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

major problem with the valve seat coming off and damaging my Jeep Liberty engine. We purchased the car new and have continually provided maintenance on the vehicle at your dealerships. What is upsetting is the lack of interest now from your customer relations department except for your local dealership who has been supportive, on what has occurred. This is a safety issue and this problem is a manufacturer defect . This incident could have caused my daughter to have an accident since she was driving this car as a high school senior. I will take

155,000
By Alicia on 06/16/08 09:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Jeep Liberty but I too have been without air going on 3 years now. For me it also would take over $1000.00 to fix and since it cost nothing to roll my windows down, I have not replaced the air. Other than that, I have had NO PROBLEMS at all and love my little jeep! So all of you with less than 100,000 don't worry at all you still have plenty more to go! I bought my Jeep brand new in fall of 01 when they just released the 02's for sale and I am not very good about oil changes and drive hard all the time and still no worries.

Jeep Liberty-The Real Story
By J.ATL on 09/04/07 11:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Liberty brand new in 2002. Only has 37,500 miles to date. First major issue to report-- A/C compressor totally choked this summer--2 weeks in the shop, Compressor reported on "National Backorder". Quote to fix $1050 dollars. Chrysler will not help-- noting Jeep is out of warranty. Note-- only 1500 miles out of warranty when the A/C breaks. Despite 4-5 recalls to date, brakes needing readjusted, dead battery replaced, A/C Compressor breakdown and a slighly leaky sunroof-- I still like my Jeep. Chrysler should be happy--they have not done so great on this model.

The SUV that sucks gas but keeps on goin
By Jeep Liberty LE on 07/23/07 20:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

My 2002 Jeep Liberty is a great family vehicle - we can pull our camper or boat - a pig on gas but at 2200000 km it has given NO PROBLEMS - except a few recalls we never received because of resales - balljoint.... I know hear a loud "ping" sound when the Jeep idles after driving... anyone heard this before....

Love my Jeep!
By Penny on 10/05/06 14:09 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Jeep Liberty! No problems to date with 63,000 miles. Very reliable, rides great, although a tad bit rough (it IS a Jeep!). Lots of space and head/leg room (I'm 6'0 tall). Only drawback as far as cargo room is that it's not as long as other SUVs. Wouldn't trade it!