Used 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Jeep Liberty - Consumer Reviews

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV

View reviews for a specific Liberty model:

Not The Best
By ashwallace

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

One of the worse vehicles I have ever driven. I have only had my 2002 jeep for a year and i have had to replace the power steering 2 times, the oil had a leak in it so I had to fix that, we fixed the starter 2 months ago and now it won't start again, the heat went out in it and nobody can seem to find the problem with it. It is not a reliable vehicle and I wouldn't trust it.

Favorite Features

I love the build of the vehicle and it has good space in the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The whole mechanics of the vehicle needs to be changed.

engine failuer
By rocky79

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2002 liberty in 2004. I have loved this vehicle since I first purchased it, the maintanence cost have been very low, I have maintained this vehicle almost to perfection with regular oil changes etc. One day it stopped working with no warning, Come to find out the engine is blown, now with more research I am finding this is a known issue. I dont even have 109,000 miles on this vehicle, it is in almost perfect condition. Now I am stuck with a worthless vehicle that I cannot even trade in, I am very disappointed I would have purchased another Jeep in a heartbeat had this not happened, now I will never touch Chrysler/Jeep again.

Won't Die
By car_guy_93

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

This car just won't die!My wife has been driving hers for the past few years,now has 187k on it and still truckin'. We have had some issues, entire exhaust system,some front end work, but nothing huge and serious, knock on wood! We did have unresolved 4WD issues last winter...we will see about this one! Definitely a noisy ride, then again we have had exhaust issues. Theres also plenty of loose 'clunky' sounds that our mechanic cannot find, that make me a little nervous. I wouldn't label this car particularly reliable or unreliable. I will say its a blast to drive and has excellent pickup, and my car is 6 years newer. You would have to rip it out of my wife's hands for her to get rid of it!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, Love the sunroof. Four Wheel Drive (when it works). The height is perfect, and the grill guard gives it that extra edge.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, and generalized parts.

Run from it as fast as you can!
By 1hotrod

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2002 Liberty fall 2009. Fixes in 2 1/2 years ...Water pump and radiator $800.00+, Rear Deferential seal and door hinge $300.00+, Front struts and rear shocks $600.00+ and i did the labor myself, a rocker arm fell off and caused engine damage (a common problem in all Liberty's still!) $2100.00+, Eats front brakes and rotors, Interior lights come on and go off by themselves, Lower ball joints break (factory recall) Fuel mileage sucks. Tranny does a goofy shifting thing going down the interstate at cruising speeds. (I don't know the cause of the shifting issue.) All this before or by the time it was a 10 year old vehicle that was well maintained. My first and LAST Jeep/Chrysler!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive when you can drive it! It's a good looking vehicle and that's about all it has going for it! Makes a nice and expensive yard ornament!

Suggested Improvements

Make a vehicle worth buying Jeep/Chrysler. Chrysler could at least stand behind their vehicles. They know the rocker arms are a problem. Provide what it takes to fix it, not sell me back a remanufactured head from some other sucker who flipped a rocker arm.

engine light
By oma31093

2002 Jeep Liberty SUV Limited 4dr 2WD SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2002 Jeep liberty as a pre owned car. Older lady drove it. So far we had no major problem except the engine light stays on. Took it to auto parts store did test and it said fuel cap. replaced that 3 times. Nothing. took it to dealer same result,they checked the car and found nothing told me fuel cap again. Bought another cap from them and light is still on. At 114000 miles it seems to start taken more and more gas..wet roads are also not a good thing. other then that I like to drive it and its been a good car so far

Favorite Features

Room

Suggested Improvements

fixing problem on wet road performance and the engine light issue